Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it fair to say that somebody has a mental illness if they believed that one race was superior to every other race, or if they have stated sexual preference for one race above all others?

For instance, Former BNP Leader Nick Griffin said to Jeremy Paxman that he would be "extremely distressed if his daughter fell in love with a Black or Asian".

Yet, neither Nick nor his predecessor (John Tyndale) have ever been diagnosed with mental illnesses (Such as schizophrenia or personality disorder etc), so WHAT is the big deal if somebody has a stated (sexual) preference?

Most British White people have never dated a Black or Asian (Nor would they wish to) as they clearly prefer white people over ethnic minorities - Since by indoctrination, most whites would tend to believe in their superiority - Although they would never say it to your face.

So, are we to presume that British people do not have the same rights as Blacks or Asians to have a stated preference in such regard?

Why is it presumed to be a "mental illness" if somebody believed in the "superiority of one race above all others", (e.g. Black supremacy or White supremacy etc)?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No idea, but I'm a psych major, so you've just given me something else to lay awake at night to think about. Thanks.:clap:
I'll talk to my psych professors about this; defining the differences between mental illnesses and general stupidity is an endless debate.
I'll get back to you on this.:)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why is it presumed to be a "mental illness" if somebody believed in the "superiority of one race above all others", (e.g. Black supremacy or White supremacy etc)?
It is absurd to classify the belief as a mental illness, but sticking certain terms on people with whom we disagree politically has become a common way of denigrating or diminishing them. It doesn't really matter if the term is accurate; it packs a punch. Therefore, this tactic is becoming more and more popular in our society.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is it fair to say that somebody has a mental illness if they believed that one race was superior to every other race, or if they have stated sexual preference for one race above all others?

For instance, Former BNP Leader Nick Griffin said to Jeremy Paxman that he would be "extremely distressed if his daughter fell in love with a Black or Asian".

Yet, neither Nick nor his predecessor (John Tyndale) have ever been diagnosed with mental illnesses (Such as schizophrenia or personality disorder etc), so WHAT is the big deal if somebody has a stated (sexual) preference?

Most British White people have never dated a Black or Asian (Nor would they wish to) as they clearly prefer white people over ethnic minorities - Since by indoctrination, most whites would tend to believe in their superiority - Although they would never say it to your face.

So, are we to presume that British people do not have the same rights as Blacks or Asians to have a stated preference in such regard?

This post is a little offensive because mental illness is an illness and in most cases diagnosed by a doctor if someone really has one.

To say that mental illness is a belief is to really downplay that mental illness is real and many times a problem with body function (the body not making or release endorphins into the brain) or other issues that are medical and NOT THOUGHT or BELIEF RELATED.

Educate yourself!!!!!!!! :mad: :scratch:

If someone has say diabetes, you know that their body does not handle sugar well and it is the body that creates the issue.

Someone needs to close this offensive thread and maybe the OP does some research and then creates another thread NOT using mental illness as a scapegoat.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is absurd to classify the belief as a mental illness, but sticking certain terms on people with whom we disagree politically has become a common way of denigrating or diminishing them. It doesn't really matter if the term is accurate; it packs a punch. Therefore, this tactic is becoming more and more popular in our society.
Thank you Albion.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Mental illness is being confused with spiritual illness. It's often a fatal mistake.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nope. Not fair to say at all. Your minimizing bigots. Mental illness is something normally in your DNA, etc. Prejudice on the other hand is ignorance. Ignorance isn't a mental illness.

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I prefer to marry a woman within my own ethnic group. I also prefer to live in a neighborhood and city or town where my ethnic group is the majority. Yet so many people would call me "racist" just for having these preferences. But I don't hate anyone because of their race.

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is absurd to classify the belief as a mental illness, but sticking certain terms on people with whom we disagree politically has become a common way of denigrating or diminishing them.
As you say, such tactics are becoming more and more common in our society, but my purpose was simply to refute the person who made this remark, and yours is pretty much the best and most accurate assessment for that purpose.

It doesn't really matter if the term is accurate; it packs a punch. Therefore, this tactic is becoming more and more popular in our society.
I accept that this tactic is becoming more and more popular in society, but does that make it "right"?

Remember that the Bible has commanded Christians never to give false testimony against their neighbour (Exodus 20:16); and this commandment is still supported by the new covenant as can be observed in Revelation 21:8 - Which is a diatribe against people who tell LIES about God, or about their fellow humans.

Since, the new covenant has commanded all Christians to "Love God, and to love their fellow humans" - Matthew 22:37-40, Mark 12:30-31, and Luke 10:27-28 - But telling lies to deliberately denigrate or diminish somebody with whom you disagree is exactly the opposite of this.

Such people who deliberately tell lies are clearly not Christian at all - But instead, they are like Tares or Children of Satan, since they belong to the Father of lies ¶ John 8:44 - Since they have no inkling of what the Bible has commanded, nor do they realize the consequences of such transgressions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Racism itself is ridiculous. Scripture says “from two people God made all the people of the world.” And again “He is no respecter of persons” and again “He loves all equally.”

We are all to be judged by the exact same “bar of righteousness”
So what does it matter what someone else does/think/say.

If someone does righteousness he will be blessed, if someone does unrighteousness he won’t be. It’s as simple as that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As you say, such tactics are becoming more and more common in our society, but my purpose was simply to refute the person who made this remark, and yours is pretty much the best and most accurate assessment for that purpose.

