Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ac 19:9 But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus.

Well when I first read this verse I was not sure where he was and what was being disputed ...

I came upon this

Tyrannus
prince, a Greek rhetorician, in whose "school" at Ephesus Paul disputed daily for the space of two years with those who came to him (Acts 19:9). Some have supposed that he was a Jew, and that his "school" was a private synagogue.

And so the word Tyrannus is actually a name of a prince? Rhetorician is

rhet·o·ri·cian [ret-uh-rish-uhn] Show IPA
noun
an expert in the art of rhetoric.
a person who teaches rhetoric.
a person who writes or speaks in an elaborate or exaggerated style.

rhet·o·ric [ret-er-ik] Show IPA
noun
(in writing or speech) the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast.
the art or science of all specialized literary uses of language in prose or verse, including the figures of speech.
the study of the effective use of language.
the ability to use language effectively.
the art of prose in general as opposed to verse.

So.....this school that belonged to Tyrannus was used for talking about the kingdom of God and writing the things talked about?...so these writings reached many?

:) This is kinda cool to find out....has anyone else looked into this and is there more information on these writings that came from this school?

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tyrannus, hall of, (tī-ranʹuhs), a place mentioned in Acts 19:9, where it is asserted that Paul withdrew from the synagogue in Ephesus and began instruction in ‘the hall [Gk., school] of Tyrannus.’ Codex Bezae (the important ‘Western’ text of Acts) adds that Paul taught from the fifth to the tenth hour (11:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.), a time not usually utilized by teachers of morality of this era for systematic instruction. It is not clear whether the hall of Tyrannus was a recognized center for moral instruction by philosophers or some sort of local trade union or guild center. It is highly unlikely that Paul’s activity in the hall was systematic enough to be called a ‘school’ in any recognizable sense.

Achtemeier, P. J., Harper & Row, & Society of Biblical Literature. (1985). Harper’s Bible dictionary (1st ed.) (1101). San Francisco: Harper & Row.

I found this and it piqued my interest. Now I'm going to have to research it more. lol

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Paul moved from the synagogue to a hall that was available, probably for hire.

Acts 19:8-9
Philosophers often lectured in rented halls; this could have been a guild hall as easily as a "lecture hall" (NIV). (If the former, Tyrannus is simply the owner; if the latter, he is the customary lecturer. Public life in Ephesus, including philosophical lectures, ended by noon; so if Tyrannus lectured in the mornings Paul used it in the afternoons; if no one else lectured there, Paul probably lectured there in the mornings, and did his manual labor afterward.) Either way, residents of Ephesus would view Paul as a philosopher or sophist (professional public speaker). Many early Greco-Roman observers thought that Christians were a religious association or club (like other such associations in antiquity), or a philosophical school that took the form of a such an association.
(from IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament by Craig S. Keener Copyright © 1993 by Craig S. Keener. Published by InterVarsity Press. All rights reserved.)

John
NZ

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found this link that talks of the places that are mentioned in the bible :) I'm enjoying this search on Paul and Ephesus....I've tried to find more on Tyrannus but my search has been unsuccessful. Alot of writings might have been in the scrolls in the library but all those were distroyed in a fire ...

I'm not done reading all that is in the link but got so excited over the history of Ephesus and Paul that I just wanted to come here and post this link :)

Ancient Ephesus and the New Testament

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
interesting!

I know right! :) I don't know how many times in my imagination that I'm almost transported back in time and the ruins I see now are beautiful and intact and its almost like I can see Paul and hear him talking...and the people all around....its like the bible is coming alive :) The last article also talks of a home that Mary might have spent her last days :) something I always wondered about.

Upvote 0