U.S. bishops say bloggers play a ‘critical role’ in defending the Church. So Fr. Z...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Since when does the church need the Tin Foil Hat Army to defend herself?

If anything, they make Catholics look like hardline conspiracy nuts.

Nothing wrong with the laity becoming involved if they believe that something is attacking their right to practice their faith without interference. Everyone in the free world has a right and a duty to rally if they believe in a cause.

I don't think it makes them look like hardline conspiracy nuts. If you are not willing to fight for your faith, that's your business, don't call people names just because they are willing to fight for theirs.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I don't think it makes them look like hardline conspiracy nuts. If you are not willing to fight for your faith, that's your business, don't call people names just because they are willing to fight for theirs.

None of these people seem to represent anything I've ever thought and quite a few of them are on the orthodox fringe. There is nothing wrong with that an sich, but when you call yourself a catholic blogger and start blogging about, say, gun rights, you are giving off the wrong impression.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nothing wrong with the laity becoming involved if they believe that something is attacking their right to practice their faith without interference. Everyone in the free world has a right and a duty to rally if they believe in a cause.

Agreed. When my son had orientation at a Catholic college, all the students were told "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." The bloggers are exercising there rights, are "standing for what they believe in", *and* offering a service too by spreading the news. Is shutting down free speech *really* wanted?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that it's great that the bishops have sent out this missive to Catholic bloggers whom, I am sure, occasionally run out of their own ideas and get writer's block.

One of the wonderful things about Catholic bloggers is the great diversity of their articles and opinions.

Not all Catholic bloggers are political. Some write primarily about spirituality.

Here's one about spirituality:

Ron Rolheiser - Speaker, Columnist and Author

Politics isn't Fr Rolheiser's calling, but he has many wonderful spiritual insights which have inspired many on their spiritual journeys.

Writing about religious liberty isnt his calling.

Or here's a blog site written by Maryknoll missionaries whose ministry is sharing the Gospel and bringing hope to the third world.

Be the Mission

They are sharing important information to all of us, and there is no need for them to drop whatever they're doing to pick up the bishops' cause du jour.

That is not to say that they could not put the article in an idea journal (which most writers keep) and use it as a springboard in times of creative dryness.

So hooray for Catholic bloggers in all their wonderful diversity and uniqueness. Let's resist attempts to try to make them write about the same things or to become mouthpieces for any people other than their glorious, created-uniquely-by-God selves.

Upvote 0