Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...Any Christian who would cater to sodomite weddings is committing a grave sin. God will judge him for his abomination.

This is a very strong statement. There are many things the Bible calls abominations. If a baker makes a wedding cake for one who has committed one of those other abominations (e.g. lying, cheating, eating seafood without fins or scales, etc.), would you say the baker also committed a grave sin?

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I admit my earlier post may have come across as a bit harsh. To be more tactful, I should have added that active homosexuals are always welcome to repent, meaning they have to quit engaging in sexually deviant conduct and receive forgiveness from God. Sodomy is still an abomination, as is the case with all sin. But at the end of the day, we’re all sinners who need God’s mercy. There isn’t any reason why LGBT people can’t turn from their ways and embrace a holy life. It's no different for any other type of sinner.

Eating shrimp is called an abomination in the Old Testament as is wearing clothing with mixed fabrics. If you are going to use the holiness code from the Old Testament to argue that sexual orientation is an "abomination" you likely have to admit that you've committed "abomination" yourself if you've ever wore a cotton/poly blend shirt. Thankfully, last I checked, Christians don't follow the Kosher laws, the Old Testament holiness code and aren't practicing orthodox Jews.

There are a lot of reasons that LGBTQ can't be something other than who they are. You might as wells say, "people with brown eyes can turn away from having brown eyes and embrace a holy life."

You need to re-evaluate your reading of the scripture and your reading of medical science.

BTW, you were not more tactful. Using language like "deviant" and "Sodomy" lacks tact and compassion but also understanding. "Deviant" is a psychological term and psychologists and doctors no longer believe that homosexuality is "deviant" or unnatural behavior. "Sodomy" in the Bible is about the lack of hospitality and not the sexual acts in the text. It was women who were raped and not men.

If you want to talk about deviance, Lot disgustingly gave his daughter to be assaulted by the men of Sodom. So much for parental responsibility.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Eating shrimp is called an abomination in the Old Testament as is wearing clothing with mixed fabrics. If you are going to use the holiness code from the Old Testament to argue that sexual orientation is an "abomination" you likely have to admit that you've committed "abomination" yourself if you've ever wore a cotton/poly blend shirt. Thankfully, last I checked, Christians don't follow the Kosher laws, the Old Testament holiness code and aren't practicing orthodox Jews.

There are a lot of reasons that LGBTQ can't be something other than who they are. You might as wells say, "people with brown eyes can turn away from having brown eyes and embrace a holy life."

You need to re-evaluate your reading of the scripture and your reading of medical science.

BTW, you were not more tactful. Using language like "deviant" and "Sodomy" lacks tact and compassion but also understanding. "Deviant" is a psychological term and psychologists and doctors no longer believe that homosexuality is "deviant" or unnatural behavior. "Sodomy" in the Bible is about the lack of hospitality and not the sexual acts in the text. It was women who were raped and not men.

If you want to talk about deviance, Lot disgustingly gave his daughter to be assaulted by the men of Sodom. So much for parental responsibility.

The Bible calls sodomy an abomination in Leviticus 20:13. In that same verse, the death penalty is prescribed for homosexual sex. The Bible also calls eating shrimp and wearing mixed fabrics an abomination, but the death penalty is not issued for anyone who does those things. It only takes a miniscule amount of reasoning abilities to understand this means the Bible considers the act of sodomy profoundly more severe than the latter two “crimes” despite using the same word to describe all three. The fact that you didn’t catch this observation means your logic became sloppy, perhaps due to the fact that you’re so eager to promote a sexual sin which liberals now consider a great virtue and you didn’t want cogent thinking to get in the way, or your willfully omitted it for convenience. Either way, you know you’re wrong.

Your comparison of brown-eyed people and sodomites is just as disingenuous. People don’t choose their eye color, but active homosexuals choose to act on their sinful inclinations.

And don’t lecture me on language sensitivity. If innocuous words offend you, get over it. They’re just words. Haven’t you ever heard the saying, “stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Does the UMC have a definitive stance on the ethics of catering gay weddings and serving gay couples?

I grew up in the UMC but I am Lutheran today. Our denomination officially says that discrimination against gays and lesbians in public services is not countenanced, and I have it on good authority from my pastor that applies to Christians catering gay weddings. I told my pastor that I could not, in good conscience, fellowship with other Christians that saw it otherwise, because just as Paul rebuked Peter for refusing to fellowship with Gentiles, I think this strikes at the heart of the Gospel, that it frees us to serve our neighbor.

What do Methodists have to say on this? I know that the Book of Discipline says that, if I remember correctly, homosexuality is incompatible with Christianity, but I would like clarification beyond this. I know that our churches have limited recognition of shared ministry, so it is a concern I have.

I could not in good conscience be a Methodist as a result of the Book of Discipline's stance on this issue, but I would not automatically reject a Methodist as a brother in Christ with a shared ministry. So I'd like clarification on the United Methodist's stance on this issue. I've seen Methodists on this forum say different things on this issue. I would like to hear from a pastor.
This United Methodist adheres to the Lord's commandment (Leviticus 18:22) that homosexuality is an abomination.

