Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
#1. I heard it a few times, from different sources, when I was a small child. An uncle told me it was in the Bible. As I got older and read the Bible for myself, I found out it wasn't. In fairness it does teach a Biblical principle, and it's a parable such as Jesus used, but it just so happens it isn't in there.

A boy was standing under a tree when his father called for him. "Son, come here." (My uncle stressed that the father didn't in any way get emotional or raise his voice, but said it calmly.) In some versions of the story, the boy obeys and goes to his father immediately. He is therefore safe when, seconds later, a snake drops out of the tree and lands directly where he would have been standing. In other versions, the boy stands there asking why, or otherwise wants to put up an argument. (A babysitter quoted him as saying, "I don't want to, and I don't have to!") The snake then falls on him and kills him. The obvious moral this is meant to teach is that children must do as they are told right this instant, no questions and no backtalk.

What is the actual source of that story?

#2. I read this one some time ago, but I can't remember where. It might have been a magazine article. I assumed it was a detailed description of the Biblical account, but it isn't quite.

During the moments of the Crucifixion, a priest in the Temple was preparing to sacrifice a lamb. Even had the knife in hand, and was just on the point of making the fatal move. Then Jesus died, the earth shook, and the curtain in the Temple was torn in two. While the priest was distracted by all of this commotion, the lamb escaped and ran away unharmed. This was symbolic because the lamb’s sacrifice was no longer needed. The true Lamb had made His sacrifice and died to set it free.

The Bible gives me every element of this story except the freed literal four-legged lamb. Closest I’ve heard since reading that story is the Ray Boltz song, “Watch the Lamb.” Has anybody else ever read it?

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Feed My sheep"
"Feed My lambs"
"Feed My sheep"
Then Jesus died, the earth shook, and the curtain in the Temple was torn in two.

The sheep and the lambs of Jesus the Perfect Shepherd, as long as we follow Him, are literally and forever freed from sin , from the power of the world, the power of death, and from the power of the devil.

Upvote 0