Uganda legislature passes a law making it a crime to be gay [law signed, includes death penalty for some cases]

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Uganda's parliament passed a law on Tuesday making it a crime to identify as LGBTQ, handing authorities broad powers to target gay Ugandans who already face legal discrimination and mob violence.

More than 30 African countries, including Uganda, already ban same-sex relations. The new law appears to be the first to outlaw merely identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ), according to rights group Human Rights Watch.

The legislation will be sent to President Yoweri Museveni to be signed into law.

[If this sounds familiar, Museveni signed a notable anti-gay law in 2014 that originally called for the death penalty (later modified to life in prison). It was later ruled invalid by their Supreme Court. Museveni vetoed a similar bill in 2021.]

ETA: [A modified version has been signed by the president.] Uganda’s parliament originally passed the bill in March [i.e. the OP] but it was returned to legislators by a presidential veto. The final bill, approved by Museveni, remains largely the same but no longer includes a requirement for people to report homosexual activity or criminalizes the mere identifying as LGBTQ+.

Last edited:

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The nation’'s President Yoweri Museweni is a long-time opponent of legitimizing the LGBTQ community, saying that homosexuality is not something that should be normalized or celebrated." Amen

"According to the lawmaker, the purpose of the bill is to protect the culture, religious and family values of the Ugandan people "from acts that are likely to promote sexual promiscuity in this country."

Allot of countries think we USA have some awful laws.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,015.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The more "the West" is "progressing" toward sexual deviance and open sodomy the more the rest of the world will have to implement such laws. Without the US and EU promoting LGBTQIP+ "rights" these African countries wouldn't even talk about legislature like this one.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uganda's parliament passed a law on Tuesday making it a crime to identify as LGBTQ, handing authorities broad powers to target gay Ugandans who already face legal discrimination and mob violence.

More than 30 African countries, including Uganda, already ban same-sex relations. The new law appears to be the first to outlaw merely identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ), according to rights group Human Rights Watch.

The legislation will be sent to President Yoweri Museveni to be signed into law.

[If this sounds familiar, Museveni signed a notable anti-gay law in 2014 that originally called for the death penalty (later modified to life in prison). It was later ruled invalid by their Supreme Court. Museveni vetoed a similar bill in 2021.]
Maybe CPAC can hold their next convention there.

Upvote 0

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟270,830.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The more "the West" is "progressing" toward sexual deviance and open sodomy the more the rest of the world will have to implement such laws. Without the US and EU promoting LGBTQIP+ "rights" these African countries wouldn't even talk about legislature like this one.
That's such a weird take since it's an open secret that American evangelical groups have been very influential on the passage of anti-LGBT legislation in Africa but Uganda specifically

Here's just one example

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That's such a weird take since it's an open secret that American evangelical groups have been very influential on the passage of anti-LGBT legislation in Africa but Uganda specifically

Here's just one example

That's not really surprising. Since the 19th century, Evangelicals have been at the forefront of spreading fundamentalist religion into Africa.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is incredibly sad. I believe that homosexual acts are gravely sinful, but I also believe that we should not unjustly discriminate against those who suffer from same-sex attraction. I strongly disagree with this proposed law.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,228.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Here's just one example

I always love comments like this. It is not the fault of the Africans. Clearly it is the American Evangelists. Because African people don't have agency. They can't tell if the evangelists are lying to them. They can't form their own opinion but merely accept what is told to them. If that was the case why can't progressive Americans do the same and sway them the other way?

You tend to forget that most of Africa is still very conservative in nature even prior to colonialization. They value their traditions and way of life. The same values they hold after converting to Christianity and Islam.

I don't agree with the laws passed, in fact I think it unjust. But to simplify it to evangelist pulling the strings is disingenuous at best. It is low key looking down on Ugandans' ability to think for themselves. From what I read the bill has the backing of the majority of parliament. A parliament voted by the people of Uganda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I always love comments like this. It is not the fault of the Africans. Clearly it is the American Evangelists. Because African people don't have agency. They can't tell if the evangelists are lying to them. They can't form their own opinion but merely accept what is told to them. If that was the case why can't progressive Americans do the same and sway them the other way?

