Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
https://assets.documentcloud.org/do...aft-of-the-Climate-Science-Special-Report.pdf
Here’s how climate change is already affecting the US

A report has been drafted by scientists in 13 federal agencies such as NASA and NOAA as part of the National Climate Assessment, which is mandated by Congress every four years. It is a meta-study, meaning it is the conglomeration of thousands of different scientific studies on climate change. The report states, among other things, the CURRENT effects of climate change on the US. Here is a rundown of the major points, quoted from the second site.

• It’s getting hotter. Average annual temperatures in the US have increased by 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit between 1901 and 2016.
  • Cities are bearing the brunt. Urban areas are experiencing an increase in daytime temperatures of up to 7 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as an increase in nighttime temperatures of up to 4.5 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s especially true for humid regions in the Eastern United States.
  • There is more extreme heat. Cold waves have become less frequent since the early 1900s, while heat waves have become more frequent since the 1960s. Heat waves can destroy crops, cause power outages, and they are dangerous for your health.
  • It’s getting rainier. Average annual rainfall has increased by about 4 percent since 1901 in the US. While the Northern and Southern Plains, the Midwest, and the Northeast are getting wetter, much of the West, Southwest, and Southeast are getting drier.
  • There’s more extreme rain. Heavy rainfall events have become more frequent and more intense since 1901 in most parts of the US, and that’s particularly true for the Northeastern US. Heavy rain can cause deadly flash floods, and carry more nutrient runoff to our lakes and oceans, affecting water quality and shutting down fisheries.
  • Tornadoes have become more variable. Particularly over the 2000s, there’s been a decrease in the number of days with tornadoes, but an increase in the number of tornadoes on those days.
  • The trees are burning. Large forest fires have become more common in the Western US and Alaska since the early 1980s.
  • Sea levels are rising. Average sea levels around the world have risen by about seven to eight inches since the beginning of the 20th century, with about three of those inches occurring since 1993. That has caused the number of tidal floods in several US coastal cities to increase five to tenfold since the 1960s.
  • Alaska is hit hard. Temperatures in Alaska (and the Arctic) have risen twice as fast as the global average in the past 50 years; permafrost is thawing; and glaciers have lost ice. Each year since 1984 has seen a lower average mass of ice in Alaska’s glaciers than the previous years.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sea levels are rising. Average sea levels around the world have risen by about seven to eight inches since the beginning of the 20th century, with about three of those inches occurring since 1993. That has caused the number of tidal floods in several US coastal cities to increase five to tenfold since the 1960s.
I see this at my work every day. I work for NOAA in Marine Charting.

Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I see this at my work every day. I work for NOAA in Marine Charting.
Wow. Thank you for the first hand confirmation. I can vouch for the increase in fires and heat spells in the American west.

Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for sharing this open heart its very interesting to read

I am guessing that the urban fallout to this is increased violence too

Many officers I've talked to say that the increased heat brings out more aggravation in others

There are more fights and shootings and just plain irritation that goes up in the heat of summer time as reported on the local newscasts in the summertime

I've spent my life in and around big metro areas, and can attest to this phenomenon by seeing it and experiencing it around me personally

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for sharing this open heart its very interesting to read

I am guessing that the urban fallout to this is increased violence too

Many officers I've talked to say that the increased heat brings out more aggravation in others
There are more fights and shootings and just plain irritation that goes up in the heat of su
mmer time as reported on the local newscasts in the summertime

I've spent my life in and around big metro areas, and can attest to this phenomenon by seeing it and experiencing it around me personally
Actually, right now violence is significantly down. I've read that this is simply due to there being fewer males between 15 and 30. IOW the baby boomer generation has simply aged out of the aggressive years, and millennials just are all that many. At this time, this particular factor is more important than the weather.

However, as it gets hotter and hotter, I've read that global warning will become a significant factor in the level of violence, with riots going on over water and food, etc. The French President appealed to Trump over this specific issue.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
We cannot effectively desalinate water in a manner that the average person can afford.

Sure we could. Israel does it. We just don't have the
will to try where it is needed most: California. All
they need is energy, and they refuse to build new
plants, as as there is no perfectly clean power plant.
So they run on antique power plants which are even
dirtier than new ones.

Better yet, put solar energy panels and solar water
heaters on all homes to reduce consumption at the
power plants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
56800688_2327133000907372_8966851829451194368_n.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Absolutely completely insanely untrue. I would call it a lie except that I realize that there are uninformed people who sincerely believe this to be true.
The 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens vented approximately 10 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere in only 9 hours. We can measure the degassing of Mt. Etna extremely well, and find that it adds about 16,000 tons of CO2 to the atmosphere each day, or 5.8 million tons per year.
A tremendous synthesis of information took place in 2013, revealing our best value yet for the total amount of CO2 emitted from natural release events within Earth. They found:

• 33 measured degassing volcanoes emit a total of 60 million tons of CO2 per year.
  • There are a total of ~150 known degassing volcanoes, implying (based on the measured ones) that a total of 271 million tons of CO2 are released annually.
  • 30 historically active volcanoes are measured to emit a total of 6.4 million tons of CO2 per year.
  • With ~550 historically active volcanoes total, they extrapolate this class of object contributes 117 million tons per year.
  • The global total from volcanic lakes is 94 million tons of CO2 per year.
    • Additional emissions from tectonic, hydrothermal and inactive volcanic areas contribute an estimated 66 million tons of CO2 per year, although the total number of emitting, tectonic areas are unknown.
    • And finally, emissions from mid-ocean ridges are estimated to be 97 million tons of CO2 annually.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
. When you realize that volcanism contributes 645 million tons of CO2 per year – and it becomes clearer if you write it as 0.645 billion tons of CO2 per year – compared to humanity's 29 billion tons per year, it's overwhelmingly clear what's caused the carbon dioxide increase in Earth's atmosphere since 1750.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
. When you realize that volcanism contributes 645 million tons of CO2 per year – and it becomes clearer if you write it as 0.645 billion tons of CO2 per year – compared to humanity's 29 billion tons per year, it's overwhelmingly clear what's caused the carbon dioxide increase in Earth's atmosphere since 1750.

And here is a study that directly contradicts that:

quote]Human activities emit 60 or more times the amount of carbon dioxide released by volcanoes each year. Large, violent eruptions may match the rate of human emissions for the few hours that they last, but they are too rare and fleeting to rival humanity’s annual emissions. In fact, several individual U.S. states emit more carbon dioxide in a year than all the volcanoes on the planet combined do.[/quote]

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/which-emits-more-carbon-dioxide-volcanoes-or-human-activities

Upvote 0