• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

TX Ob-gyn sued for performing abortion

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by jayem, Sep 22, 2021.

1. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,858
    Atheist
    Married
    Dr. Alan Braid, a San Antonio OB-GYN who staffs an abortion clinic, performed a termination after the new TX law was enacted. Obviously, it’s a test case. And—because a suit was filed against him in accordance with the law— he has the legal standing to challenge it.

“I acted because I had a duty of care to this patient, as I do for all patients, and because she has a fundamental right to receive this care,” Dr. Braid wrote. “I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn’t get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested.”

Good for him. The statute is a legislative travesty. I hope he prevails.

Texas Doctor Says He Performed an Abortion in Defiance of New State Law

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Yttrium

Yttrium Independent Centrist

+2,007
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Yay a test case!

Must go buy some popcorn.

3. Abaxvahl

Abaxvahl Well-Known Member

+651
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    Finally some drama.

4. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,323
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    The NY Times article doesn't mention any actual lawsuits, but this article from the Texas Tribune does: Texas doctor who admitted to violating the state’s near-total abortion ban sued under new law There probably has to be a lawsuit -- not just an abortion performed -- in order for the physician to claim in court that he's been hurt by the Texas law. We do need a test case here, so that the courts can evaluate this dubious new law.

(I'm hoping the Texas Tribune is a legit local Texas news site. Alas, I'm not from Texas, so I don't know their reputation.)

5. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,612
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The doctor is not the one suing he's the one being sued by two lawyers from two different states, neither of them is in TX.

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+8,019
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well, that was quick.

7. Yttrium

Yttrium Independent Centrist

+2,007
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Just think what could happen if the law is upheld by the Supreme Court.

I wonder what the record is for number of lawsuits directed at one person? And how badly could we break it?

8. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+3,534
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    I understand both lawers don't have anything against abortion, but are against this law and are doing this to put it before the higher court.

Don't know how this will fly with the court.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+8,620
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    The refused of the supreme court not to injunct this bill on the grounds that Texas deliberately Aimed to bypass the constitution is a travesty of law.

The right wing justices are claiming to be impartial etc. But if this bill was by California to make a mental health check manditory for gun ownership using exactly the same language as the Texas bill, the supreme court would have stepped in before you could blink.

10. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath Supporter

+4,788
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I’m thinking that this was set up like the “Scopes” [teaching evolution] or Rosa Parks’ cases were…everybody is actually on the “same side” and only in it to force the court action that can begin the litigation process.

Doing it this way your group can get the most favorable path to get the courts to see things your way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Goonie

+8,620
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    The thing is the supreme court are already preparing to hear arguments on another abortion case in December, which all indications are will effectively render roe vs Wade obselete.

So they might not even hear this case as they are likely to have already ruled on a case concerning at what month you can ban abortion.

12. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath Supporter

+4,788
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    The problem is overturning a decision that (in its effect) confers a “right” is that the Court has to repudiate the 1973 decision and spell out exactly where a woman’s rights end with regard to her procreation decisions.

The worst that will happen is that the question of abortion will go back to the states with guidelines.

13. Goonie

+8,620
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    There is every chance that the court wil rule states can ban outright abortion from 6 weeks , effectively ending abortion in many usbstates.

14. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+10,932
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    Then the race will be on to see what state can make it the most illegal.

15. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,323
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    That's what I meant. If the doctor is successfully sued, then he can say that the law has harmed him -- because of the law, he's out $10,000. So at that point the Texas law has harmed him, and (I think) he can sue the state of Texas for that harm. Until then, it may not be possible to show in court that the law has actually harmed anyone, so there may not be a basis for a court case. I think.

16. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,612
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    OK, gotcha now, thanks.

17. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,350
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Oftexas: Remember the Alamo.

18. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+5,202
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    Though that can backfire. Plessy v. Ferguson was a strategic lawsuit and we got stuck with "Separate but equal" for decades because of it.

19. Sif

Sif .

+1,290
    United States
    Other Religion
    Private

20. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,350
    United States
    Baptist
    Married