Twisted Scripture, God hates the sin but loves the sinner.

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
I often heard this phrase on the T.V., radio, and from the pulpit. I remember hearing it at least 5-10 times a week. I can't remember the last time I heard this phrase used, at least ten years or more. This is just another example of how the E.C. world keeps moving away from Scripture and replacing Scripture truth with the "Traditions of Men."
The reality of sin and that all people, even believers, sin is now a taboo subject, to be avoided like the plague. Scripture teaches that all people are sinners and that everyone is accountable for their sins. But, the E.C. world has created the illusion that believers are a "special class" of people who are above sin or not responsible for their sin, that if you sin, it is because you have a "demon" of any particular sin and the "demon" caused your sin. Or, it is your flesh that sinned, not you, which is what Gnosticism teaches.
I have seen the movement that "Christians are not sinners" continue to grow. On the web today, 10/1/2022, I found:

The Guardian Nigeria News- A sinner is not a Christian.

Nairaland.com- A Christian is Not A Sinner, And A Sinner Is Not A Christian. "A Christian is one who does not commit sin."

The Gospel Coalition- "In Christ, I'm Not a Sinner."

Grace Harbor Ministries- "You Are No Longer A Sinner."

I have also heard from the pulpits, read articles, and watched videos teaching that living a sinless life is possible. All of this contradicts Scripture. 1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. Of course, some will respond with 1 John 3:6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whoever sins has not seen him nor knows him. Did John contradict himself? Of course not! Based on parsing and context, in 3:6, John taught, "Those who abide in Christ do not continue in a life of constant sin.

To say that "God hates the sin but loves the sinner" is used to convince people that God's love is "unconditional." Scripture teaches that God does hate sin and His sheep are to hate sin, but no verse reads, "God hates the sin but loves the sinner." In one sense, the phrase can be used to apply to the sheep, but in no way can it be used to include all unsaved people.

The passage used as the "proof texts" to validate the phrase is Pro 6:16-19. The phrase hinges on one word, a word not found in any original Greek text. That word is "things." In early English translations, you will find specific words in italics. This means that the words in italics are words added by translators to bring clarity to a verse. While this is mostly very helpful, it is not always correct. In this case, the word "things" changes Scripture by taking away and adding to God's Word.
The original Hebrew Scripture reads, "These six does the LORD hate, yea seven are an abomination." The KJV translators did not like what verses 17-19 taught, so they decided they needed to change the meaning. The originally written verses clearly teach that sins alone are not what God hates. By inserting the word "things," they changed the context to mean "these sins are what God hates."
Let's examine the verses. Keep in mind the Jewish people expressed themselves differently than people in the Western culture. Their choice of words is a symbolic way to describe a concrete thought. We tend to say things directly, but the Jewish people communicated with inference. If we let our dog go outside in the rain and come back in, we would say, "The dog is wet. The Jews might say, "The dog appeared as if it came out of a pond." Both come to the same conclusion but are expressed in different ways. Different cultures express themselves in different ways.

Pro 6:17 "A proud look." God does hate pride in any person (Pro 8:13). Does this verse teach that God hates a specific physical expression? Who has a proud look? Only someone arrogant. Humble people don't walk around with a "proud look." James 4:6 ...God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. No mention of "God hates the sin of a proud look." Neither does it say that "God hates the sin of a proud look but loves those who have a proud look."

Pro 6:17 "A lying tongue." Does this mean that God hates the physical organ known as the tongue? A tongue that tells lies? Tongues don't speak. Tongues enable people to speak. Tongues are used to speak lies. People tell lies. Liars have a "lying tongue." This is a Jewish way of saying God hates liars. This does not refer to people who tell occasional lies, lie to protect one, or not hurt another. These are ungodly people who live a life of lying, who lie to deny guilt, lie to cause harm to another or lie to start trouble. This is why there is no commandment, "Thou shalt not lie." Because in the world of man, there are times when it is necessary to lie to protect others. The midwives in Exodus and Rahab are two examples. Judges 3:12-30, 4:16-23, 1Sam 19:9-18. None of these people were condemned by God or accused of doing wrong for lying. No mention of "God hates the sin of a lying tongue but loves those who have a lying tongue."

Pro 6:17 "Hands that shed innocent blood." Again, is this verse teach that God hates the "physical hands" of those who shed innocent blood?" Or is He talking about those who use their hands to shed innocent blood, murderers?

Pro 6:18 An heart (mind) that not simply devises wicked plans but puts the plans into action. Feet that are quick to run to get involved with evil acts. All of the verses up till now show how attitude, thoughts, and the different parts of the body are all used to sin. In Mat 5:29-30, Jesus taught don't use our body parts to sin. Once again, no mention that God hates the sins of those who use their mind to devise wicked plans or their feet to run to evil but loves them. In this passage, the word "sin" or "sins" is never used. There is no mention that God loves these people.

