• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

TV shows and Comedians who make fun of Christ, Christians, and religion in general.

Discussion in 'The Junk Drawer' started by mathinspiration, Mar 14, 2019.

1. mathinspiration

mathinspiration Member

+64
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    There are a lot of tv shows and comedians who make fun of religious people, and their beliefs, but mainly Christians and Christ . Should there be shows, or Christian comedians who make fun of atheists/ agnostics and their beliefs as they do with religious people and their beliefs , not just Christianity?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+773
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    I'm an equal opportunity comic. I make fun of anything and everything. I think good comedians should follow suit.

3. TuxAme

TuxAme Quis ut Deus? Supporter

+2,670
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Turnabout may be fair play, but it is not Godly.

4. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member

+877
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    This seems to be the norm to mock Christianity on TV these days. They wouldn't dare mock Islam or any others like they do Christians.

5. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Ship of Fools Supporter

+7,392
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    There was a sitcom years ago around 2006 called The Book of Daniel that was about an Episcopal priest who was a drug addict and had a gay son. I didn't object to that, but many Christians did. What I really didn't care for was was the fact that the writer, who happened to be an ex-Catholic gay man, had a shallow appreciation of Episcopalianism. It just seemed very lazy and full of cliches that pop culture has about the religion. If the show had been about any other religion, other than a prominent but small historic Christian church, it would have been criticized for promoting negative stereotypes. Most Episcopalians in the show are portrayed as being shallow, moralistic, vain, and cynical. This has not been my experience of Episcopalians in real life.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Active Member

+168
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    Actually, I'm fairly cool with shows that poke fun at Christians and Christianity. We should be able to chuckle at ourselves. On the other hand, I disdain shows that ridicule Christ. Imho, they are utterly vile.

7. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+3,807
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Agreed. If they truly believed that Christians were dangerous terrorists, they wouldn't dare provoke us.

If they truly believed Islam was a "religion of peace", they wouldn't care about provoking them.

Then again, looking to celebrities and entertainers to be examples of moral courage is probably a lost cause anyway.

8. StrivingFollower

StrivingFollower Member

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I'm not sure if there's any type of person held tighter to their stereotype in the minds of the masses than the Christian. And then when you talk about something like this, they act like it's impossible that Christians get discriminated against. As if we never left the 1940s. I didn't become a Christian until two years ago thanks to this. And now I'm a very passionate and strict-living Christian. But I had no idea how many wise people were involved in the faith.

The humility and self-sacrifice of our faith is truly very offensive to the flesh. And the fact that Jesus is the light that illuminates all sin. The Bible doesn't lie.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  9. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+773
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    This is essentially my stance as well.

10. childeye 2

childeye 2 Active Member

+208
    United States
    Christian
    Married

I find it sad that Christianity has been so misunderstood, but it is understandable since I think it's safe to say that Christianity has also been greatly misrepresented by so many professing to be following the Christ.