• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Type 1 Diabetes and snacks

May 11, 2014
✟7,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone. I hope you are well.

I found out I had diabetes (type 1) two weeks ago. I'm 17.
It was quite a shock for me and my family, but thankfully the Lord has blessed me with a very compassionate mother who does her best to help.

Now I don't know what to eat and drink? It's all a little confusing.

I used to get something for the coffee everyday but I realize that I can't have, for instance a little cake for my coffee. So I've tried some walnuts and almonds, I guess that does not effect my blood sugar?

Do you guys have any idea or advice about snacks or just anything diabetes related in general then please write, I need to know more and perhaps hear some stories?

Thanks man!

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. I hope you are well.

I found out I had diabetes (type 1) two weeks ago. I'm 17.
It was quite a shock for me and my family, but thankfully the Lord has blessed me with a very compassionate mother who does her best to help.

Now I don't know what to eat and drink? It's all a little confusing.

I used to get something for the coffee everyday but I realize that I can't have, for instance a little cake for my coffee. So I've tried some walnuts and almonds, I guess that does not effect my blood sugar?

Do you guys have any idea or advice about snacks or just anything diabetes related in general then please write, I need to know more and perhaps hear some stories?

Thanks man!

Sure, I can give you some useful tips.

Firstly, look up something known as Glycemic Index(GI). This is a measure of the effect certain foods have on your blood sugar. You want to try to avoid food that have a high GI as much as possible.

Secondly, having fibre with every meal is good too. Fibre prevents rapid absorption of sugar, to spike your blood sugar levels. It causes a gradual release of sugar into the bloodstream.

Lastly, nutrition is of key importance for overall health. There have been type 1 diabetics who have reduced the amount of insulin they need to be taking by increasing their nutrient intake. I will message you in a while with more info.

Upvote 0

single eye

Jun 12, 2014
✟16,169.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Scan., an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Applied to blood-sugar control it is about eliminating anti-caking chemicals from the diet. Anti-caking chemicals are added to powdered and granulated products like salt to prevent clumping from moisture. It is also added to many shredded or crumbled cheeses. It also is added to many seasonings like paprika. Eliminate these chemicals and your body will control it's blood-sugar just fine on it's own.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Use humalog and monitor it. I can eat anything except soda pop. It works just as good as human insulin.

Just a YFI, my coffee in the morning, with a bit of milk, requires me to take insulin for it. Also as you are young, listen to the advice of those who are helping you, as you start to notice the effects when you're older. Get a good morning sugar then you can play with the humalog throughout the day.

Upvote 0

vash07

Jan 1, 2015
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been type 1 for 24 years and even low car/no carb foods raise my blood sugar. When i eat a hamburger (not including bread or ketchup) or a couple of eggs i count it as 10 carbs. There is nothing i can really eat without taking a shot for it. I have had the best luck with eating 3 meals and 1 snack at night if in hungry.

30-40 carbs for breakfast
60 carbs for lunch
60 carbs for dinner
30-40 carbs for a night time snack

Upvote 0