You tend to forget that most of Africa is still very conservative in nature even prior to colonialization. They value their traditions and way of life. The same values they hold after converting to Christianity and Islam.

It's not "traditional" in this case, it's a relative new attitudes brought by missionaries. Prior to European colonization, fewer Africans had taboos against homosexuality. So yeah, Europeans are largely responsible for inculcating fundamentalist religion into parts of Africa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟270,830.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I don't agree with the laws passed, in fact I think it unjust. But to simplify it to evangelist pulling the strings is disingenuous at best. It is low key looking down on Ugandans' ability to think for themselves. From what I read the bill has the backing of the majority of parliament. A parliament voted by the people of Uganda.

I'm not solely blaming American hate groups for this. I'm pushing back against the narrative that this legislation is somehow the fault of progressive policies in Europe and America.

People are fearing for their lives, they're being hunted, tortured and killed. You cannot lay this at the feet of progressivism when it's the bible that is used as a tool to bludgeon people to death.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,228.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It's not "traditional" in this case, it's a relative new attitudes brought by missionaries. Prior to European colonization, fewer Africans had taboos against homosexuality. So yeah, Europeans are largely responsible for inculcating fundamentalist religion into parts of Africa.

Really? Only European missionaries? You're merely selectively telling the truth to highlight your points. Islam another religion that has unfavorable views on homosexuality spread to Africa during the 7th century. Most prominent in north to central Africa. And early Christianity spread to Africa around 1st and 2nd centuries. European colonialism (along with the modern perception of missionaries in Africa) starts around 15th century. Mind doing the math for me?

Also you say that the attitudes are formed by import is also not 100% true. With exceptions of north Africa very little records (not none) of daily life in the region survived. So whatever little description of homosexuality acceptance in Africa prior to colonialism are limited and somewhat anecdotal. No true historian will dare say for certain that the information they read is a general widespread representation of the whole. I have not read any report saying that homosexuality (while they exist - don't get my words twisted) acceptance are universal or in the majority by the region. Many records merely mention the existence not the general public attitude towards it. There are records of several places in Africa that embrace homosexuality with openness like ancient Egypt, that is not indicative of the whole. Africa is a massive continent with many different cultures and ethnicities. Two neighbouring tribes don't even hold the same values much more the entire region.

Even if I concede that yes European missionaries are largely responsible in importing the idea of homosexual sins, why are they accepted so openly and spread to such large portion of the continent? Perhaps the change of attitude align with their views on what morality truly is to them. Is it universal? No of course not just like everything else in this world nothing is 100%. But to have a vast majority embrace the value indicates something. If Europeans and American can shift their attitudes to a certain direction why can't the Africans? Must they always follow the sway of others?

Now let's get back to modern times where this bill has passed. If homosexuality sin is an imported attitude, why didn't the Ugandans throw it away after independence? Why keep laws of their colonial master around? Maybe because they like and agree with the idea (not saying it is right or wrong). Present day Ugandans at least at the policy makers level, believe in their actions as right for their nation. If you read the news article in full (which I did), you will notice the following being said.

"Our creator God is happy (about) what is happening ... I support the bill to protect the future of our children," lawmaker David Bahati said during debate on the bill.

"This is about the sovereignty of our nation, nobody should blackmail us, nobody should intimidate us."

Do you notice the part they mention national sovereignty and resistance to duress? And who do you think will be the most likely to blackmail them - Western countries. What does that say to us? It is a decision made by them for themselves and outside pressure are unwelcome. Even if the idea was planted by said evangelists, the Ugandans openly embraced them as their own if the bill is of any indication.