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
This United Methodist adheres to the Lord's commandment (Leviticus 18:22) that homosexuality is an abomination.

Um, no. That language is not used in the Book of Discipline at all. The terms used are “incompatible with Christian teaching.” While I don’t agree with the current position of the Church it is not an “abomination.” Abomination is an Old Testament term for specific violations of the holiness code. We aren’t Jews, we are Christians.

Eating shell fish is listed as an abomination in the OT as is wearing mixed fabrics. If you want to describe the position of the Church please don’t extrapolate something the UMC never said.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Um, no. That language is not used in the Book of Discipline at all. The terms used are “incompatible with Christian teaching.” While I don’t agree with the current position of the Church it is not an “abomination.” Abomination is an Old Testament term for specific violations of the holiness code. We aren’t Jews, we are Christians.

Eating shell fish is listed as an abomination in the OT as is wearing mixed fabrics. If you want to describe the position of the Church please don’t extrapolate something the UMC never said.
This United Methodist is obedient to the Lord, not the United Methodist Book of Discipline. It doesn't mean I believe in harassing homosexuals, but it does mean that it disgusts me to see United Methodist pastors, superintendents, and bishops pandering to homosexuals.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This United Methodist is obedient to the Lord, not the United Methodist Book of Discipline. It doesn't mean I believe in harassing homosexuals, but it does mean that it disgusts me to see United Methodist pastors, superintendents, and bishops pandering to homosexuals.

While I am also a traditionalist on this issue, I believe your post fails to acknowledge circuitrider's soundexplanation of the word "abomination" in Leviticus. It seems that the Book of Discipline would be more in line with actual Biblical teaching than a post like #26 in this thread.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
While I am also a traditionalist on this issue, I believe your post fails to acknowledge circuitrider's soundexplanation of the word "abomination" in Leviticus. It seems that the Book of Discipline would be more in line with actual Biblical teaching than a post like #26 in this thread.
Nobody has to define "abomination" for me. The Lord made it very clear that homosexuality is a sin. I do not believe in harassing homosexuals, but when our church leaders start giving their blessing to something the Lord called a sin, we have trouble.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Should we also start enforcing the Lord's commandments vis a vis divorced persons, so you suppose?
It might depend on how you mean "enforce." I've never advocated harassing homosexuals, but when church leaders start blessing the sin of homosexuality from the pulpit, trouble follows, including church division. As for divorce, you might remember that divorce is acceptable when the reason for divorce is unchaste behavior by one's partner (Matt 19:9).

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
By enforce, of course I meant forbidding the remarriage of divorced persons in our churches or by our pastors, and disqualifying remarried divorced persons from ordination.

And you can quit trying to "teach" me scripture. Check Mark 10: 11-12.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
By enforce, of course I meant forbidding the remarriage of divorced persons in our churches or by our pastors, and disqualifying remarried divorced persons from ordination.

But as you know, it's okay to divorce someone if that person is guilty of unchasty.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But as you know, it's okay to divorce someone if that person is guilty of unchasty.
Many do not recognize that (or any other) exception.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
FrireDragon76,

I'm a UMC pastor. (an Elder in Full Connection) The UMC has no official position on the wedding cake issue. However, as said above, while we cannot at this time perform same sex marriages, we are not supposed to reject persons who are LGBTQ.

Also while I may not perform a same sex wedding or do anything that makes me look like the officient, it is my understanding that I could attend such a wedding, pray at the wedding, read a scripture, say a prayer, etc. But I could take no part in what is considered the clergy part of the wedding.

My personal opinion is that when you go into business with the public you are agreeing to sell your products equally to all members in the public. You don't get to decide you aren't going to serve someone because you don't like their race, their religion, their looks, their personal morals, their choice of spouse, etc. If you can't do that you probably shouldn't be running a public business.
Is it also your personal opinion that a Christian businessman should be legally censured and financially ruined for following the same practices as your church does when it comes to officially participating in same sex marriages?

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
But Jesus spelled it out for us (Matt 19:9) and he is still boss.

I don't think Jesus is listing that as an exception for divorce. In verse 9, Jesus states, "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” He gives that exception not to allow for divorce, but to actually say that in the cases of sexual immorality, adultery is ALREADY being committed.

I think the best route to take would be grace, however I do think we should try to really wrestle with these passages and take Jesus' teaching seriously. I think the United Methodist Book of Discipline and Social Principles takes an appropriate stand on both wedding/divorce issues.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think Jesus is listing that as an exception for divorce. In verse 9, Jesus states, "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” He gives that exception not to allow for divorce, but to actually say that in the cases of sexual immorality, adultery is ALREADY being committed.

I think the best route to take would be grace, however I do think we should try to really wrestle with these passages and take Jesus' teaching seriously. I think the United Methodist Book of Discipline and Social Principles takes an appropriate stand on both wedding/divorce issues.
No, I think he's allowing divorce in the case of unchastity. It's unclear to me whether or not it's okay to remarry in that situation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I think he's allowing divorce in the case of unchastity. It's unclear to me whether or not it's okay to remarry in that situation.
Biblically, the ONLY reason to divorce is to allow for remarriage.

Upvote 0