UK politics: Should a Christian get involved?

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should Christians become involved in politics (I mean more than just voting) such as becoming a member of a political party?
On one hand, I think some parties have good stances on important issues to Christians and so it might seem right to get involved somewhat. However, politics is divisive and so becoming politically affiliated would most likely have an effect on people you can reach and people you can witness to.

Last edited:

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm for me we know there are many believers out there as in Congress and other places. I guess I could do say nothing and allow the enemy do take over he can lol or.. pray stand in the gap and remember just where the battle is yet.. when things like abortion pop up .. I will take a stand. As for political party.. wow that can be hard.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Should Christians become involved in politics such as becoming a member of a political party?
On one hand, I think some parties have good stances on important issues to Christians and so it might seem right to get involved somewhat. However, politics is divisive and so becoming politically affiliated would most likely have an effect on people you can reach and people you can witness to.

And what on Earth does one's religious convictions have to do with political involvement? :scratch: I don't see how it's relevant at all.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And what on Earth does one's religious convictions have to do with political involvement? :scratch: I don't see how it's relevant at all.
Because it could potentially affect your reach if you were called into ministry.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As it is politics that is murdering babies, failure to participate in the political process it tantamount to waving goodbye to the little ones. Voting is not an arduous thing to do. God in His mercy has enabled us to participate in this matter. Why would we not? I suspect very strongly that if 1st century Christians could choose their Ceasar, we might not have had Nero or Caligula. If you had the opportunity to prevent a Hitler simply by showing up on the first Tuesday of November, wouldn't you do it?
Of course, we should participate in the election of our leaders. It is silly not to.

Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟483,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think involvement in partisan politics should be limited to voting. A plank or two in a party platform may appeal to a person; But beyond voting, I believe involvement in partisan politics is inconsistent with Christian life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As it is politics that is murdering babies, failure to participate in the political process it tantamount to waving goodbye to the little ones. Voting is not an arduous thing to do. God in His mercy has enabled us to participate in this matter. Why would we not? I suspect very strongly that if 1st century Christians could choose their Ceasar, we might not have had Nero or Caligula. If you had the opportunity to prevent a Hitler simply by showing up on the first Tuesday of November, wouldn't you do it?
Of course, we should participate in the election of our leaders. It is silly not to.
I should’ve been more clear. I didn’t mean something like voting. Rather getting involved with a particular party, canvassing for them, publicly endorsing them etc.

• Friendly
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can pretty much credit pro-life Christians' for the pro-life plank platform to in in the Republican Party. I thank God for the opportunity to have been involved in the party since the mid 80s. I was a precinct manager in the county level and a delegate to the state convention in the effort to get Pat Robertson into the white house. Believe me, "Regular" Republicans did not like us moving in on their territory!
I am convinced if Christians had not pushed pro-life candidates for the last 30 years, we would not have the justices on the supreme court that just tossed out Roe verses Wade. There are other planks in the platform that we need to continue to push. Failure to do this may result in the continued indoctrination of children in public schools.
I feel good about what we have done in this area. My conscience is clear.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can pretty much credit pro-life Christians' for the pro-life plank platform to in in the Republican Party. I thank God for the opportunity to have been involved in the party since the mid 80s. I was a precinct manager in the county level and a delegate to the state convention in the effort to get Pat Robertson into the white house. Believe me, "Regular" Republicans did not like us moving in on their territory!
I am convinced if Christians had not pushed pro-life candidates for the last 30 years, we would not have the justices on the supreme court that just tossed out Roe verses Wade. There are other planks in the platform that we need to continue to push. Failure to do this may result in the continued indoctrination of children in public schools.
I feel good about what we have done in this area. My conscience is clear.
I guess each Christian has their own role planned for them. God told my pastor to stay out of politics but that order was to him and I shouldn’t assume it is the same for everyone.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, politics is divisive and so becoming politically affiliated would most likely have an effect on people you can reach and people you can witness to.

Politics does seem to be so toxic these days, so easy to get people riled up and angered.

The bible says that we do not have a citizenship here, we are citizens of heaven, strangers in the world and that Jesus' Kingdom is not of this world. In a sense becoming too political takes us towards the world and away from our allegiance to the Kingdom of God. We cannot serve two Masters. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As it is politics that is murdering babies, failure to participate in the political process it tantamount to waving goodbye to the little ones.

Hello! The issue might be that in the UK all political parties are vehemently in favour of abortion and Q Elizabeth the often touted Christian head of state signed abortion into law. So no amount of political agitation in the UK is going to effect the legal status of abortion here. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should Christians become involved in politics (I mean more than just voting) such as becoming a member of a political party?

Politics is the art of the possible and a Christian involved in politics is doing what he can to slant things in a Christian direction. I see a number of main focuses here:

1) To oppose and argue against outright attacks on the church and immoral laws. So prohibitions on evangelism and challenging abortion would be two of these.
2) To support freedom of religion allowing the church to worship in peace and to express honest biblical positions e.g. on LGBTQ without being arrested or fired for them.
3) To serve the communities that Christians are a part of by seeking good stewardship, honesty, and righteousness in the institutions of governance.

Upvote 0