SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Two black men say they were kicked out of Walmart for wearing protective masks. Others worry it will happen to them.
Kip Diggs glanced at his reflection in the rearview mirror before heading into the grocery store: a baby-blue bandanna — matching his University of North Carolina baseball cap — masked his nose, mouth and salt-and-pepper beard.

The 53-year-old Nashville marketing consultant had chosen his face covering carefully for his trip to Kroger on Sunday, his first outing since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new guidelines advising Americans to cover their faces to slow the spread of covid-19.

“As an African American man, I have to be cognizant of the things I do and where I go, so appearances matter,” Diggs said. “I have pink, lime green, Carolina blue so I don’t look menacing. I want to take a lot of that stigma and risk out as best I can.”

A recent report of a police officer following young black men who wore masks while shopping has amplified fears among people of color of being profiled as criminals or gang members. Civil rights leaders, politicians and community activists worry that concerns of racial bias will discourage black people from wearing masks to protect themselves and others, further increasing their exposure to a virus that is disproportionately infecting and killing African Americans.

Yet again we see how racism in America can have deadly consequences. You wear a mask to protect yourself only to be treated like a criminal.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm white and i got accused by store security (not walmart) of stealing dirt off a pallet I paid for. When i asked the employee to back off 6 feet, it took quite awhile, and he muttered why? since i had a mask on. Lots of people are real tense out there.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,129.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Two black men say they were kicked out of Walmart for wearing protective masks. Others worry it will happen to them.

Yet again we see how racism in America can have deadly consequences. You wear a mask to protect yourself only to be treated like a criminal.
When I heard read a headline that black men were concerned about wearing masks in public, I said to myself “Certainly this isn’t going to be a thing. There’s a pandemic going on, no one will be that...” And then I sighed and stopped myself.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

At first I misread the headline and I thought that it said that two black men were kicked out of Walmart for *not* wearing a mask. I was about to point out that such an action might *not* be racially motivated. Alas however, when I figured out what the headline actually said, I realized it was certainly racially motivated. :(

I used to naively believe that racism was an "older generation" problem, but alas it seems to still be alive and well, even during a pandemic no less. That's just sad. I hope they sue Walmart.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If I learned anything from the other thread on this topic, it is that
- that won't happen, what are you worried about?
- it is only one case, what are you worried about?
- no one got killed (yet), what are you worried about?
- if people did get killed, it was a while ago, what are you worried about?

Anxiously await similar discussions here.

Upvote 0