South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay. I just made a post on another thread about the small screen. There are some great shows on in the past and nowadays. However, there are shows which I think need better writing or need to be canceled in my opinion? Which shows do you find overrated or just bad? What shows need to just end or have been on the air too long?

For me it is Young and the Restless. I don't watch much television and I like the fact that it has been on the air since 1973. CBS and Sony made a wise move to keep the soap on the air. However, even with all of the good actors, I can afford to miss an episode or two.

The writing at times needs work plus they have churned out more uninteresting characters than ever before. It can get better, but these last few years have not been kind to the show. Soap ratings have fallen dramatically in the last two decades or so and have never really recovered. Part of it is because of a whole lot of revisionist history, focus on one character or family, or the fact that never in the history of soaps have I found characters, situations, and recasts so dull and so cringe worthy. I often watch public television because basically I find some things about the soaps dull and cringe worthy.

On a sidenote, maybe I shouldn't even watch soaps. However, as a believer I find most daytime soaps to be somewhat milder than say "Mistresses" and "Game of Thrones". They rarely if ever curse for one thing, but they have much of the same situations.

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I watched a rerun of Two & a Half Men the other day. I was totally baffled as to why the show is popular. It's awful. It's not funny. The actors aren't that great. It has a laugh track, which is the worst. I've watched a lot of shows that are really popular with my grandparents bc they like them but I don't get the appeal. NCIS, CSI, Chicago Blues or something like that. They're all so predictable. I thought Lost was terrible too but I just watched the last season & I was young then. I've never seen a soap opera in my life so Idk about them. I don't like Gray's Anatomy either bc it's boring.

I like Game of Thrones a lot but I've never heard of the other show, Mistresses. Idk that I'd like it just by the name. I like GOT bc I like the books a lot. I like the fantasy genre. Shows that are set IRL settings where people are awful to each other get to me way more than ones that are totally fictional.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to love watching Grey's Anatomy. I haven't watched them over the last several seasons. I have read up on what has been going on, but nowadays, it is just too boring to watch. Personally, I think Scandal is boring. I'm sure it is good to many, but I just don't see the appeal.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I've watched Scandal a few times but not enough to really piece the story together. I didn't like it all that much either. I like fantasy shows more. Shows that are about people's jobs usually bore me, lol. My mom said Gray's Anatomy was good when it was new.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the shows today are overrated. Especially comdey shows. Here are some (well some old ones too).

Game of Thrones
Stranger THings
Westworld
House Of Cards
Seinfeld
Breaking Bad
Sopranos
Rick and Morty
The Office
Mad Men
Modern Family
Grays Anatomy
NCIS/CSI (the newer versions)
Supergirl
Saturday Night Live (the recent years are so terrible

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm amazed at how long 2 Broke Girls has been on the air; the acting and writing are just terrible. I think it's one of the worst shows I have ever seen.
I tried to watch it once, I lasted about 5 minutes. I found it awful and I'm baffled by it's popularity. But hey, that's what off switches are for. If some people genuinely enjoy it, good for them.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A
Teen Titans Go!

It fails as both a successor and a standalone.

And worst of all, it's full of annoying strawmen that deliberately insult all its critics.
Aww, this one has grown on me. My daughter loves it, and I initially hated it, but it actually has some really clever, subtle humour. It's still obviously a kid's show, and I wouldn't sit down for a weekend marathon of it, but honestly it's grown on me, and I think it's one of the better offerings in the genre at present. Ditto Gravity Falls.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums