Type of love

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love Jesus

Jesus loves me back!
Dec 3, 2001
Visit site
✟157.00
I remember this from a sermon, and was discussing this with my boyfriend.

There are 3 types of love:

1) Agape love - unconditional love eg. God's love for us

2) Phileo love - friendship love/ conditional love eg. our love for our friends

3) Eros love - romantic love eg. our love for our spouse

Now, my question is, can't I love my boyfriend with all 3 types of love? I love him unconditionally, love him as a friend, and as a boyfriend.

Also, my love for the unsaved. That is agape love. But I love my friends with phileo love. Shouldn't my love for friends be stronger that my love for strangers?

Hi I love Jesus, if you love your boy friend uncoditionally, doesn't this covers everything? A lot of the time, we confuse our feeling with love. Well, feeling is one of the products from love, but feeling IS NOT love. I remember a sermon that talks about love is a choice NOT a feeling. You choose to love rather feel to love.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love Jesus, in learning from sermons in the past, agape love is unconditional and sacrificial as well. It is the act of doing rather than that funny feeling in the "stomach" (actually liver).

We may not even like a person, but we are commanded to love him. So, in practice, we are to love both friend and stranger equally. But, since we know our friends, we naturally feel closer to them. This is probably why you're wondering whether you should love your friends more than strangers.

Upvote 0
There are 4 types of love

1. agape/agapao
2. eros
3. phileo or philos
and
4. storge

Agape is "an undefeatable benevolence and unconquerable goodwill that always seeks the highest good of the other person, no matter what he does"(Spirit-Filled Life Bible, NKJV)

Therefore, agape is a self-giving love that expects absolutely nothing in return, and it does not consider the worth of its object. Agape is love by choice.

Philos or Phileo is "brotherly love". This is the love we have for the people we surround ourselves with. Phileo is more a love of chance or emotion. We like the people we love in this manner. It is a selfish love, a kind of "If I get somethin' out of it I'll love ya'" kind of thing.

Eros is "romantic love", the kind of love we have for our spouses. (intimate love)

Storge Love is an instinctual love. Storge begins to "love" for the sake of loving. It is not as conditional as Philos love. But, Storge is self seeking to a degree. There are rewards involved in expressing and giving Storge Love. This could be exampled in the love between parents and children. (see http://members.tripod.com/~ALM4Ever/storge.html) for a further explanation of storge.

Love with your boyfriend may be a combination of loves, and yes, I believe you can love him with all four types of love. Agape love that we have is through Christ loving others through us in the Holy Spirit (umm, did that make sense? lol) Anyway, agape is Christ's unconditional love for others through us. We are incapable of this kind of love as humans, but only through Christ can we love others in this manner.
Phileo is the brotherly love, but it is selfish, I understand this love as the beginning love (of a friend or acquaintance) and storge and the next "step" As I said before, eros is a romantic, physical love.

I hope I helped some, cause I confused myself trying to explain it LOL. God's blessing in finding your answer.

~N~

Upvote 0
Well the Holy Bibles states to not forget your (First Love) which is Lord Jesus the Christ, so how can you love your boyfriend and Lord Jesus with the same love, here I'll give you an example of what I am talking about: If you would have to lose one of them who would it be ? The one you pick to not lose is the one who you Love the Most.

The Holy Bibles teaches to no love the world and it's things, if you love your boyfriend the same way as you love Lord Jesus, then ask yourself do you really love Lord Jesus ?

I know some will disagree with me saying because they don't yet understand the meaning of love.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.