Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Rasa,
As we have seen there is no evidence there are any, and the only ones mentioned the MCC and most majority maintream Christians would not recognise that as a church.

But the government clearly does recognize them as a mainstream church, so they have a justification for this legislation.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Maren,
No. Firstly I recognise the ‘probably unfounded’ remark but the issue was not concerning this change but existing equalities law on discrimination.

Your claim initially is that churches would be forced to perform gay ceremonies because of the equalities law is this change is made -- he states that the equalities law, as well as other existing laws, cannot be used to force churches to provide same sex ceremonies even after this change is made. As such, he is stating the fears you've voiced on this thread are probably unfounded.

You say some religious groups but these are hardly representative of religion in the UK. Perhaps the UK government should be looking to give extra rights for ex-gay ministries.

It doesn't matter if they are representative or not. These religions (whether Christian or not) want to be able to provide same-sex ceremonies -- something that the law will not allow these religions to do. This is nothing to do with extra rights but rather it is allowing religions to decide, per their beliefs, if they want to offer same sex ceremonies.

And as to the free Christian churches, all we have seen mentioned are gay MCC ones. The Unitarian, Quaker and Liberal Judaism are not Christian.

And again it doesn't matter. The law is not only effecting Christian churches.

As to the MCC, their views are outside and contrary to the majority mainstream Christian churches, and many more within the mainstream majority would not consider them Christian organisations or churches. Now that is my position as well.
As many Christians are now saying, they UK Government cannot tell Christians what they believe.

You seem to have this backwards. Right now, the government is telling religions that they are not allowed to hold same-sex ceremonies -- regardless of the beliefs of that religion. It does not matter if you agree with these religions, or even if you think they are Christian or not. The point is the government should not be limiting religion in this fashion.

But the link is a good summary of the situation, all I would say is the concerns of Christians are probably not unfounded, gay lobbies want to force all people to accept sss as normal. It ain’t going to happen.

Except that nowhere have gays required religions to hold same-sex ceremonies -- there has been no effort to even attempt it in any of the Christian (or other) countries that recognize same sex relationships.

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
Rasa,
As we have seen there is no evidence there are any, and the only ones mentioned the MCC and most majority maintream Christians would not recognise that as a church.

I know of two Anglican churches in my area that bless gay couples. So, yes there is evidence.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Maren,
Your claim initially is that churches would be forced to perform gay ceremonies because of the equalities law is this change is made -- he states that the equalities law, as well as other existing laws, cannot be used to force churches to provide same sex ceremonies even after this change is made. As such, he is stating the fears you've voiced on this thread are probably unfounded.
we shall see

It doesn't matter if they are representative or not.
It doesn’t matter if the view is unrepresentative? I thought representation was an underlying principle of a democratic government.

You seem to have this backwards. Right now, the government is telling religions that they are not allowed to hold same-sex ceremonies -- regardless of the beliefs of that religion.
And the point is it is basically against religious views so why are they doing it?

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Supreme,
Yes how sad the Government are so ignorant or prejudiced. [/COLOR][/FONT]

Actually, this move suggests that the government is anything but.

It recognizes the genuine will of certain religious institutions to marry gay couples, and so wants to allow them to do so without being prosecuted- hardly ignorant, don't cha think?

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
The Anglican church has said it will not allow it. So I suggest they find another church to be in. [/COLOR][/FONT]
Clearly the government are out to undermine the Christian Church.

Senior Anglican Bishops are in support of lifting the ban blessings and civil partnerships in churches. So, I suggest they stay right where they are.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

94543-bigthumbnail.jpg

Unfortunately this thread is being closed due to a violation of our Controversial topics rule, and for producing too many reports.

Here is the rule for your review:

Topics Needing Special Consideration and **Promotion: Abortion; Adultery or Premarital Sex; Homosexuality; Illegal Activity; Other Religions; On-Line Deliverance; Professional Counseling; Prophecy
● Abortion may only be discussed in the Ethics & Morality forum, the Christian Philosophy and Ethics forum, and the Congregation and Recovery categories.
● Do not promote or encourage adultery or premarital sex.
● Do not promote homosexuality on Christian Forums. Homosexuality can only be discussed, without promotion, in Christian Communities and Faith Groups. Homosexuality may also be discussed in the Recovery and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues.
● Do not promote illegal activity.
● Do not promote or proselytize religious beliefs or religions (including Satanism or Occultism) other than Christianity. For the purpose of these rules, Christianity is defined by Christian Forums' Statement of Faith.
● Do not make posts which attempt to exorcise or bind demons, or post instructions on how to complete deliverance.
● Do not give professional legal, financial, medical, or other counseling. Do not direct, imply, or suggest that others should disregard doctors' orders regarding medical diagnosis and/or treatment.
● Personal Prophecy (prophetic utterance) will be considered off-topic to all site forums. These may be posted in your own personal Blog.

**Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.