Stop infantilizing the Africans as people only corrupted by westerners. That they can't make decisions on their own without the implicit or explicit influence of westerners. Africans are just like you and me, capable of great good and horrid bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? Only European missionaries? You're merely selectively telling the truth to highlight your points. Islam another religion that has unfavorable views on homosexuality spread to Africa during the 7th century. Most prominent in north to central Africa. And early Christianity spread to Africa around 1st and 2nd centuries. European colonialism (along with the modern perception of missionaries in Africa) starts around 15th century. Mind doing the math for me?

Also you say that the attitudes are formed by import is also not 100% true. With exceptions of north Africa very little records (not none) of daily life in the region survived. So whatever little description of homosexuality acceptance in Africa prior to colonialism are limited and somewhat anecdotal. No true historian will dare say for certain that the information they read is a general widespread representation of the whole. I have not read any report saying that homosexuality (while they exist - don't get my words twisted) acceptance are universal or in the majority by the region. Many records merely mention the existence not the general public attitude towards it. There are records of several places in Africa that embrace homosexuality with openness like ancient Egypt, that is not indicative of the whole. Africa is a massive continent with many different cultures and ethnicities. Two neighbouring tribes don't even hold the same values much more the entire region.

Even if I concede that yes European missionaries are largely responsible in importing the idea of homosexual sins, why are they accepted so openly and spread to such large portion of the continent? Perhaps the change of attitude align with their views on what morality truly is to them. Is it universal? No of course not just like everything else in this world nothing is 100%. But to have a vast majority embrace the value indicates something. If Europeans and American can shift their attitudes to a certain direction why can the Africans? Must they always follow the sway of others?

Now let's get back to modern times where this bill has passed. If homosexuality is an imported attitude, why didn't the Ugandans throw it away after independence? Why keep laws of their colonial master around? Maybe because they like and agree with the idea (not saying it is right or wrong). Present day Ugandans at least at the policy makers level, believe in their actions as right for their nation. If you read the news article in full (which I did), you will notice the following being said.

Do you notice the part they mention national sovereignty and resistance to duress? And who do you think will be the most likely to blackmail them - Western countries. What does that say to us? It is a decision made by them for themselves and outside pressure are unwelcome. Even if the idea was planted by said evangelists, the Ugandans openly embraced them as their own if the bill is of any indication.

Stop infantilizing the Africans as people only corrupted by westerners. That they can't make decisions on their own without the implicit or explicit influence of westerners. Africans are just like you and me, capable of great good and horrid bad.

I'm not infantilizing anybody. However, American Evangelicals are responsible for exporting fundamentalist religion to Africa and influencing African politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,228.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm not infantilizing anybody. However, American Evangelicals are responsible for exporting fundamentalist religion to Africa and influencing African politics.

I'm not sure which part of 1st/2nd centuries spread of Christianity & 7th century spread of Islam to the region that led you to believe that only modern evangelists shaped their values. And that this value is only recent.

Influence only happens if one is receptive to it. Like you can 't influence my country to adopt LGBT friendly policies. We on the more moderate side has tried on multiple occasions and met with nothing but hostility. Yet it is so easy for my country to adopt more stringent interpretation of Islamic values from the middle east. Many Muslims here even try to emulate the dress code of middle easterners although not mention as a requirement in the Quran. Care to guess? Is it the influence of Muslim hardliners in middle east or more likely Muslims policy makers here have already the same inline of thought and finding a reason to implement them?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
According to whom?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Here's an example of the Maasai tribe courtesy of Matt Walsh...

A lot of people believe a lot of bogus claims of various Gender Studies and Anthropology majors but the reality is that most societies/cultures, tribal or otherwise, reject any sort of homosexuality or transsexual or polygamous behavior. There are exceptions of course, but they are the exception, not the norm.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Let me ask you something...and be honest...

Here's an ethnic map of Africa.

africa-ethnicity.png

Do you have any idea how many of these various groups practice or allowed homosexuality and do you think that the fact your first article has to reach back to ancient Egypt is a good indicator of how few really did?

Upvote 0