Southern Region
✟15,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's a silly question. Many or most alcoholics and drug abusers do not want help.
I have seen over the years that substance abusers fail to recognize that they do have a problem, either by ignorance, peer pressure (wanting to belong), or arrogance (that won't happen to me) or by acceptance of it as a way of life being raised around it. Poor parenting is a big problem, in lower income families and upper income families.. Substance/alcohol abuse has ruined many lives. We need to pray for those whom are addicted, that they "see the light" and turn from that way of life.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So then, you believe that people should not be helped?

I believe some people need help, and others refuse the real help they need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I know that and when I so that a lot of people assume those things, I didn't mean everyone. I am not saying you specifically assume that.

Some people are simply victims of misfortune whilst doing all the right things. It happens. Yes there are people that are on the street through their own errors, but there are many that aren't there through their own error.

Alcoholics are often victims of circumstances that caused depression. When offered treatment though, they usually aren't interested, or worse yet, they are defiantly opposed. I don't know the answer to that problem.

There are Christian missions in cities that house and feed the poor but they (wisely) don't house alcoholics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Volunteers arrested for giving food to homeless in California.
Volunteers arrested for giving food to homeless people at an El Cajon park
This is sadly true in many locations in California. When I lived in Orange County, and worked with a church organization that gave out food to the homeless in downtown Santa Ana, we ran afoul of the police department. The government there wanted to basically herd all the homeless into one single location where they would be out of sight of the general public and could be reached "more effectively" by charitable institutions. They believed that if we handed out sandwiches at the local park, it encouraged the homeless to frequent the local park.

Where I live now, we give out food on church property to avoid problems.

It's getting to the point where it is a crime to be poor.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Alcoholics are often victims of circumstances that caused depression. When offered treatment though, they usually aren't interested, or worse yet, they are defiantly opposed. I don't know the answer to that problem.

There are Christian missions in cities that house and feed the poor but they (wisely) don't house alcoholics.
Alcoholics almost always need to be in what is called "Dual Diagnosis" treatment facilities. It means they treat both the addiction AND the mental health issues. The addiction/mental health issues are symbiotic. If you treat one and not the other, the first will eventually reappear.

I'm an Alochol and Drug Counselor with the Salvation Army. Our program is a six month rehab, with a higher success rate than most other places. But unfortunately, we can't take men with serious mental health issues. It's really, REALLY sad. But they need help from professionals with more training than an AOD Counselor like me has.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is sadly true in many locations in California. When I lived in Orange County, and worked with a church organization that gave out food to the homeless in downtown Santa Ana, we ran afoul of the police department. The government there wanted to basically herd all the homeless into one single location where they would be out of sight of the general public and could be reached "more effectively" by charitable institutions. They believed that if we handed out sandwiches at the local park, it encouraged the homeless to frequent the local park.

Where I live now, we give out food on church property to avoid problems.

It's getting to the point where it is a crime to be poor.
It is a crime to be poor, it is called vagrancy.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Alcoholics almost always need to be in what is called "Dual Diagnosis" treatment facilities. It means they treat both the addiction AND the mental health issues. The addiction/mental health issues are symbiotic. If you treat one and not the other, the first will eventually reappear.

I'm an Alochol and Drug Counselor with the Salvation Army. Our program is a six month rehab, with a higher success rate than most other places. But unfortunately, we can't take men with serious mental health issues. It's really, REALLY sad. But they need help from professionals with more training than an AOD Counselor like me has.
You would think that enough tax is gathered from alcohol that they could help alcoholics.

Upvote 0