Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did another cruise of the Internet and found two OCA parishes within 30 minutes of me. One of them has Saturday Vespers, which I think will be a good place for me to start. And I am in need of a spiritual director who is not Western.

Home

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church

They are the closest to me at this time.

Still praying and seeking God's will, but at this time, the parish I am in appears to have need for my service.

All in God's time....

Jack Isaacks

Jan 24, 2017
Arizona
✟12,262.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I did another cruise of the Internet and found two OCA parishes within 30 minutes of me. One of them has Saturday Vespers, which I think will be a good place for me to start. And I am in need of a spiritual director who is not Western.

Home

Still praying and seeking God's will, but at this time, the parish I am in appears to have need for my service.

All in God's time....

Just out of curiousity, dear soul, did you ever hear of or visit Holy Transfiguration Melkite Catholic Church in McClean, VA?

There are some 20 Eastern Catholic churches. Most use the Byzantine Liturgy. Among these are the Melkite Catholics and in particular Holy Transfiguration.

Look 'em up.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just out of curiousity, dear soul, did you ever hear of or visit Holy Transfiguration Melkite Catholic Church in McClean, VA?

There are some 20 Eastern Catholic churches. Most use the Byzantine Liturgy. Among these are the Melkite Catholics and in particular Holy Transfiguration.

Look 'em up.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I'm curious as to why you, as an Orthodox parishioner, would encourage me towards another Eastern Catholic Church rather than towards Orthodoxy?

I have been to Holy Transfiguration a number of times. Fr. Joseph is a marvelous homilist and the Liturgy is done beautifully without any Latin accretions added to it. But when I prayed as I was visiting several various Catholic parishes, the Ukrainian parish is the one to which I was sent. The answer to my prayer was clear and quite unmistakeable.

So why am I looking into Orthodoxy? Because I have come to understand that there is no such thing as "Orthodox in Communion with Rome." To hold to the Orthodox distinctives in dogma and praxis means that I am in conflict with Roman teachings (and catch a lot of hell from Roman Catholics about how I MUST believe what is in the Catholic Catechism). I am Orthodox in heart, but having been given directions to the parish I am in now, I am simply looking for leading to see if the Lord will move me or if I am supposed to stay where I am.

Nonetheless, I prefer Ancient Faith Radio over EWTN, Orthodox preaching over Latin preaching, and accept the dogmatic declarations and understandings of Orthodoxy over those of the Roman Church - all of which puts me, at this time, in a most uncomfortable situation when around Latins.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Home

All in God's time....

they both have Saturday Vespers, and they both look very active and loving. great finds

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious as to why you, as an Orthodox parishioner, would encourage me towards another Eastern Catholic Church rather than towards Orthodoxy?

I have been to Holy Transfiguration a number of times. Fr. Joseph is a marvelous homilist and the Liturgy is done beautifully without any Latin accretions added to it. But when I prayed as I was visiting several various Catholic parishes, the Ukrainian parish is the one to which I was sent. The answer to my prayer was clear and quite unmistakeable.

So why am I looking into Orthodoxy? Because I have come to understand that there is no such thing as "Orthodox in Communion with Rome." To hold to the Orthodox distinctives in dogma and praxis means that I am in conflict with Roman teachings (and catch a lot of hell from Roman Catholics about how I MUST believe what is in the Catholic Catechism). I am Orthodox in heart, but having been given directions to the parish I am in now, I am simply looking for leading to see if the Lord will move me or if I am supposed to stay where I am.

Nonetheless, I prefer Ancient Faith Radio over EWTN, Orthodox preaching over Latin preaching, and accept the dogmatic declarations and understandings of Orthodoxy over those of the Roman Church - all of which puts me, at this time, in a most uncomfortable situation when around Latins.

I think he is just making sure you are being cautious and know all of your options (which I know you are and I agree with your conclusion here).

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, just as an update, I kind of sideways floated the idea of going to Vespers in the hearing of my wife.

Let's just say she is much less than thrilled with the prospect. As in "This is a good Catholic household."

She doesn't know a thing about Orthodoxy (she never even saw Eastern Catholicism till marrying me) and doesn't wish to know.

It will be a long journey, I am thinking.

BTW - Why am I not getting notifications on my posts in my Email box? Any suggestions? Something maybe on my profile page???

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
She doesn't know a thing about Orthodoxy (she never even saw Eastern Catholicism till marrying me) and doesn't wish to know.

it will be. be patient and prayerful and honest with her, and God will take care of the rest. lots of folk on here began as the only Orthodox spouse with a hostile or indifferent significant other, and then the other came around

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was about to ask the same question....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, just as an update, I kind of sideways floated the idea of going to Vespers in the hearing of my wife.

Let's just say she is much less than thrilled with the prospect. As in "This is a good Catholic household."

BTW - Why am I not getting notifications on my posts in my Email box? Any suggestions? Something maybe on my profile page???

Take her to Pascha midnight, she will be hooked! Shalom

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Home

All in God's time....

The one looks like a mission church. I would go to St Luke's. You know the OCA Cathedral is in DC as is the ROCOR.

Upvote 0

HowdyDave@

Br. Athanasy; Obl.SB (Orthodox Benedictine Oblate)
Mar 28, 2017
USA
✟14,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
You did not state where you are starting from.

If you are a Western Liturgical Christian, you might want to look into Western Rite Orthodoxy.

This is Orthodoxy that uses a western Liturgy that you might be already familiar with.
Both ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia) and the Antiochian Orthodox Church have Western Rite (albeit very small) branches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You did not state where you are starting from.

If you are a Western Liturgical Christian, you might want to look into Western Rite Orthodoxy.

This is Orthodoxy that uses a western Liturgy that you might be already familiar with.
Both ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia) and the Antiochian Orthodox Church both have Western Rite (albeit very small) branches.

Hello again, Dave. Glad to see you made it to TAW! Welcome!

Upvote 0