• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

UK variant spreading fast here, with about 1/4th vaccinated

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While most people would prefer to stop wearing masks as soon as we could....

We are only about 1/4th currently vaccinated....

And....now this is here:
"New research published this week in the British Medical Journal found the coronavirus variant originating in the United Kingdom, called B.1.1.7, is substantially more deadly than the original strain of SARS-CoV-2.

The authors say the B.1.1.7 variant is between 32 and 104% deadlier.

... more infectious than the original strain (UK authorities have suggested it’s up to 70% more transmissible).
The UK variant is likely deadlier, more infectious and becoming dominant. But the vaccines still work well against it

AND:

Soon to be 90% of all new cases. Because it spreads so much more easily and rapidly than the older strain.

So...with only about 1/4th of us vaccinated at the moment...

I think we should follow Fauci's example and set the mutual all-in-it-together group example -- group behavior people tend to follow -- of continuing to wear masks for the follow-by-example effect for a while longer.

Until vaccinated rates are high enough to really stop it, the new variant is still contagious enough to spread very rapidly if people stopped wearing masks too soon, and dangerous enough to kill plenty more people.

Last edited:

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While most people would prefer to stop wearing masks as soon as we could....

We are only about 1/3rd currently vaccinated....

And....now this is here:
"New research published this week in the British Medical Journal found the coronavirus variant originating in the United Kingdom, called B.1.1.7, is substantially more deadly than the original strain of SARS-CoV-2.

The authors say the B.1.1.7 variant is between 32 and 104% deadlier.

... more infectious than the original strain (UK authorities have suggested it’s up to 70% more transmissible).
The UK variant is likely deadlier, more infectious and becoming dominant. But the vaccines still work well against it

AND:

Soon to be 90% of all new cases. Because it spreads so much more easily and rapidly than the older strain.

So...with only about 1/3rd of us vaccinated at the moment...

I think we should follow Fauci's example and set the mutual all-in-it-together group example -- group behavior people tend to follow -- of continuing to wear masks for the follow-by-example effect for a while longer.

Until vaccinated rates are high enough to really stop it, the new variant is still contagious enough to spread very rapidly if people stopped wearing masks too soon, and dangerous enough to kill plenty more people.

What we need is more vaccines and better management ideas on getting these out.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What we need is more vaccines and better management ideas on getting these out.
While the vaccines can probably help even against the more evasive of the new variants that are widespread:
Figuring Out Whether COVID-19 Vaccines Protect Against Variants
I've heard that at some of the vaccine developers are already working on modifying their vaccines (small changes that would not need trials) to combat variants that are more evasive. So, the new vaccines needed would be much faster out if a new variant is too evasive.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While the vaccines can probably help even against the more evasive of the new variants that are widespread:
Figuring Out Whether COVID-19 Vaccines Protect Against Variants
I've heard that at some of the vaccine developers are already working on modifying their vaccines (small changes that would not need trials) to combat variants that are more evasive. So, the new vaccines needed would be much faster out if a new variant is too evasive.

My mom already signed up for one and I not yet eligible for the first set. sigh. I studied Maderna, and know its effective at least against the older version. who knows maybe by the time I can get the vaccine the update will already be in them.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mom already signed up for one and I not yet eligible for the first set. sigh. I studied Maderna, and know its effective at least against the older version. who knows maybe by the time I can get the vaccine the update will already be in them.
Progress in vaccination lately is picking up here a lot. We are just moving to phase 1C I think, which is the last phase before an open-to-everyone phase. Right now, anyone with risk factors or exposure situations (such as 100% of school staff) pretty much can get a vaccine, or try to get an appointment that is. And that will progress along looks like.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Progress in vaccination lately is picking up here a lot. We are just moving to phase 1C I think, which is the last phase before an open-to-everyone phase. Right now, anyone with risk factors or exposure situations (such as 100% of school staff) pretty much can get a vaccine, or try to get an appointment that is. And that will progress along looks like.

JS: Out here if your in certain areas the number of vaccinated are rising but if your in the stix as we are, we are way below the national and state average. Vaccines are going toward more populated regions though Niagara county which isn't rural also is below the average for some reason.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JS: Out here if your in certain areas the number of vaccinated are rising but if your in the stix as we are, we are way below the national and state average. Vaccines are going toward more populated regions though Niagara county which isn't rural also is below the average for some reason.
Ah, yeah, that would be a problem, to not get enough vaccine out to rural places.

Upvote 0

sesquiterpene

Sep 14, 2018
USA
✟158,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Moderna has already started human trials of a modified vaccine to cover some of the variants. It won't need full Phase III testing.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, yeah, that would be a problem, to not get enough vaccine out to rural places.

I think a lot of these problems will end when they treat this vaccine like the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine can be given out by ones doctor. I usual get mine that way. Other use pharmacies, but they are not using doctors and there are a lot more doctors in rural ares than pharmacies the state might choose to use..

Upvote 0