• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

U of T profs alarmed by Jordan Peterson's plan to target classes he calls 'indoctrination cults'

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Rion, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Rion

Rion "Trigger Warning" is one of my triggers Supporter

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    U of T profs alarmed by Jordan Peterson's plan to target classes he calls 'indoctrination cults'

"We're going to start with a website in the next month and a half that will be designed to help students and parents identify post-modern content in courses so that they can avoid them," he told CTV's Your Morning in August.

"I'm hoping that over about a five-year period a concerted effort could be made to knock the enrolment down in postmodern neo-Marxist cult classes by 75 per cent across the West. So our plan initially is to cut off the supply to the people that are running the indoctrination cults."

Sounds like he just wants to highlight classes so that people who want to avoid their chicanery can. If that's the case, I'm fine with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Well-Known Member

+607
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    Naturally, women and non-whites are the first to be targeted.

3. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    It's not targeting women and non-whites. It's targeting gender and cultural classes because they fall under the soft sciences, which have been pretty much overran at this point with the critical theory nonsense.

4. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+1,817
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    I say let him do what he likes and let society sort him out.

My understanding is that Toronto is in Canada so he’ll get metaphorically tossed out on his rump and will be hoist by his own petard.

More power to him, the crazy blowhard.

5. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Unfortunately, he's not in the UK where he could be arrested for mean tweets. :asd:

6. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+1,817
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    He’s been mean tweeting?

It just get’s worse. He’s really going to rue this decision.

7. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,248
    Atheist
    US-Others
    MI6 now knows where you sleep.

8. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. ianb321red

ianb321red Well-Known Member

+34
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I guess the unknown is whether, once identified, will prospective students actually want to such courses?

10. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    I, for one, always want to learn about how much of a terrible monster being a cisthet male makes me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+4,091
    Other Religion
    ...ignoring the reason those classes exist is because the more traditional cultural studies classes tend to default to a male european perspective.

12. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    ...ignoring the reason those classes are being listed is that they've morphed from positive, empowering classes on the subject to fountains of Critical X Theory bull squeeze.

13. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+4,091
    Other Religion
    Yes, I'm sure this professor's assessment is going to be completely unbiased and uncolored by his own ideology.

14. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    All he's doing is highlighting certain courses. If nothing is being taught like he says, he'll look like a fringe character and get dismissed.

15. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+4,129
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    "Sociology, that's corrupt. Anthropology, that's corrupt. English literature, that's corrupt. Maybe the worse offenders are the faculties of education."

Whatta maroon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    @keith99 said it better than I did.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  17. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+3,686
    Atheist
    Single
    I had the same initial reaction. But then I listened to about half of an interview with him. I'm betting that quote is from something he said and I'm inclined to think he is being misquoted. Punctuation makes a difference.

Sociology that is corrupt can be parsed out two ways. The way his enemies want it parsed, that he is saying all sociology is corrupt or it can be parsed out to mean that he is targeting those sociology classes that are corrupt.

It appears his detractors have no qualms about misquoting what he says. He has pointed out a few examples and I would expect that if he actually did say what is claimed there would be attached examples by now.

18. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+3,146
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    To be fair, the people who have never taken one of those classes yet know EXACTLY what those classes are like and what they teach, already know what is going on in those classes.

19. Rion

+3,711
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    You said it better than I did. :cheer:

20. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+2,304
    Atheist
    Married
    In the article he says English Lit is corrupt. So classes on Shakespeare, Milton, Dryden, Keats, Dickens, and T.S. Eliot are post-modern, neo-Marxist indoctrination cults?