Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don’t know if you’ve heard this news yet but NASA is going to be doing an investigation to determine what all these UFOs actually are. Somebody interviewed on tv (I didn’t catch his name or position but I think he might’ve been from NASA), a man in some type of authority, replied “I don’t know” when asked if there could be extraterrestrials.
What if there are? Does that conflict or contradict any teaching of the LCMS? I don’t see anything in the Bible that would contradict ETs but I have read from people who insist this contradicts Christianity.

I am unaware of anything about the existence of actual ETs that would contradict anything in the Confessions. It could be a pretty profound evidence of evolution (of evolution happening somewhere else in this case) which could bother certain Lutheran synods; but I would hope that our--all Lutherans regardless of synod--faith in the Gospel would not be injured.

Regardless of anything, the word of the Lord endures forever. Christ is Risen.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Here's the thing with Christian theology. Jesus undid Adam's sin. He was the second Adam. Other planets wouldn't have Adam, so Jesus wouldn't need to atone for what didn't happen on those worlds.

Possibly, it's also possible that in Adam's disobedience the effects radiated to all creation. St. Paul says in Romans 8 that all creation labors. We can see this well beyond the earth or even our own solar system as we behold the work of entropy. The promise we see in Scripture is new heavens and new earth, not just a new earth.

If the work of Jesus is truly for all creation, then even though the Salvation of the universe occurred on a hill outside of Jerusalem in a small corner of civilization on a great big earth can't it also be for whatever else is out there? Perhaps in ways we can't conceive, but it shouldn't be too difficult to recognize that if there are rational creatures out there in the great big universe then Jesus matters for them too.

I am concretely of the opinion that God the Word became a human being, and this is more than just becoming a member of our species--but is God becoming part of His created universe. So somehow, in some way, likely in ways we could never consider or conceive and we shouldn't even speculate, Jesus is always the center of history and the universe. All things made by Him and for Him. In Him God's faithfulness to all creation is manifest.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly, it's also possible that in Adam's disobedience the effects radiated to all creation. St. Paul says in Romans 8 that all creation labors. We can see this well beyond the earth or even our own solar system as we behold the work of entropy. The promise we see in Scripture is new heavens and new earth, not just a new earth.

If the work of Jesus is truly for all creation, then even though the Salvation of the universe occurred on a hill outside of Jerusalem in a small corner of civilization on a great big earth can't it also be for whatever else is out there? Perhaps in ways we can't conceive, but it shouldn't be too difficult to recognize that if there are rational creatures out there in the great big universe then Jesus matters for them too.

I am concretely of the opinion that God the Word became a human being, and this is more than just becoming a member of our species--but is God becoming part of His created universe. So somehow, in some way, likely in ways we could never consider or conceive and we shouldn't even speculate, Jesus is always the center of history and the universe. All things made by Him and for Him. In Him God's faithfulness to all creation is manifest.

Sounds good to me. The old argument is Jesus would have to go though the crucifixion on every planet. But from the view you presented, that's like saying Jesus would had to have been crucified on every continent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sounds good to me. The old argument is Jesus would have to go though the crucifixion on every planet. But from the view you presented, that's like saying Jesus would had to have been crucified on every continent.

Exactly. Christ died for all men, not just His fellow Jews; it isn't too far fetched in my mind to understand that anything beyond this is simply a matter of degree. I firmly believe that as we continue to learn more about the vastness and magnitude of the universe this should only push us further to recognize the greater magnitude of the Gospel, of Christ who "fills all in all" (Ephesians 1:23).

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

-CryptoLutheran
This was essentially the point of view of C.S. Lewis aliens in the Space Trilogy. (Of course we now know that life as we know it is not very likely on either Mars or Venus.)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This was essentially the point of view of C.S. Lewis aliens in the Space Trilogy. (Of course we now know that life as we know it is not very likely on either Mars or Venus.)

Actually, CS Lewis in a work of criticism discussing science fiction mentioned that he was entirely aware the canals of Mars had been debunked as an optical illusion, he featured them for purely narrative reasons in Out of the Silent Planet.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0