Pro 6:19 Now the focus switches from aspects of the body to actual people, a false witness and one that sows discord among brothers! These aren't "things," and these aren't only sins! These are the people that commit these sins! You can't get around this fact! Unless you don't like or believe what Scripture says. There is a big difference between saying you disagree with or don't like what Scripture says and denying what Scripture says. These verses are in all translations.

The KJV has influenced many other English translations. While the KJV versions and the NKJV still print "things" in italics, many different versions print "things" in regular type, leading people to believe that the word "things" is part of the original text. I find that very dishonest, don't you? In conclusion, no Scripture teaching proclaims, "God hates the sin, but loves the sinner."

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I often heard this phrase on the T.V., radio, and from the pulpit. I remember hearing it at least 5-10 times a week. I can't remember the last time I heard this phrase used, at least ten years or more. This is just another example of how the E.C. world keeps moving away from Scripture and replacing Scripture truth with the "Traditions of Men."
The reality of sin and that all people, even believers, sin is now a taboo subject, to be avoided like the plague. Scripture teaches that all people are sinners and that everyone is accountable for their sins. But, the E.C. world has created the illusion that believers are a "special class" of people who are above sin or not responsible for their sin, that if you sin, it is because you have a "demon" of any particular sin and the "demon" caused your sin. Or, it is your flesh that sinned, not you, which is what Gnosticism teaches.
I have seen the movement that "Christians are not sinners" continue to grow. On the web today, 10/1/2022, I found:

Nairaland.com- A Christian is Not A Sinner, And A Sinner Is Not A Christian. "A Christian is one who does not commit sin."

I have also heard from the pulpits, read articles, and watched videos teaching that living a sinless life is possible. All of this contradicts Scripture. 1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. Of course, some will respond with 1 John 3:6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whoever sins has not seen him nor knows him. Did John contradict himself? Of course not! Based on parsing and context, in 3:6, John taught, "Those who abide in Christ do not continue in a life of constant sin.

To say that "God hates the sin but loves the sinner" is used to convince people that God's love is "unconditional." Scripture teaches that God does hate sin and His sheep are to hate sin, but no verse reads, "God hates the sin but loves the sinner." In one sense, the phrase can be used to apply to the sheep, but in no way can it be used to include all unsaved people.

The passage used as the "proof texts" to validate the phrase is Pro 6:16-19. The phrase hinges on one word, a word not found in any original Greek text. That word is "things." In early English translations, you will find specific words in italics. This means that the words in italics are words added by translators to bring clarity to a verse. While this is mostly very helpful, it is not always correct. In this case, the word "things" changes Scripture by taking away and adding to God's Word.
The original Hebrew Scripture reads, "These six does the LORD hate, yea seven are an abomination." The KJV translators did not like what verses 17-19 taught, so they decided they needed to change the meaning. The originally written verses clearly teach that sins alone are not what God hates. By inserting the word "things," they changed the context to mean "these sins are what God hates."
Let's examine the verses. Keep in mind the Jewish people expressed themselves differently than people in the Western culture. Their choice of words is a symbolic way to describe a concrete thought. We tend to say things directly, but the Jewish people communicated with inference. If we let our dog go outside in the rain and come back in, we would say, "The dog is wet. The Jews might say, "The dog appeared as if it came out of a pond." Both come to the same conclusion but are expressed in different ways. Different cultures express themselves in different ways.

Pro 6:17 "A proud look." God does hate pride in any person (Pro 8:13). Does this verse teach that God hates a specific physical expression? Who has a proud look? Only someone arrogant. Humble people don't walk around with a "proud look." James 4:6 ...God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. No mention of "God hates the sin of a proud look." Neither does it say that "God hates the sin of a proud look but loves those who have a proud look."

Pro 6:17 "A lying tongue." Does this mean that God hates the physical organ known as the tongue? A tongue that tells lies? Tongues don't speak. Tongues enable people to speak. Tongues are used to speak lies. People tell lies. Liars have a "lying tongue." This is a Jewish way of saying God hates liars. This does not refer to people who tell occasional lies, lie to protect one, or not hurt another. These are ungodly people who live a life of lying, who lie to deny guilt, lie to cause harm to another or lie to start trouble. This is why there is no commandment, "Thou shalt not lie." Because in the world of man, there are times when it is necessary to lie to protect others. The midwives in Exodus and Rahab are two examples. Judges 3:12-30, 4:16-23, 1Sam 19:9-18. None of these people were condemned by God or accused of doing wrong for lying. No mention of "God hates the sin of a lying tongue but loves those who have a lying tongue."

