U of T profs alarmed by Jordan Peterson's plan to target classes he calls 'indoctrination cults'

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
U of T profs alarmed by Jordan Peterson's plan to target classes he calls 'indoctrination cults'

"We're going to start with a website in the next month and a half that will be designed to help students and parents identify post-modern content in courses so that they can avoid them," he told CTV's Your Morning in August.

"I'm hoping that over about a five-year period a concerted effort could be made to knock the enrolment down in postmodern neo-Marxist cult classes by 75 per cent across the West. So our plan initially is to cut off the supply to the people that are running the indoctrination cults."

Sounds like he just wants to highlight classes so that people who want to avoid their chicanery can. If that's the case, I'm fine with it.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Naturally, women and non-whites are the first to be targeted.

It's not targeting women and non-whites. It's targeting gender and cultural classes because they fall under the soft sciences, which have been pretty much overran at this point with the critical theory nonsense.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,548.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I say let him do what he likes and let society sort him out.

My understanding is that Toronto is in Canada so he’ll get metaphorically tossed out on his [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and will be hoist by his own petard.

More power to him, the crazy blowhard.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I say let him do what he likes and let society sort him out.

My understanding is that Toronto is in Canada so he’ll get metaphorically tossed out on his [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and will be hoist by his own petard.

More power to him, the crazy blowhard.

Unfortunately, he's not in the UK where he could be arrested for mean tweets. :asd:

• Haha
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,548.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Unfortunately, he's not in the UK where he could be arrested for mean tweets. :asd:
He’s been mean tweeting?

It just get’s worse. He’s really going to rue this decision.

Upvote 0

ianb321red

Aug 27, 2011
Surrey
✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"We're going to start with a website in the next month and a half that will be designed to help students and parents identify post-modern content in courses so that they can avoid them," he told CTV's Your Morning in August.

"I'm hoping that over about a five-year period a concerted effort could be made to knock the enrolment down in postmodern neo-Marxist cult classes by 75 per cent across the West. So our plan initially is to cut off the supply to the people that are running the indoctrination cults."

Sounds like he just wants to highlight classes so that people who want to avoid their chicanery can. If that's the case, I'm fine with it.

I guess the unknown is whether, once identified, will prospective students actually want to such courses?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I guess the unknown is whether, once identified, will prospective students actually want to such courses?

I, for one, always want to learn about how much of a terrible monster being a cisthet male makes me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not targeting women and non-whites. It's targeting gender and cultural classes because they fall under the soft sciences, which have been pretty much overran at this point with the critical theory nonsense.

...ignoring the reason those classes exist is because the more traditional cultural studies classes tend to default to a male european perspective.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
...ignoring the reason those classes exist is because the more traditional cultural studies classes tend to default to a male european perspective.

...ignoring the reason those classes are being listed is that they've morphed from positive, empowering classes on the subject to fountains of Critical X Theory bull squeeze.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
...ignoring the reason those classes are being listed is that they've morphed from positive, empowering classes on the subject to fountains of Critical X Theory bull squeeze.

Yes, I'm sure this professor's assessment is going to be completely unbiased and uncolored by his own ideology.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I'm sure this professor's assessment is going to be completely unbiased and uncolored by his own ideology.

All he's doing is highlighting certain courses. If nothing is being taught like he says, he'll look like a fringe character and get dismissed.

• Agree
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Sociology, that's corrupt. Anthropology, that's corrupt. English literature, that's corrupt. Maybe the worse offenders are the faculties of education."

Whatta maroon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,590.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"Sociology, that's corrupt. Anthropology, that's corrupt. English literature, that's corrupt. Maybe the worse offenders are the faculties of education."

Whatta maroon.

I had the same initial reaction. But then I listened to about half of an interview with him. I'm betting that quote is from something he said and I'm inclined to think he is being misquoted. Punctuation makes a difference.

Sociology that is corrupt can be parsed out two ways. The way his enemies want it parsed, that he is saying all sociology is corrupt or it can be parsed out to mean that he is targeting those sociology classes that are corrupt.

It appears his detractors have no qualms about misquoting what he says. He has pointed out a few examples and I would expect that if he actually did say what is claimed there would be attached examples by now.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
To be fair, the people who have never taken one of those classes yet know EXACTLY what those classes are like and what they teach, already know what is going on in those classes.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I had the same initial reaction. But then I listened to about half of an interview with him. I'm betting that quote is from something he said and I'm inclined to think he is being misquoted. Punctuation makes a difference.

Sociology that is corrupt can be parsed out two ways. The way his enemies want it parsed, that he is saying all sociology is corrupt or it can be parsed out to mean that he is targeting those sociology classes that are corrupt.

It appears his detractors have no qualms about misquoting what he says. He has pointed out a few examples and I would expect that if he actually did say what is claimed there would be attached examples by now.

You said it better than I did. :cheer:

Upvote 0