Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, terry.
Sorry.

I recognize your complaint has some validity, but that validity is not resting on valid cause.

The point I assert is that The Pope had no business repressing freedom of speech at all, for any reason, regardless of his opinion on what is & ain't heresy.
It is tyranny pure and simple & needs to stopped on that ground alone.
I'm not going to bother reading your links because they are grist for a different mill than the title of this thread would suggest as well as because you lack the wherewithal to succinctly state your assertions, requiring lengthy reading to ascertain the sophisticated rationale of defending what is a patently absurd position on the very surface.
It reminds me of what a missionary friend told me about the state of the church in Africa is like: A mile wide & an inch deep.
I mean to be Frank, not harsh. Shirley you understand, bro.

Reactions: mont974x4
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I mean to be Frank, not harsh. Shirley you understand, bro.
:D Sometimes this is what some of these debates sound like:

oger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

Upvote 0

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
:D Sometimes this is what some of these debates sound like:

oger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?
LOL

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recognize your complaint has some validity, but that validity is not resting on valid cause.

The point I assert is that The Pope had no business repressing freedom of speech at all, for any reason, regardless of his opinion on what is & ain't heresy.

Upvote 0

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where'd Terry go?
Well, let us just say.. ... do not expect him any time soon....
Oh, I'm here. I'm now talking to people with private messages. I allowed the evil that spreads through this forum to affect me, and in so doing I violated my catholic faith. I have asked God to forgive me. And to those good people that are in here trying to be charitable Christians, I apologize

I love to share my faith what I believe with people. I welcome private messages from anyone who has a question or would like to talk. But I will no longer sink into the depths to which some of these threads have descended. I cannot allow myself to violate my faith and my God in such a disgraceful way again. This will probably be the only post you see from me in this thread.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If what the Pope was trying to repress and extinguish was lies that would lead many away from Christ and to eternal damnation then he was defending souls from Hell.

That is how I see it and that is how many saw it then and still do today.

Even you agree it is better to defend someone from going to Hell vesus doing nothing at all.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jack, I didn't no-ways, no-how suggest that he sit with his hands in his cassock. I just said he had no business thievin' people's freedom of speech & religion, no matter how "noble" his "reason", even if he was doin' for cute lil' babies & fuzzy warm kitty cats.

It would've been smarter for him to feed his flock with the ability to feed themselves (literacy), thereby earning their trust, loyalty, and intelligence which they could in turn help him defend against these heresies.
But no! He had a wardrobe to aquire & maintain, and cathedrals to build, etc., etc., etc.

Try not to imagine I'm suggesting a person do nothing when all I've asserted is that they not do a specific thing, waddaya say?
BTW, how was mass this mornin'? Were all the usual cute girls in attendance?;)

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you believe the Pope had control that he did not. There were kings that ran their kingdoms and often times the kings would move against their christian advising.

As to Mass we go at 1:30 and I have to get ready shortly. I try not to focus on cute girls in attendance so much as Jesus at the altar. I am also in prayer almost the whole time and Mass moves quick and there is so much packed in a short time too. Not much chance for anything else. Oh! Also need to make sure my 6 year old is being respectful and qiuet. :)

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL, good one!

I think you believe the pope lacked perrogatives he did not.

I think the Pope acted as best he could with his charactor and tried to save as many souls from damnation as he could.

I think there were many forces moving in those times and the Pope with the support of the Catholic Church was not enough to stop all the damage.

There was a lot of evil in those times and much you and I can imagine and always fall short in understanding. Real life experience brings an understanding that reading or imagination cannot bring. So we are but spectators of a time long gone.

Bottom line is that I know the Catholic Church was mostly concerned with losing souls to evil and a path to hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you believe the Pope had control that he did not. There were kings that ran their kingdoms and often times the kings would move against their christian advising.

As to Mass we go at 1:30 and I have to get ready shortly. I try not to focus on cute girls in attendance so much as Jesus at the altar.................. :)
Does that take quite a bit of effort :D

LLOJ [girls in our church do not come there to get focused upon by us men of God]

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If what the Pope was trying to repress and extinguish was lies that would lead many away from Christ and to eternal damnation then he was defending souls from Hell.
...wouldn't that have been better accomplished with out setting them on fire here on Earth? Or not torturing them to get them to recant?

That is how I see it and that is how many saw it then and still do today.
So the people who believe different from your Church are in danger of "eternal damnation"? :sorry:

Even you agree it is better to defend someone from going to Hell vesus doing nothing at all.
Defend? Yes. Coerce? Not so much. :sigh:
Discussions like this always remind me of a quote:
“Jesus was not killed by atheism and anarchy. He was brought down by law and order allied with religion, which is always a deadly mix. Beware those who claim to know the mind of God and who are prepared to use force, if necessary, to make others conform. Beware those who cannot tell God’s will from their own. Temple police are always a bad sign.”
- Barbara Brown Taylor
tulc(once more happy for the separation) :)

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
quote=tulc;...wouldn't that have been better accomplished with out setting them on fire here on Earth? Or not torturing them to get them to recant?
Some of us are of the idea that fear is the most effective form of persuasion, & it is true that immolation is 100% effective against repeat offenders.;)

So the people who believe different from your Church are in danger of "eternal damnation"? :sorry:
You've missed all the chat re: Unam Sanctum?
(go ahead, click on the link... it's a short read. Less than half a cup of coffee long.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We are in the Great Tribulation... where even the elite may faulter. :D
Yepperz, 2000yrs and still counting. :thumbsup:

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Revelation 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

http://christianforums.com/t6813701-question-time-jesus-returns-before-or-after-1000yrs.html

Chapter 20 Verse 4-5 Deals with Christ's Established Church that refussed to follow the beast. This was all done when Rome converted to Christianity and the 1000 years began.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yepperz, 2000yrs and still counting. :thumbsup:

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Revelation 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

http://christianforums.com/t6813701-question-time-jesus-returns-before-or-after-1000yrs.html

Chapter 20 Verse 4-5 Deals with Christ's Established Church that refussed to follow the beast. This was all done when Rome converted to Christianity and the 1000 years began.

1000 is symbolic... just as 7 is symbolic and 6 and so one and so forth...

:p

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice way to get around your denomination's interpretation of it. :p

I have to wait for the doctrine to come out. :blush: