not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
There are two Christmases. One is gaudy and loud, drunk and tinsel-bedecked, belting out Slade at the office party. The other is still and introspective, silent nights and stars, carols and the quiet kindness of others. It is for this more elusive Christmas that thousands of us will head to church tonight for Midnight Mass. For many it will be their only brush with the Church of England all year....

The church should be cherished, not mocked

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are two Christmases. One is gaudy and loud, drunk and tinsel-bedecked, belting out Slade at the office party. The other is still and introspective, silent nights and stars, carols and the quiet kindness of others. It is for this more elusive Christmas that thousands of us will head to church tonight for Midnight Mass. For many it will be their only brush with the Church of England all year....

Though I see a place for both, my heart is with the more "elusive Christmas."

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was struck this year that I also saw two Christmases, even in the church. One is sentimental and focusses on the meekness, gentleness and goodness of the holy family, and is kind of a celebration of nostalgic ideas of family with shepherds and angels and wise men as supporting cast.

The other recognises in the birth of Christ a call for the overthrow of every tyrannical and oppressive power, the division of all society as the reign of God breaks into our dark and broken existence.

This Christmas I long for that second, robust, disruptive Christmas; that one that heralds true peace, true justice, true human community.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was struck this year that I also saw two Christmases, even in the church. One is sentimental and focusses on the meekness, gentleness and goodness of the holy family, and is kind of a celebration of nostalgic ideas of family with shepherds and angels and wise men as supporting cast.

The other recognises in the birth of Christ a call for the overthrow of every tyrannical and oppressive power, the division of all society as the reign of God breaks into our dark and broken existence.

This Christmas I long for that second, robust, disruptive Christmas; that one that heralds true peace, true justice, true human community.

I do see what you are saying and I think I do long for that, too.

But also, Advent and Christmas for me are a time of healing, a time to rest in that quiet and gracious Light who came into the world to heal my wounds.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I do see what you are saying and I think I do long for that, too.

But also, Advent and Christmas for me are a time of healing, a time to rest in that quiet and gracious Light who came into the world to heal my wounds.
To me, Christmas is a big opportunity to showcase the Christian Faith and church.

The contemplation you describe, in my opinion, should be part of our DNA as mature Christians, and can be done publicly and privately throughout the year.

We have a captive audience at Christmas of those that come for carols, or because they were invited by a friend, but know very little about Jesus and what he does for our societies.

The Christmas story is of God coming to live with us in our very imperfect world and enabling us, and those in our communities, to live life to the full. I like the second Christmas that Paidiske describes.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would like a time of healing... I am not sure I feel it is possible without some disruption of what is causing the wounds, first!

There is a time for rest and a time for action, and with skill, those two can coincide. We can rest in God even as we act, letting God work in us.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Our mulled wine is pretty tame after cooking all night.

The office neglected to offer a punch bowl, second shift was just starting.

We are headed to my parents christmas today.

I haven't been to a Mass in decades.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

Welcome to STR, SkyWriting.

• Friendly
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Are you planning on going to one? I hope you find it enriches you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you planning on going to one? I hope you find it enriches you.

Now that you mention it, the local Milwaukee bishop gave one of the most stirring sermons on the love Jesus I have ever heard. I was staunch conservative at the time and very impressed with the "fundamental" view of Jesus. I have been impressed for decades now with that mass sermon.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Now that you mention it, the local Milwaukee bishop gave one of the most stirring sermons on the love Jesus I have ever heard. I was staunch conservative at the time and very impressed with the "fundamental" view of Jesus. I have been impressed for decades now with that mass sermon.
From mustard seeds...

Upvote 0