Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
A new political organisation seeking cross party support has been founded to promote:
A fair, modern, efficient market based economy that closes the gap between rich and poor and supports strong public services

A modern democracy that empowers citizens, rather than politicians

A green economy that protects the environment and works to reverse climate change

An open and tolerant society where diversity is celebrated in all its forms

A United Kingdom that welcomes immigration, international co-operation and a close relationship with the EU
While this is pretty vague, the organisation is in it's early stages.

I just thought I'd start a thread on it.
For less tribal folk wanting politicians and parties(seemingly primarily of the centre and left of centre) to work together, perhaps registering support will nudge the parties in the right direction?
http://www.moreunited.uk/

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We've also had a few "movements" like this one pop up in the USA, too. They're completely artificial and never go anywhere. I suspect that that's mainly because there isn't anything that's "crossover" about their principles or objectives. These people might just as well have taken out a website announcing that the Green Party (for example) had changed its name and was asking for funds.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
We've also had a few "movements" like this one pop up in the USA, too. They're completely artificial and never go anywhere. I suspect that that's mainly because there isn't anything that's "crossover" about their principles or objectives. These people might just as well have taken out a website announcing that the Green Party (for example) had changed its name and was asking for funds.
I see what you're saying. In this case, the group is supported by notable Liberal Democrats, and I don't think it impossible that this group will flop in it's cross party appeal and become an extension of the party.

There's been calls for political cooperation for a long time though, and recent events have exacerbated the need for it.
In turn, I'll try and be an optimist, contribute to it best I can, and hope it takes off. To me it seems better to at least give it a go, I'm not obligated to give anything. I'll be disappointed if nothing comes of it, but that's life.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see what you're saying. In this case, the group is supported by notable Liberal Democrats, and I don't think it impossible that this group will flop in it's cross party appeal and become an extension of the party.
Yes, I didn't see any of them identified as such, but I do know that some evidence of support from a person or persons of a different affiliation is going to be part of the appeal. That's as it has been done in the USA, too. But you say "notable" Liberal Democrats, and that sort of thing has usually been absent from the American parallel. Here it's normally been some corporate executive or small-time politician or entertainer etc. that represents the "other" party in the literature.

Also, your mention of this does remind me that having a multi-party system makes this kind of project more credible than it would be in the USA. Here, there are no two parties that are similar enough for there to be any such coming together. There are minor--really minor--parties, of course, and also the stray rebel like a Michael Bloomberg who goes back and forth between the parties and retains some importance only because of his money.

There's been calls for political cooperation for a long time though, and recent events have exacerbated the need for it.
In turn, I'll try and be an optimist, contribute to it best I can, and hope it takes off. To me it seems better to at least give it a go, I'm not obligated to give anything. I'll be disappointed if nothing comes of it, but that's life.
Despite my skepticism, I wish you well.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A new political organisation seeking cross party support has been founded to promote:

For less tribal folk wanting politicians and parties(seemingly primarily of the centre and left of centre) to work together, perhaps registering support will nudge the parties in the right direction?
This organisation would make sense, seeing as the Tories and Labour, at least the Blairites in Labour, are two sides of the same coin. There isn't anything between them.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I wouldn't bother, it seems that's the Lib Dems manifesto in truncated form. One would think that with Labour in disarray and UKIP committing suicide that there is room for the Lib Dems to make a comeback, but lets see what happens at the next elections.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I wouldn't bother, it seems that's the Lib Dems manifesto in truncated form. One would think that with Labour in disarray and UKIP committing suicide that there is room for the Lib Dems to make a comeback, but lets see what happens at the next elections.
I'm not so sure. Other than the word "moderate" being used a few times on the site, the principles it lists could well apply to most of the left of centre parties.

I guess the Lib Dems could be polling around 12 to 15% if Labour stays on its current trajectory.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm not so sure. Other than the word "moderate" being used a few times on the site, the principles it lists could well apply to most of the left of centre parties.

I guess the Lib Dems could be polling around 12 to 15% if Labour stays on its current trajectory.

Actually it could have been lifted from Theresa Mays "welcome to the Prime Minister job" speech, she went all "equality and diversity......."

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Actually it could have been lifted from Theresa Mays "welcome to the Prime Minister job" speech, she went all "equality and diversity......."
That was a pretty odd speech.
Makes me wonder how many people would take it at face value. Then again, most people don't follow day to day politics, so it was probably a good move on May's part.

Upvote 0