• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TV shows

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Tom Farebrother, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,657
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    I really like the series of books the HBO series Game of Thrones is based on. Started watching the show - what’s with all the sex? The books aren’t so explicit, at least not very often, so you can skip over it. Is this a trend in TV currently? I don’t watch a lot of TV. I know some Christians who don’t have a TV in their home just for this reason. Interested in what people think about this

2. HereIStand

HereIStand Regular Member Supporter

+1,622
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I have HBO but have never watched Game of Thrones. I've heard there is bit of nudity. West World is the same way. I did watch one episode of it. It's a shame. The sci-fi concept of the show is good. It doesn't need that many distractions.

3. eleos1954

eleos1954 Member Supporter

+108
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Is almost impossible to watch TV anymore ... even the "news" is disgusting. I watch things that are historical, nature, or American Pickers, or Pawn Stars .... beyond that .... I spend a lot of time in Gods Word and research and learn about related things, history and historical documents, cultures, archeology, other denominations, other beliefs, theologies so I have a better understanding of others beliefs. There is a wealth of information out there to keep one busy for a life-time and besides that I find these things very interesting.

God Bless.

4. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+1,366
    Seeker
    Single
    Such a shame about some sex interrupting the nonstop violence I tuned in for!

5. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+658
    Christian
    Married
    Game of Thrones (the television series) utilized a fair amount of sex to build an audience, I guess. It could be embarrasing to watch with my wife.

I don't think that George R R Martin is a christian, ... and that he believes that the show should reflect real life, rather than what we think it should be.

However, now that the series has established itself and the plot is pretty clear, the amount of gratuitous sex has been greatly decreased.

6. Tom Farebrother

+2,657
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Haha ok. I kind of liked the plot and character development, in the books that is.

7. Tom Farebrother

+2,657
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks I might try the later seasons. I wasn’t making a comment on the books as such, just that I was surprised, having read the books, that there were so many full on sex scenes. What I was interested in also in posting this are the thoughts of people who don’t have a TV, I know some Christians who don’t have a TV, in the spirit of Matt 5:29