I accept that this tactic is becoming more and more popular in society, but does that make it "right"?
No, of course it is not right. I thought that my reply made that clear. It's not right to deliberately misrepresent someone else. Unfortunately, it has become something done routinely these days. You may have caught the fact that, on the popular TV show, The View, one of the hostesses insisted recently that Vice President Pence is mentally ill because, you see, he is a Christian!

In addition, and as another poster pointed out, to call people mentally ill simply in order to ridicule their political beliefs is unfair to those people who actually are mentally ill.

• Agree
Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Racism itself is ridiculous. Scripture says “from two people God made all the people of the world.” And again “He is no respecter of persons” and again “He loves all equally.”
That God is no respecter of persons is specifically in reference to the fact that all people are to be judged by the same standard. ¶ Romans 2:11 ¶ Acts 10:34

They are "equal" insofar as their sins are to be Judged by the same standard; but this has nothing to do with the Social hierarchy, which is God ordained and clearly stated in Romans 9:21.

And no, God does Not love all people equally; as it is clearly stated that "God loved Jacob, but hated Esau" ¶ Malachi 1:2-3 ¶ Romans 9:13.

In other words, God loved Israel more than the Founding Father of the Edomites; which is why one country is blessed, but the other is cursed.

We are all to be judged by the exact same “bar of righteousness”
So what does it matter what someone else does/think/say.

If someone does righteousness he will be blessed,
if someone does unrighteousness he won’t be. It’s as simple as that.
It matters a great deal, as no Christian can be saved without the Gospel of Salvation as taught by Jesus; which entails one's observance of the new covenant = Luke 10:27-28 and Romans 10:9.

So, if somebody does/says/think something which is contrary to the Covenant, then that person cannot be saved out of his/her ignorance (assuming that they remain ignorant, and died ignorant of the Truth), or because they are "Christians" who have broken (or rejected) the Covenant of Salvation ¶ Isaiah 24:5 ¶ Hebrews 6:4-6 ¶ Hebrews 10:26-29

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that "God supports freedom and democracy", since freedom (or free speech) could well be evil and licentious and contrary to God's law.

Therefore, the Covenant of Salvation does not entitle you to do/say/think anything you want; as your so called "freedom" could well be contrary to the terms and conditions stated by the Covenant.

So called "freedom and democracy" does not serve to excuse those who are ignorant (and remain ignorant), nor does it absolve those who have broken (or rejected) the Covenant of Salvation ¶ Isaiah 24:5 ¶ Hebrews 6:4-6 ¶ Hebrews 10:26-29.

Such people are not deemed to be righteous if they are ignorant of the Gospel (and remained ignorant), nor are they righteous if they have broken (or rejected) the Covenant of Salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This post is a little offensive because mental illness is an illness and in most cases diagnosed by a doctor if someone really has one.

To say that mental illness is a belief is to really downplay that mental illness is real and many times a problem with body function (the body not making or release endorphins into the brain) or other issues that are medical and NOT THOUGHT or BELIEF RELATED.

Educate yourself!!!!!!!! :mad: :scratch:

If someone has say diabetes, you know that their body does not handle sugar well and it is the body that creates the issue.

Someone needs to close this offensive thread and maybe the OP does some research and then creates another thread NOT using mental illness as a scapegoat.

The post was not offensive nor is the thread. The OP was asking a legitimate question but even if the OP had made a statement you personally decided to take offence to, that would be no reason to close the thread unless it broke a rule of the forum. Asking a question about people's attitudes is not against forum rules as far as I know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mistake, what I meant to say was “ what does it matter what a person does/think/say as pertaining to what they think about you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
Since the new covenant has commanded All Christians to "Love God, and to love your neighbour", which means to "honour and respect them".

Whereas, in the Greek language there are different words to describe the different types of "love", e.g. "I love chocolate", "I love my book", "I love my football team", "I love my country", and "I love such, and such a person" etc.

But in the English language there is only one word for "love", which could well be nuanced (or substituted by using similar words) according to the particular circumstances.

So, to "Love God, and love your neighbour" means to "honour/respect" them in the specific context of the new covenant = Luke 10:27-28 and Romans 10:9.

But any action, speech or thought which is contrary to "honour/respect" is specifically in breach of the Covenant = Luke 10:27-28 and Romans 10:9.

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But it says more about your own opinion than the actual intent of the OP.

Offence was never the intention of the OP to put your mind to rest.

As you say, mental illnesses are invariably diagnosed by doctors and paramedics - Since, nobody else is qualified to make the assessment.

Therefore, no layman can presume to be 'better' than other laity in regards to the fact that nobody is qualified to make the assessment, with the exception of doctors and paramedics.

Thus, it is preposterous for any layman to make the charge of "mental illness", since the Accuser is probably no more qualified than the one Accused.

Note: The purpose of the OP is to ascertain the official line of the British medical establishment (e.g. The British Medical Association, British Psychological Association, and the Royal College of Psychiatrists etc), as to whether or not racism can be defined as a mental illness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mistake, what I meant to say was “ what does it matter what a person does/think/say as pertaining to what they think about you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
The new covenant prescribes and/or proscribes the following:-

(1) What you should or should not do in regards to Jesus Christ.

(2) What you should or should not think in regards to Jesus Christ.

(3) What you should or should not say in regards to Jesus Christ.

In a nutshell, the Covenant of Christ is defined by the terms and conditions stated by Luke 10:27-28 and Romans 10:9.

No Christian can be saved without the Gospel of Salvation, which includes Knowledge of the Covenant = Luke 10:27-28 and Romans 10:9.

Upvote 0