TV shows and Comedians who make fun of Christ, Christians, and religion in general.

mathinspiration

Nov 15, 2013
✟30,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
There are a lot of tv shows and comedians who make fun of religious people, and their beliefs, but mainly Christians and Christ . Should there be shows, or Christian comedians who make fun of atheists/ agnostics and their beliefs as they do with religious people and their beliefs , not just Christianity?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There was a sitcom years ago around 2006 called The Book of Daniel that was about an Episcopal priest who was a drug addict and had a gay son. I didn't object to that, but many Christians did. What I really didn't care for was was the fact that the writer, who happened to be an ex-Catholic gay man, had a shallow appreciation of Episcopalianism. It just seemed very lazy and full of cliches that pop culture has about the religion. If the show had been about any other religion, other than a prominent but small historic Christian church, it would have been criticized for promoting negative stereotypes. Most Episcopalians in the show are portrayed as being shallow, moralistic, vain, and cynical. This has not been my experience of Episcopalians in real life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There are a lot of tv shows and comedians who make fun of religious people, and their beliefs, but mainly Christians and Christ . Should there be shows, or Christian comedians who make fun of atheists/ agnostics and their beliefs as they do with religious people and their beliefs , not just Christianity?

Actually, I'm fairly cool with shows that poke fun at Christians and Christianity. We should be able to chuckle at ourselves. On the other hand, I disdain shows that ridicule Christ. Imho, they are utterly vile.

• Agree
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This seems to be the norm to mock Christianity on TV these days. They wouldn't dare mock Islam or any others like they do Christians.
Agreed. If they truly believed that Christians were dangerous terrorists, they wouldn't dare provoke us.

If they truly believed Islam was a "religion of peace", they wouldn't care about provoking them.

Then again, looking to celebrities and entertainers to be examples of moral courage is probably a lost cause anyway.

Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if there's any type of person held tighter to their stereotype in the minds of the masses than the Christian. And then when you talk about something like this, they act like it's impossible that Christians get discriminated against. As if we never left the 1940s. I didn't become a Christian until two years ago thanks to this. And now I'm a very passionate and strict-living Christian. But I had no idea how many wise people were involved in the faith.

The humility and self-sacrifice of our faith is truly very offensive to the flesh. And the fact that Jesus is the light that illuminates all sin. The Bible doesn't lie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Actually, I'm fairly cool with shows that poke fun at Christians and Christianity. We should be able to chuckle at ourselves. On the other hand, I disdain shows that ridicule Christ. Imho, they are utterly vile.

This is essentially my stance as well.

Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I find it sad that Christianity has been so misunderstood, but it is understandable since I think it's safe to say that Christianity has also been greatly misrepresented by so many professing to be following the Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums