Two men are both saved...

Which is better off in heaven, a Protestant or the Catholic?

• Protestant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Catholic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One's position is not based solely or preeminently on the church you attend.

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Basically, what bearing does doctrine, or church service that you attend have on your position in heaven? I see none listed in scripture. I also don't anticipate a doctrine test to get in.

Some people promote their church as true or better than another. I just want to challenge them to answer how important doctrine is once you get passed into the saved category. Will they be any better off than those in the churches they belittle? I know I challenge the Catholics, but I expect all people to be able to answer and defend what they believe. Even though I challenge other faiths, I don't believe they will be automatically lower.

The One Church has many doctrines. Somehow Jesus still heads them all, for he is the head of the One Church of all the saved. Is one church more deserving of God's grace than another?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is similar to another thread about what qualifies anyone to be considered to be a Christian. Most doctrinal differences are inconsequential to that description and also to the issue raised on this thread.

There are some issues that go to the fundamentals of the faith, but most disputes between denominations are not in that category.

That doesn't make them pointless, because adhering to what is true rather than what is wrong, even in small matters, is worth aspiring to. But when it comes to who is a Christian, or which church is a genuine church, who will stand higher in heaven...no.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Basically, what bearing does doctrine, or church service that you attend have on your position in heaven? I see none listed in scripture. I also don't anticipate a doctrine test to get in.

Some people promote their church as true or better than another. I just want to challenge them to answer how important doctrine is once you get passed into the saved category. Will they be any better off than those in the churches they belittle? I know I challenge the Catholics, but I expect all people to be able to answer and defend what they believe. Even though I challenge other faiths, I don't believe they will be automatically lower.

The One Church has many doctrines. Somehow Jesus still heads them all, for he is the head of the One Church of all the saved. Is one church more deserving of God's grace than another?
The Lord is concerned with each individual soul and that they come to know HIM by seeking Him in spirit and in truth.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,367.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Basically, what bearing does doctrine, or church service that you attend have on your position in heaven?

None.
A born again, Spirit filled, child of God who faithfully attends a Catholic/orthodox/high Anglican church each week, is no more saved, and loved by God, than a born again, Spirit filled child of God who goes to an evangelical church and dances in the aisles.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is similar to another thread about what qualifies anyone to be considered to be a Christian. Most doctrinal differences are inconsequential to that description and also to the issue raised on this thread.
As my thread starts with the condition of being saved, it has nothing to do with what you suggest.
There are some issues that go to the fundamentals of the faith, but most disputes between denominations are not in that category.
I so agree. It perplexes me how passionately and how religiously some defend their church. I don't understand what makes this so common. I do admit that doctrine does matter to me, enough such that I left my born into church of 50 years.
That doesn't make them pointless, because adhering to what is true rather than what is wrong, even in small matters, is worth aspiring to. But when it comes to who is a Christian, or which church is a genuine church, who will stand higher in heaven...no.
This is my unanswered question. If there is no blessing in this life for following the right church and there is no benefit for it on judgement day, what is the point? You say it is worth aspiring to, and my actions in reading the Bible for myself agree, but can you answer where is the worth you speak of.

I think it is mostly as Paul teaches about covering the head in church. There are reasons for both answers and in the end it is just following your convictions. There is not always a true answer to every difference. My issue is with those that say one answer is true and the other is wrong, but the argument they give is just that it is what they were taught, aka their tradition.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is my unanswered question. If there is no blessing in this life for following the right church and there is no benefit for it on judgement day, what is the point?
To do right because it is right is the point. If no one rewarded you in any way for performing an act of mercy when you see another person in need, you should still do it because it is right and moral to do. Or if we put it another way...because it is what God wants done.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To do right because it is right is the point. If no one rewarded you in any way for performing an act of mercy when you see another person in need, you should still do it because it is right and moral to do. Or if we put it another way...because it is what God wants done.
But you still don't address my question. My question is not about doing right. It is about knowing what is the right doctrine and the benefit of it. There is plenty of scripture that says we will be rewarded in heaven for our actions. The beatitudes list many blessings for certain behavior. None are for doctrine. The best scripture that has an explicit blessing for knowledge is in Revelation.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.​

Paul and Hebrews speak of going beyond drinking milk and maturing to more advanced teachings. Look closely though for what defines the solid food eaters; those who are not worldly and those that can distinguish good from evil. Further they should mature for the purpose of teaching others. Hardly an encouragement for voluminous doctrine.

