U.S. trade deficit falls 7.6% in October to 16-month low on decline in Chinese imports

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
U.S. trade deficit falls 7.6% in October to 16-month low on decline in Chinese imports

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-trade-deficit-falls-76-in-october-to-16-month-low-on-decline-in-chinese-imports-2019-12-05?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo&fbclid=IwAR1ZYki2UadNm48_1oDd06KMU2U_6hGtDdwahAI6685s_LzFO_L11WiVyBY

The deficit slid to $47.2 billion from a revised $51.1 billion in the prior month, the government said Thursday. If it persists through December, the smaller gap could give a boost to gross domestic product in the fourth quarter.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If my math is right, Trump was in office 16 months ago, so the numbers have merely reverted to where they were earlier in his term, which is still higher than it was when he took office.

Also, from the article:
Although tariffs have caused a record trade deficit with China to tumble in 2019, the gap has grown with other countries and left the U.S. in no better position.

whomp whomp

• Haha
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If my math is right, Trump was in office 16 months ago, so the numbers have merely reverted to where they were earlier in his term, which is still higher than it was when he took office.

Also, from the article:

whomp whomp

That's businesses on all sides finding ways around the tariffs. Many American companies stocked up on Chinese goods in advance of the tariffs. When those inventories are gone the effect will be more apparent.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's businesses on all sides finding ways around the tariffs. Many American companies stocked up on Chinese goods in advance of the tariffs. When those inventories are gone the effect will be more apparent.

That means our trade deficit with China would go back up.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-trade-deficit-falls-76-in-october-to-16-month-low-on-decline-in-chinese-imports-2019-12-05?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo&fbclid=IwAR1ZYki2UadNm48_1oDd06KMU2U_6hGtDdwahAI6685s_LzFO_L11WiVyBY

The deficit slid to $47.2 billion from a revised $51.1 billion in the prior month, the government said Thursday. If it persists through December, the smaller gap could give a boost to gross domestic product in the fourth quarter.

Hi HL,

Trade deficit numbers, like unemployment numbers, are regularly changing month to month. To determine whether or not this is a trend will require a bit longer and regular decline. We did get a strong jobs report today, and most of the increase was in manufacturing. We'll have to see if the trends continue.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Elisha's Bear

Nov 24, 2019
NorthEast
✟10,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi HL,

Trade deficit numbers, like unemployment numbers, are regularly changing month to month. To determine whether or not this is a trend will require a bit longer and regular decline. We did get a strong jobs report today, and most of the increase was in manufacturing. We'll have to see if the trends continue.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
Inflation in my neck of the woods has been pretty stagnant for quite some time. Gasoline prices have come down. If only he could do something about all the violence.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Inflation in my neck of the woods has been pretty stagnant for quite some time. Gasoline prices have come down. If only he could do something about all the violence.

Hi EB,

Well, I don't know where you live. Here where I am, the upstate of South Carolina, there has been some inflation. I notice it the most at the grocery store. However, I've seen other goods creeping up a few cents or a dollar here and there. While certainly manageable, I don't think I'd call it 'stagnant'. In 2018 the inflation rate was 2.4% and so far this year its been about 1.75%. That means that over the last 2 years, the average price on goods has increased about 4%. That's 4¢ per dollar. As I say, not overly alarming, but there all the same.

Right now the SSA is preparing to make a 1.6% adjustment in SS payments. That increase is based on the inflation rate. Our gasoline prices have been reasonably steady, although of late, they have gone up about 10¢ over the last 6 months. Gasoline, however, is not a stable inflation predictor because it is based on a different fixed value, which is the price of a barrel of crude oil.

I'm honestly not holding out that any politician will make any great strides in reducing the violence that comes from hate and anxiety in the world.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elisha's Bear

Nov 24, 2019
NorthEast
✟10,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi EB,

Well, I don't know where you live. Here where I am, the upstate of South Carolina, there has been some inflation. I notice it the most at the grocery store. However, I've seen other goods creeping up a few cents or a dollar here and there. While certainly manageable, I don't think I'd call it 'stagnant'. In 2018 the inflation rate was 2.4% and so far this year its been about 1.75%. That means that over the last 2 years, the average price on goods has increased about 4%. That's 4¢ per dollar. As I say, not overly alarming, but there all the same.

Right now the SSA is preparing to make a 1.6% adjustment in SS payments. That increase is based on the inflation rate. Our gasoline prices have been reasonably steady, although of late, they have gone up about 10¢ over the last 6 months. Gasoline, however, is not a stable inflation predictor because it is based on a different fixed value, which is the price of a barrel of crude oil.

I'm honestly not holding out that any politician will make any great strides in reducing the violence that comes from hate and anxiety in the world.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
Hi, Ted, Yeah the part about violence was meant to be kinda tongue-in-cheek (begging pardon).

Upvote 0