Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering the example of the Jews in Jesus' time and their attachment to tradition over Him and His Words, I certainly see parallels today.

But, the two most humbling passages that I see in Scripture are Jesus words around the two builders' parable (Matt 7:21-27) and the 10 virgins parable (Matt 25:1-13). In both cases, people willfully called Him Lord and thought they were serving and waiting for Him, only to find out they weren't really serving Him when He said "I never knew you, depart from Me."

Some may say they really knew that they didn't know Him. I don't think that is true. I think they truly believed they did (or maybe they once did and didn't remain, so their names were blotted out of the Book of Life). Whatever the situation, the reality was that they didn't, as far as Jesus was concerned. And, His judgment is all that matters.

Reactions: Dave L

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have the assurance of the Holy Spirit as a guarantee from the Lord (2 Corinthians 1:22). Praise and thank God for Him:).

I agree. But, I don't doubt that those two groups didn't think they had what they needed as well.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, let's just worry about our walk with the Lord:). I believe that in the first parable the Lord wanted us to be doers of His word (preaching etc., is only part of the Christian life. A personal relationship with the Lord is what matters). In the second parable, the virgins were apparently not ready for His second coming. When the Lord assures us "Son, your sins are forgiven", there's nothing more reassuring about a right relationship with Him than those blessed words. Let's also be alert. I doubt if any of them had received the Holy Spirit, probably because He wasn't poured out yet at the time of those parables. There may be some in the church today who are still that way. Let's pray for them. Peace in Christ:).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Every knee will bow and every tongue confess Christ as Lord, so pointing out they called him Lord, is not exclusively reserved for people with knowledge about Him.

Matthew 25, the wicked dead also call Him Lord, as did the foolish virgins.

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

The 5 foolish virgins were not allowed to enter into the presence of God, so they were excluded from the kingdom, they did not know Christ and Christ did not know them. Those of the world will not be watching or expecting the return of Christ.

11 “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ 12 But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's a wonder that God would grant entrance to any.

1 How sweet and awful is the place
with Christ within the doors,
while everlasting love displays
the choicest of her stores.

2 While all our hearts and all our songs
join to admire the feast,
each of us cries, with thankful tongue,
"Lord, why was I a guest?

3 "Why was I made to hear Thy voice,
and enter while there's room,
when thousands make a wretched choice,
and rather starve than come?"