1 Corinthians 3:2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly.

Hebrews 5:2 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.​

So, is the best church the one that teaches good works?

There are plenty of churches that emphasize works, so much that they teach it part of salvation. But, this goes against the gospel message so I have a hard time with that emphasis.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But you still don't address my question. My question is not about doing right.

Well, let's see. This is what you wrote and what I replied to--

This is my unanswered question. If there is no blessing in this life for following the right church and there is no benefit for it on judgement day, what is the point?

Ah, so I guess you mean that you asked about the right CHURCH, as opposed to right actions in themselves. If so, there is no particular benefit in one's membership and certainly not in this life. Those churches that insist that there is, however, do so on one of two bases. Either they hold that only one church is a real church and God will disapprove of all others along with their adherents OR ELSE it is because, on some doctrines at least, the difference between their teaching and that of other church bodies can be a matter of the individual person's spiritual wellbeing. If, for instance, you are led to perform immoral acts because you've been taught that they are actually Godly, your salvation might be compromised and, even if it is not, you wouldn't want to do wrong all the time, thinking it is actually right.

So, is the best church the one that teaches good works?
They all teach good works.

There are plenty of churches that emphasize works, so much that they teach it part of salvation.
I don't believe in works righteousness either, but these other churches would probably insist that they teach faith and doctrine as much as the performance of good works...and also, that the churches which are strong on faith also do teach that doing good and living a Christlike life style is important as an outgrowth of a lively faith.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's see. This is what you wrote and what I replied to--

Ah, so I guess you mean that you asked about the right CHURCH, as opposed to right actions in themselves.
The OP says nothing about right actions. My pure questions is on the benefit of knowing the right doctrine, which means being in the right church.
If so, there is no particular benefit in one's membership and certainly not in this life. Those churches that insist that there is, however, do so on one of two bases. Either they hold that only one church is a real church and God will disapprove of all others along with their adherents
I don't think your heart is in this posit, so I won't challenge you to argue how one church is superior to others but gets no reward for being better.
OR ELSE it is because, on some doctrines at least, the difference between their teaching and that of other church bodies can be a matter of the individual person's spiritual wellbeing. If, for instance, you are led to perform immoral acts because you've been taught that they are actually Godly, your salvation might be compromised and, even if it is not, you wouldn't want to do wrong all the time, thinking it is actually right.
I take you to be in the OR ELSE posit.

Assuming that all the churches in question teach doctrine that is sufficient for salvation, your question of sin is meaningless as we all sin. I commit enough sins that I am aware of to condemn me. God's grace forgives me of them. God's grace also forgives the sins I am not aware of just the same, despite what some argue.

As to a church that has a doctrine that allows sexual immorality, like how homosexuality is accepted in some liberal churches. I have to say this is going to be a challenge to the Church. We should try and reach out to those sinners, but we should not tolerate such open sin as being acceptable to God such that they don't even consider it a sin. For scripture I look to Jesus warning to the church in Pergamum that was had sexual immorality in it, Revelation 2:12-17.

I will give you this argument, but the bulk of doctrinal differences do not revolve around homosexuality, and my OP condition stipulates doctrinal differences that do not affect salvation.
I don't believe in works righteousness either, but these other churches would probably insist that they teach faith and doctrine as much as the performance of good works...and also, that the churches which are strong on faith also do teach that doing good and living a Christlike life style is important as an outgrowth of a lively faith.
So we both agree here, then.

Consider a member of a church that pushes good works as part of salvation spends their entire life doing good things for others, think Mother Teresa or the Salvation Army that has a motto "Doing the most Good".

Will they be better off in heaven because their church convinced them they had to do so many good deeds and they did?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums