Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah. I don't think so. Every country around the world had situations similar to that in some way and yes, there were some issues but there was no "PR nightmare". As I recall reading shipments of medical radiative materials were affected but I can say Canada (a major exporter) didn't get that much guff. I mean come on. This CERTAINLY should be expected.
That said, I'm curious whta goods you'd put in that catagory? I'm sure not Chryslers....(blech).

While Canada may be a close competitor in terms of some exports, that's certainly not true of all exports.

1) I agree to an extent. I think travel bans, when there are epidemics happenning, should be implemented FAR sooner until a better understanding of the disease has occurred. 2) My problem with Trump's travel ban to china is that it WASN'T a travel ban....like, at all. Something like 90,000 people STILL came from China in the weeks after that announcement. Tehy just weren't Chinese nationals.
3)Honestly, I think I've found about 3 or 4 democrats who alluded to "racism" or "xenophobia" around the travel ban specifically. Listen, instituting an ACTUAL travel ban would NOT have been either of those things.
But that is not what was instituted.
IT was a ban on Chinese nationals. NOT a ban on travel to OR from China for anyone else. Regardless, his naming of the disease the "China virus" ABSOLUTELY is xenophobic, in my opinion anyways.

I certainly can understand why the tone he used could be construed as xenophobic, however, naming a virus after the region it came from isn't exactly a new thing...and I can especially see why he might have said that as a defensive approach when people started blaming him for it instead of the country that originally dropped the ball.

West Nile
Zika Virus
Ebola
MERS
Rocky Mountain Fever

The Bill Maher Video called "New Rule: Virus Shaming" sums it up nicely (can't link it directly due to language)

. I would agree with this. Here is MORE my thinking:
1) If people are at protests, generally staying distant and wearing masks outside, that is alright.
2) If you are protesting near other people with no mask, then YES, that is bad.
I wasn't paying super close attention but it did seem to me that many BLM protesters wore masks (not all). I can say that in my hometown way up here in Canada, we had a BLM protest that had a few thousand people. EVERYONE was spaced....probably about 98% of people had masks (most of those who didn't were carrying cameras and seemed to look like they were proud boys or something.....no proof though).
Lockdown protests that minimized the risk and didn't take proper safety precautions (and why SHOULD they if they think the disease is a conspiracy anyways) ABSOLUTELY should castigated as unsafe.

It's not the content of the gathering; it's the behaviour of the people AT the gathering that should be the deciding feature.

...but how that correlates to the above types of travel restrictions, if outdoor, mostly distanced interactions aren't a major vector of transmission, then we should've never seen this:

surfer-arrested-covid-19-1024x714.jpg

surfer_list.jpg

People surfing in the ocean (not near anyone else) shouldn't have ever been prohibited...especially not if this isn't being demonized:
upload_2020-11-4_19-40-8.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200601103542-02-floyd-intl-protest-0531-auckland.jpg

In fact, the police actually arresting the surfers is doubling their amount of exposure to people than if they'd have just left them alone.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,550.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
While Canada may be a close competitor in terms of some exports, that's certainly not true of all exports.
I was more critical of the idea that the us would suffer any kind of pr nightmare given the context of..you k wo, everything

I certainly can understand why the tone he used could be construed as xenophobic, however, naming a virus after the region it came from isn't exactly a new thing...and I can especially see why he might have said that as a defensive approach when people started blaming him for it instead of the country that originally dropped the ball.
totally. I get that. In fact if Trump didn't have a robust history of racism it'd barely make a blip on my radar. Sadly he is very much a xenophobe so I have no problem labelling that as such.
But I do agree and accept that. It's named after where they are from... As your list of examples shows

That's why Trump called it the Wuhan virus right? Because it's named after the region right? Oh no. He went with the country.

...but how that correlates to the above types of travel restrictions, if outdoor, mostly distanced interactions aren't a major vector of transmission, then we should've never seen this:

People surfing in the ocean (not near anyone else) shouldn't have ever been prohibited...especially not if this isn't being demonized:[/QUOTE]fair enough. Can't speak to the context or really anything about the pictures. So not sure what to say but on the surface it looks very inconsistent. If argue that dealing with a single surfer may be easier than thousands of folks.
Also I'd that dude is in cuffs, I'd say perhaps there were bigger issues than just covid. Lastly..where are these stories; the only thing story ideas is about a surfer in Spain. Soooo. Lil help?
View attachment 287956

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200601103542-02-floyd-intl-protest-0531-auckland.jpg

.[/QUOTE]already noted that I'm sure many weren't. I can find tonnes of pics showing the opposite. Obviously I thi k they should be wearing masks.

Upvote 0