Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
As i've tried to point out in the past, simply stating that Genesis is history is an inadequate way of analysing the book.

I like the example of the continuum:

police/newspaper report--->eyewitness account--->long after the fact historical reminsences--->historical monograph--->history textbook--->popular account of events--->well researched historical novel--->historical novel with history as a major component--->historical novel that uses history

All of these examples read like history. But the real difference is in the purposes of the authors. For example, historical novels USE history to heighten the credibility (we discussed this on the phantom of the opera thread), it is not that history is necessarily important to the author of an historical novel, it is that s/he expects to manipulate the audience better or easier if they think or allow themselves to think of it as history.

Each of these subgenres, if you will, have structure and function imposed upon them by the community that produces them. Newspaper reports are an example of concise factual writing with little to no analysis or commentary. It is not the purpose of a police report to understand the underlying psychological trends in the victims nor the perpatrators. The major controlling issues are purpose and the expectations that follow from they.

This is why simply labelling Gen 1-5 as historical narrative is incomplete and misleading. All writing is in order to accomplish something, all writing has a purpose, and in history as in any other field the purposes of the writing shape and manipulate the components. You have to ask, what is the purpose of Gen 1, or Gen 2-5. What is the author trying to communicate, then how or what genre is the author using to communicate.

but like i was informed in another thread, interpretation is nothing more than looking up words in a dictionary, so i suspect that this too is not part of the YECist hermeneutical vocabulary, careful genre analysis. So i guess it is written to those who think Scripture deserves our best effort towards understanding what God has written there.

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Very well said, rmwilliamsll. I have a few things to add:

Regarding Genesis 1
YECists keep insisting that if you read it a face value, Genesis 1 is an "ordinary historical narrative". I respectfully beg to differ. Where else do you see such structure, repetition and symmetry in an "ordinary historical narrative"? Is there any other historical OT passage to which you can successfully compare Genesis 1?

Perhaps this will help make things clearer:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/jereth/jereth/genesis&origins/Gen1_nature.html

Regarding Genesis 2-3
There are so many unusual happenings in this story, from talking serpents to an autonomously functioning flaming sword. Whenever we read of strange happenings elsewhere in the Bible, the author makes it very clear that something out-of-the-ordinary and miraculous has just happened. Yet the author of Gen 2-3 just tells the story in a sober, straight-faced manner, as if this is just normal, everyday experience.

Doesn't that suggest that we are looking at deliberate mythical writing?

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
I like the example of the continuum:

police/newspaper report--->eyewitness account--->long after the fact historical reminsences--->historical monograph--->history textbook--->popular account of events--->well researched historical novel--->historical novel with history as a major component--->historical novel that uses history

Just to further confuse matters - I have seen (as a practising poet and reader of contemporary poetry) poems in the form of -

police blotters, a catalogue of (spurious) secondhand books, a map of a yacht marina, a race report, a set of footnotes to a poem that has been "erased" etc etc...

All of this is terribly post-modern etc but does tend to confuse the genres somewhat even further...

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
For me an excellent example is the novel Possession by A.S. Byatt which I have already mentioned elsewhere. It is a novel about discovering the real lives of two Victorian poets, with so much material in the novel that people have constructed actual timelines of their lives and works.

I finished it and thought to myself, "I must get the collected writings of Randolph Henry Ash." And then I went online and did a little research and immediately discovered that they weren't actually historical figures.

But that didn't make them any less real.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.