UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully that prediction will prove as accurate as this one....

Maybe put the change of username to Mystic Meg on hold for now? :p
Indeed, but don't be surprised to see another election, especially after the boundary change legislation is enacted.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
IMG_0008.PNG

And here's some of the tories new coalition partners:eek:

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There's going to another Tory leader and an election with the next year.

And this time people will not be voting Labour as a protest vote because they have no fear of Corbyn getting in. My prediction is that it will be held in the spring during university holidays.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
For the 6 months before the new election.

A lot of good things can be accomplished in six months, just look how great we have become in 4 ½.

• Haha
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Political posturing of some egos aside, Europeans on both side of the Channel are pragmatists rather than driven by blind ideologies for ideology's sake. Brexit is not a winner-takes-it-all situation. No one wants a failed or failing state or market behind their border. Everyone wants reliable, cooperative and solvent neighbours (cue: everyone wants the Norwegians). The EU needs Britain and Britain needs the EU, because you can't change the geography and shared history.

I'm like :astonished:

That is a hopeful position to take. Juncker seems to talk in more punitive terms towards the UK. But yes ideally we want an arrangement that works for the EU and for the UK and allows us to stay friends. Right now I am most worried about my own status as a UK national in Europe. If I take a German passport (dual nationality) will I lose my British one eventually when someone in Germany gets angry with the Brits later on or would I be able to simply get rid of my German passport at that point and struggle on as a Brit in Europe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the annoying thing is we are probably going to be having a second election within the next year. Possibly with a human running the Tory campaign this time, Boris probably:doh:

Not sure Boris would be the best guy for the job and especially for BREXIT negotiations. Also not sure we need the extra turmoil. Many of the senior figures were complicit in the decision to go for the election vote so they hardly blame May for it and it is unclear if a new election would split the party or unite it around a new strong leader untarnished by the failed election attempt. With the DUP the government is still in place albeit must now be more sensitive to the issues of EU non nationals , borders with EU and freedom of movement and trade that are raised by the Irish border.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Not sure Boris would be the best guy for the job and especially for BREXIT negotiations. Also not sure we need the extra turmoil. Many of the senior figures were complicit in the decision to go for the election vote so they hardly blame May for it and it is unclear if a new election would split the party or unite it around a new strong leader untarnished by the failed election attempt. With the DUP the government is still in place albeit must now be more sensitive to the issues of EU non nationals , borders with EU and freedom of movement and trade that are raised by the Irish border.
the issue is that you cannot run a govt with a majority of two. Theresa May will be out with six months and the new leader will go to the polls for a mandate.

Especially since I think good percentage of the labour vote were people voting in protest at the Tories rubbish manifesto and robotic Theresa May. They'll be asking themselves how reliable is the youth vote, and if we hold the election during university holidays....

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the issue is that you cannot run a govt with a majority of two. Theresa May will be out with six months and the new leader will go to the polls for a mandate.

Especially since I think good percentage of the labour vote were people voting in protest at the Tories rubbish manifesto and robotic Theresa May. They'll be asking themselves how reliable is the youth vote, and if we hold the election during university holidays....

Sinn Fein do not vote so it is an effective majority of 328 versus 315 (13 seats). But unfortunately this still gives enormous power to backbench nutters who do not know when to shut up for the good of the country. It is going to be a tumultuous few years

The vote in England was skewed by young people turning up to the polls with a Leftist and Remain agenda. Seats like Kennsington were lost because of the "revenge of the Remainers". Political opportunism hardly worked out last time did it. The big risk here is allowing a resurgent Corbyn (I still cannot get my head around the stupidity of that) to be PM and do the BREXIT negotiations.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One big lesson I draw from this election as from BREXIT is that the ones we ignore and assume cannot hurt us are the ones that do us in. In the case of the BREXIT campaign it was the marginalised old and working class who voted Leave against the wishes of the political establishment. In the case of this election it has been young people and Remainers that have skewed the vote against the government and in doing so sided with a Labour leader whose policies would be a disaster for the country if implemented. There is a frustration with a kind of leadership that takes its own prowess and success for granted. This at a time when young people feel deprived of the freedom of movement and opportunity the EU once gave, who are loaded down with high student loans and who have a snowballs chance in hell of affording their own home. Desperation and wishful thinking about reversing the BREXIT decision are behind this shock result.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sinn Fein do not vote so it is an effective majority of 328 versus 315 (13 seats). But unfortunately this still gives enormous power to backbench nutters who do not know when to shut up for the good of the country. It is going to be a tumultuous few years

The vote in England was skewed by young people turning up to the polls with a Leftist and Remain agenda. Seats like Kennsington were lost because of the "revenge of the Remainers". Political opportunism hardly worked out last time did it. The big risk here is allowing a resurgent Corbyn (I still cannot get my head around the stupidity of that) to be PM and do the BREXIT negotiations.
Maybe, but given the inevitable disaster of the brexit negotiations I wonder which party will wish to carry the blame? And which party will be blamed for this coalition of chaos?

And as for the young, since when have the Tories made policies directed at them? Apart from of cause ensuring if they go to uni they are truly saddled with debt.(Yes I know Labour introducedtuition fees)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe, but given the inevitable disaster of the brexit negotiations I wonder which party will wish to carry the blame? And which party will be blamed for this coalition of chaos?

And as for the young, since when have the Tories made policies directed at them? Apart from of cause ensuring if they go to uni they are truly saddled with debt.(Yes I know Labour introducedtuition fees)

It is going to be harder to take a strong stance against punitive measures from the EU. But the Tories could use such unfair treatment to strengthen their own political position in preparation for a new election eventually. But coalition politics will require the Irish and backbenchers to be on board against a common enemy and for a common goal. That requires leadership.

Personally I think the bad thing Labour did for young people was extending higher education too widely. Basically it would have been better for many young people to go into apprenticeships than a university education that costs them a fortune and brings little extra reward. A smaller university system could have been directly supported by taxation without raising the ridiculous expectations and costs of the current system. Social mobility is not enhanced by putting working class people who want to get on in debt to the extent that modern students are. It would have been better served by grammar schools allowing talented and motivated people from poorer backgrounds to rise and scholarships to university.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well the Tories entering talks to form a formal coalition with the DUP, it just supply and demand. So who predicted that a former member of a terrorist organisation, Peter Robinson, could be part of the cabinet within the month.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 198906
Well may did say there would be a coalition of chaos lead by terrorist sympathisers. We just did not guess it would be her.

Quis separabit - "who can separate" is a unionist slogan that is pretty much redundant as a current consideration since INDYREF2 is now off the agenda and there is no democratic mandate for Northern Ireland to become a part of Eire.

The DU and Sinn Fein share a common interest in preserving links with mainland Ireland for the sake of the Northern Irish economy and the questions of freedom of movement and single market in the Irish context are woven into that consideration. That they will fight for the interests of the union is exactly what we need right now.

In negotiations with EU on the one hand it is us versus Juncker and other pigheaded punitive European reps. On the other hand it is Irish men in and out of the EU who want to stay friends and be able to visit and work with each other. Both of these instincts are useful in the negotiation process.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Got to say it is looking debatable as to whether Theresa May will survive the first confidence vote. She has already been forced to backtrack on a formal coalition because even her fellow Tories find them unpalatable.

There will be a new election by end of year.

Upvote 0