UK Family 'Traumatized' After Arrest at US-Canada Border

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The Washington Post reports on the plight of David and Eileen Connors, who say they were driving near the US border close to Vancouver on Oct. 3 when an animal blocked their path, forcing them to take a detour on a smaller road. That's when the Connors say an American cop pulled them over, told them they'd crossed the border into the US, and took them all into custody. Where the family was flown to two days later: the Berks Family Residential Center in Leesport, Pa., which the Inquirer notes has been slammed by critics as being a "baby jail." "We have been treated like criminals here, stripped of our rights, and lied to. ... It is undoubtedly the worst experience we have ever lived through," Eileen Connors, 24, says in a sworn statement.

UK family 'traumatized' after arrest at US-Canada border

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
US Customs is sometimes inexplicable. I recall a case where a Canadian was boating on the Niagara River below the falls. His boat was disabled and sinking so he swam to the nearest shore which was the USA. He was stranded at the base of a cliff and was rescued by the US Coast Guard and taken into custody by immigration. It took almost a week to get him back to Canada.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That would be illegal.
Whilst spending thousands of dollars shipping them thousands of miles to detention centres, separating and traumatizing them,because they accidentally crossed a border whilst on holiday, is legal and right?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Whilst spending thousands of dollars shipping them thousands of miles to detention centres, separating and traumatizing them,because they accidentally crossed a border whilst on holiday, is legal and right?

Yeah.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Your sympathy for a family on holiday, with a 3 month old, accidentally cross a poorly marked(if marked at all) border and are treated as terrorists/drug runners, is noted.
The law knows no sympathy.

The law can also be very silly.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your sympathy for a family on holiday, with a 3 month old, accidentally cross a poorly marked(if marked at all)

I missed that part of the article....

Who said it was poorly marked? The Canadian government or US government?

border and are treated as terrorists/drug runners, is noted.

They were treated as those who crossed the border illegally.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I missed that part of the article....

Who said it was poorly marked? The Canadian government or US government?

They were treated as those who crossed the border illegally.
Were they though?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The last time we were invaded by England, they came down from CANADA! Good for our brave Border Patrol keeping us safe from the English Hordes that wish to defile our shores.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Were they though?

As far as I can tell....

Seems like prosecutors decided not to prosecute....since it's a bit of a waste of time for them...they have that discretion.

Otherwise yes....seems the treatment was rather similar to what we've read in other situations.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I can see complaining about one or the other...but not both.
I think in this case it would have been better for everyone involved to ignore the law.

And besides that point, even if this is the law, the law certainly doesn't mandate the things this family went through, if their claims turn out to be true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think in this case it would have been better for everyone involved to ignore the law.

I wonder what story they would be singing then? Do you think it would be one of racial inequity and relative ease for "white people"?

I'm glad they were treated the same. Equality under the law and all that.

And besides that point, even if this is the law, the law certainly doesn't mandate the things this family went through, if their claims turn out to be true.

Such as?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I wonder what story they would be singing then? Do you think it would be one of racial inequity and relative ease for "white people"?

I'm glad they were treated the same. Equality under the law and all that.

Such as?
Yeah, you're propably right. This is just like with Ebola. As soon as it happens to white people, things are bound to improve.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The last time we were invaded by England, they came down from CANADA! Good for our brave Border Patrol keeping us safe from the English Hordes that wish to defile our shores.

Throughout the War of 1812 Chesapeake Bay was basically an English Lake. The attack on Washington was launched from there in retaliation for burning of Newark(Niagara-on the Lake) and the sack of York (Toronto). Until then sympathy for the Americans was strong in Canada. The atrocities turned the tide.

Upvote 0