Two posters say their opinion is from God, yet disagree. Now what?

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have discovered the doctrinal chaos of Protestantism! And, the reason Jesus Christ founded just ONE Church, said it was to remain ONE, and promised that ONE Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into ALL truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". You are asking about TWO conflicting posters. However, in Protestantism there are over 6,000 registered denominations, each one claiming to be teaching the truth because what they teach came from "the Bible alone", yet the beliefs/teachings of each denomination conflicting with the beliefs/teachings of the others. And that doesn't even include the 20,000 so-called "non-denominational" Protestant churches (which are just mini-denominations). Meanwhile, the ONE Church Jesus founded remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years, just as He promised it would. You just can't beat God's plan.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have discovered the doctrinal chaos of Protestantism! And, the reason Jesus Christ founded just ONE Church, said it was to remain ONE, and promised that ONE Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into ALL truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". You are asking about TWO conflicting posters. However, in Protestantism there are over 6,000 registered denominations, each one claiming to be teaching the truth because what they teach came from "the Bible alone", yet the beliefs/teachings of each denomination conflicting with the beliefs/teachings of the others. And that doesn't even include the 20,000 so-called "non-denominational" Protestant churches (which are just mini-denominations). Meanwhile, the ONE Church Jesus founded remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years, just as He promised it would. You just can't beat God's plan.
What is this one church you speak of?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that church just happens to be yours. What a lucky fellow. Too bad for the rest of us... what do you call us?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not surprising, if you know there are 3000 Protestant denominations, at least; yet they think are inspired by God. And that the Bible is the only authority we need.
Why hasn’t your Magisterium provided an infallible interpretation of the Bible yet?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What should readers conclude when two posters claim they got their position from God, yet they disagree?
1) One of the posters is right and the other is wrong? Which one?
2) Both of the posters are right? How can that be?
3) Both of the posters are wrong? Entirely possible.

I tend to go with number three.
But not having to do with what was said, but the fact that they said it.
If one claims to speak for God they are declaring themselves to be a prophet.
You better be 100 percent sure of what you are saying if you go there.
I guess I am of the ilk that needs to see the posters.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I am of the ilk that needs to see the posters.
That defeats the purpose of the topic question.
If God revealed a truth to you, is it appropriate to use that fact to your advantage to win an argument? What if your opponent does the same thing? Who is right? Who is wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be claiming that Protestants are not a part of the Body of Christ, the church. Am I understanding you correctly?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are opinions some people can have but certain dogmas are not refutable
Infallibility interpreting the entirety of Holy Scriptures would have solved many problems in history for Rome. Maybe the schism with the East.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God revealed a truth to you, is it appropriate to use that fact to your advantage to win an argument? What if your opponent does the same thing? Who is right? Who is wrong?
Steve you are Pentecostal right? Can you share some of your experiences when something like the OP happens in your church?

Honest question here.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gods truth is already revealed in His scriptures. It would not be my truth. Now if you are talking about interpretation, then that is a whole other subject matter. We all have man made lens that need to be striped away so that we see all posters the same way.
Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What should readers conclude when two posters claim they got their position from God, yet they disagree?

The problem is there are an infinite amount of scenarios where 1, 2, 3, may be right. It is entirely plausible that God identifies an aspect of one's life they should follow that are not the same as another who may not need to follow, so 2 people may hold opposing views but both be right because it is right for them. I'm reminded of John 21 with Peter asking Jesus "“Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”" so our problem may not be we have the wrong revelation but instead we are looking at our brothers eye too much.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Doesn't Christianity acknowledge the existence of "other" supra-terrestrial Principalities & Powers that influence humans on earth?

I understand Christianity could accommodate such a situation by supposing, that one or both posters were being influenced by supra-natural "spiritual forces"... which they were confusing for The One True God in heaven

crudely stated, "un-God-ly supra-natural powers" (supposedly) exist

• Informative
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

One problem is when these divergent opinions come from varying interpretations of
Scripture, by two people both claiming to be led by the Spirit. We know Scripture is right, but which person is right, if either? I mean, God wants us to know the truth...

• Agree
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is the tragedy of these kinds of debates. Could use some prayers for peace, love, and understanding at my house right now. Just askin. God bless you guys!

• Prayers
Upvote 0