• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Type III Diabetes

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My wife was telling me that there is some new studies that show that there are people who may have what is potentially going to be called Type III diabetes. They are ones who take over 100 u of insulin a day. Not only are they insulin dependent, but their body resists insulin, similar to a type II. Will it make any difference?

No idea.

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Type 3 is a somewhat informal classification, there's no official support for it and to different people it has different meanings. For example, some people define it as simply gestational diabetes, while others (as you mention) say it's insulin-resistant Type 1 (or even insulin-deficient Type 2).

But yes, it matters very much when someone with Type 1 is resistant to insulin, or when someone with Type 2 begins to falter in their pancreatic production. In both conditions, it is a bad sign. In Type 2 diabetics, the treatment is injected insulin, as you probably know. The evidence suggests that having people on insulin early, even when they are not insulin deficient, helps improve prognosis and slows down the destruction of the pancreas.

In Type 1 diabetics, it can obviously be a big problem, since the insulin is the only thing keeping them alive. There are things to do, however, such as diet control, exercise, intensive insulin therapy, and metformin, that will help control and resistance. The evidence is rather sparse, especially for intensive insulin, and metformin doesn't help all that much. But there are still things that can be done.

Something I didn't know until recently, by the way, is that in people with Type 1 to be insulin resistant when they are diagnosed (because it commonly either comes in puberty or when they're sick from another disease, both of which cause insulin resistance), and the initial improvement in symptoms with 'treatment' is largely due to loss of insulin resistance after adolescence or when the disease ends.

Hope this helped.

Upvote 0

HaigCraylett

L.O.V.E
Jul 4, 2012
Norfolk
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
God bless anyone who has Diabetes. It can be a struggle. My wife is insulin dependant and has had to try different types of insulin until she found what worked for her as everyone's body (response) is different. When she was pregnant with our Jack she had to change insulin again. Diabetes is a serious problem and the important thing is to be as supportive as possible.

God bless x

Upvote 0

rowantree

Apr 13, 2012
UK
✟8,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is really interesting. Have read all the links in the article, and my husband is currently showing all of the signs mentioned, including strange blood sugar level results, which his doctor cannot understand. He is having tests because of this - with some concern that his blood sugar test results signify that he had Type 2 diabetes. However, the result was abnormally high and happened very suddenly indeed, leading his doctor to question things.

My husband is taking statins, and he also has a problem with forgetfulness and memory loss.

Thankyou for pointing us to this Article as it highlights some of the possible issues and now my husband will discuss all of this with his doctor, who is making him have many tests and she too is confused. I think this Article may well help us. Thankyou so much.

Upvote 0