Pro 6:17 "Hands that shed innocent blood." Again, is this verse teach that God hates the "physical hands" of those who shed innocent blood?" Or is He talking about those who use their hands to shed innocent blood, murderers?

Pro 6:18 An heart (mind) that not simply devises wicked plans but puts the plans into action. Feet that are quick to run to get involved with evil acts. All of the verses up till now show how attitude, thoughts, and the different parts of the body are all used to sin. In Mat 5:29-30, Jesus taught don't use our body parts to sin. Once again, no mention that God hates the sins of those who use their mind to devise wicked plans or their feet to run to evil but loves them. In this passage, the word "sin" or "sins" is never used. There is no mention that God loves these people.

Pro 6:19 Now the focus switches from aspects of the body to actual people, a false witness and one that sows discord among brothers! These aren't "things," and these aren't only sins! These are the people that commit these sins! You can't get around this fact! Unless you don't like or believe what Scripture says. There is a big difference between saying you disagree with or don't like what Scripture says and denying what Scripture says. These verses are in all translations.

The KJV has influenced many other English translations. While the KJV versions and the NKJV still print "things" in italics, many different versions print "things" in regular type, leading people to believe that the word "things" is part of the original text. I find that very dishonest, don't you? In conclusion, no Scripture teaching proclaims, "God hates the sin, but loves the sinner."

Amen - Amen - Amen

• Friendly
Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Does "sinner" mean fallen human nature?

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. . .If we claim to have not sinned, we make God out to be a liar, and his word has no place in our hearts." (1 John 1:8-10)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeterJennen

Sep 25, 2022
Great White North
✟17,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Many times, after praying for understanding on particular verses, I’ll omit the italicized words as I reread the text. Often this helps clarify understandings.

• Useful
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yet He so loved the world in this manner: He sent His Son.
  • KJV John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
  • NET John 3:16 For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
There are certainly tensions in Scripture to be cleared up. Many because of translations. Thanks for posting this one.

• Winner
Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does "sinner" mean fallen human nature?
Partly. Sometimes or more plainly just "human". As the only man who never sinned is Jesus. Humans are sinners. It is human nature to be a sinner, to sin, to deserve judgment upon resurrection.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Premiere NT Scholar DA Carson Tackles that question:

Does God Love the Sinner but Hate the Sin?

Christians so often use the phrase “Love the sinner, hate the sin” that you would think it comes straight from Scripture. But is it true of God? Should it be true of us?

My guest on this podcast is Don Carson, research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and president of The Gospel Coalition. He joins me to examine this familiar statement and whether or not it is true and helpful. We talked about what we should make of Bible passages like Psalm 5:5 that speak of God hating the wicked.

Is God’s love for us unconditional? Does God love both the elect and the unelect in the same way? Listen as Carson sheds biblical light on these tough questions. Thank you to Betsy Childs Howard for her assistance in preparing this podcast.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm guessing that at least some of these articles deal with our IDENTITY in Christ, as opposed to our deeds in the flesh.

If you tell yourself every day that you are a duck, eventually you will quack. - LOL

2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.[a] The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is just another example of how the E.C. world keeps moving away from Scripture and replacing Scripture truth with the "Traditions of Men."
Since when is "God hates the sin but loves the sinner." a biblical truth? Sounds more an Evangelical tradition of men.

If that is true, how could God EVER love us?

How could God love a sinner if he hates sin?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,941.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since when is "God hates the sin but loves the sinner." a biblical truth? Sounds more an Evangelical tradition of men.

But if God didn't love sinners why did Christ lay down his life for them, Romans 5:8?
As Paul says, someone would not die for a good man, though for a righteous man someone might dare to die. But God has shown his love in this; while we were sinners, Christ died for us.
I'm not sure that Jesus would endure that agony and lay down his spotless life if he knew that his Father hated sinners.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But if God didn't love sinners why did Christ lay down his life for them, Romans 5:8?
As Paul says, someone would not die for a good man, though for a righteous man someone might dare to die. But God has shown his love in this; while we were sinners, Christ died for us.
I'm not sure that Jesus would endure that agony and lay down his spotless life if he knew that his Father hated sinners.
I agree.
What about the other side of that coin? Does God hate sin?

Saint Steven said:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,941.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would imagine in the same way that a parent can love a child but disapprove of their lifestyle/actions. Or that a person can love their partner but hate their alcoholism/the way they treat them, and recognises that they aren't good together.
God IS love. If we can love like that, it's because God made us in his image and gave us the ability to love.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0