TV show talk show about Religion!

I'M SCARED, but I think I know what might cause a gigantic turning away from the Christian faith! A TV talk show about Religion, where people come on the air and debate their religion!

There's probably nothing to fear if buddhists and muslims debate it out with Christians, but what if Atheists get on their and debate it out vs. Christians??

I for one think there's no possible way that you can debate Christianity vs. an Expert Atheist and win on all counts. No way possible.

I know this is just the sort of thing American's who are skeptical about religion are just waiting to see! What will happen to the American mindset when time after time, Christian goes on to debate vs. an Atheist and in the end, Atheist appears to have upper hand? What will happen to the mindset of American people? Of fellow believers?

Unbelievable! But could it be true? I'm sure there'll be those hot-headed Christians out there who feel they'll be able to win in any debate!

If this sort of thing does come through, Christians should keep in mind what it says in

Romans 1:28-30 : 28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, <i>debate</i>, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30. Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32. Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, <i>but have pleasure in them that do them</i>.

and in Titus 3:9. But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

but should keep in mind that the people who doubt that God lives are filled with wickedness, sin and hate.

as it says in 1 Peter 2:15. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men

and it says about their hearts in Romans 1: 21. Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

and in 22 it says "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools"

I think Christians shouldn't look as fools! This is a good warning to get out. If Hollywood were to get a funny idea to create a television show where people would come and openly debate their religion, this could have dire consequences on America, and perhaps, a nationwide turning away!

The bible says that all people who debate like this are fools.

There is great and strong evil that is coming soon... That being, Satan is the power of the air (Eph, 2:2), and he is the king of this world. And being that this is the Age of the Gentiles. All may be calm now, but I think there's a major evil power lurking in the background of America... As it warns in 2 Cor. 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices. Do not be ignorant of Satan's devices, or his disguises. He fools people by making them think they are intelligent with the wealth of knowledge they have accumulated since Christ's ascension.

I believe the worst is yet to come still!

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by C,m,m

There's probably nothing to fear if buddhists and muslims debate it out with Christians, but what if Atheists get on their and debate it out vs. Christians??

Then we'll have to work on our debating strategies.

Seriously, it comes down to points you can't really lose. What evidence? Personal experience. Why isn't there external evidence? Because there doesn't need to be, and it would be a barrier to real faith.

Come on, think for a moment; what could possibly be evidence that God *doesn't* exist? It doesn't even make sense.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But what about issues of manuscript translation? What about the evidence that supports existence of dinosaurs?

What about dinosaurs? I think I'm Christian (the book says that if I accept that Jesus died for my sins, I'm saved, and that this makes me Christian), but I certainly have no problems with dinosaurs.

I happen to believe that God created the world in a complicated way which reveals His glory to us gradually, as we gain the ability to understand it. So what if there were dinosaurs? They make cool museum exhibits, and I can stare in amazement at the sheer size of their bones.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Mandy
I agree seebs.

Also many believe that the behemoth and the leviathan, spoken of in the book of Job, were actually dinosaurs.

They could be; I can't tell. I always thought they were elephants and whales, but I'm a couple thousand years too young to know what people were writing about in detail. :)

It would seem weird for me for God to say "behold this ..." when Job couldn't, of course, behold it. On the other hand, God has surprised me many times.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with lambslove, as scarey as it can be sometimes, we cannot be afraid of difficult biblical questions or issues. There are a lot of great Christian apologists that have no problem handling questions concerning dinosaurs and manuscript difficulties. One can only hope that the producer of the show would be balanced enough to find excellent Christian scholars to participate. Problems could arise if the creators of the show are setting up Christians to fail by assembling an unbalanced group of debators.

But the core of Christianity cannot be proven by external means: it's a matter of faith.

C,m,m, do you know of a TV program like this in the works, or are you just talking about the possibility?

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Acts6:5
I agree with lambslove, as scarey as it can be sometimes, we cannot be afraid of difficult biblical questions or issues. There are a lot of great Christian apologists that have no problem handling questions concerning dinosaurs and manuscript difficulties. One can only hope that the producer of the show would be balanced enough to find excellent Christian scholars to participate. Problems could arise if the creators of the show are setting up Christians to fail by assembling an unbalanced group of debators.

I suspect, given modern demographics, that the goal would be to have some members of each group "fail", and others "succeed"; this is how you maximize market share.

I have certainly met people who argued Christian theology, whom I think would make a very poor showing. It's a crying shame they can't have C. S. Lewis for something like this. He was a great man.

I see the point about concerns about manuscript translations; there are lots of things lots of people believe that are subject to debate and translations. However, I don't think anyone has ever proposed a translation of John 3:16 that doesn't keep the promise intact. What else do we need?

Upvote 0
It would be an interesting show... it would depend how they set it up, if their was an inate slant, etc.

I'm in the process of detailing my 'coming to Christ' how I went from deist to Christian. The historical evidence I looked at, the Bible study I did. Because someone asked me how I could have "blind faith." I'm hoping this manifesto will show that faith isn't something I went into blindly, but rather with my eyes wide open.

So often believers get catagorized as ingnorant or lacking knowledge, but I think that's incorrect. For me increased knowledge led me to God and Jesus as opposed to away. It was my ignorance of the Bible and other religions that made me a deist in the first place.

So, despite the fact that I went totally off tangent. The show could be good if done in an impartial manner.

Upvote 0
I have actually rounded some good reasons why Atheists don't believe.

I have no way to prove this, I know and neither do they. They seem hooked on the notion though that they can't trust the translator's of hundred's of years ago's hands to produce a good translation (which is the translation we have now, and I still think that even if it were worded any other way, they'd still say that the translation is messed up). Another thing they seem to get hooked on is the timing. They say that the letters of Paul and the four Gospels are all flawed because they were written 90 years after Jesus' death. I suppose that is a problem, especially if the apostles no longer are alive at the time.

Another problem is that hardcore atheists say that the flood never happened and there was never any historical account of what took place in egypt, when Moses brought his people out with help of miracles.

Some say that the story is silly, like faerytales, and others say there's no hardcore evidence to prove that God's existence is true.

I for one, believe in the bible totally. I think Jew is good evidence, and Israel is good evidence that God's existence is true. It can't get anymore hardcore than that.

In response to Acts 6:5, No, I don't know if the show is in production or if there already is one somewhere. Problem is that its possibly in the works. I weigh this on the fact that there seems to be more debate these days more than ever. What I fear is that if this show is truly in the works, there'll be major celebrities coming on the TV to do the debating, and not scholars, or worse yet, it'll be set up like a Jerry Springer show where just anyone can be part of it. I feel that its necessary to warn people of the possibility that such a show could be coming.

Just imagine if such a show were to come around : Religion would be the hottest topic on the block. You wouldn't be able to go school, or work without expecting confrontation from a fellow worker about beliefs. If this were the case, then all religion would become a faux, as people would be making up beliefs as if they were a fashion. People would not know who the true God is and would instead, worship whatever made them feel good. Such a show would be used to promote beliefs, not just the big one's, but miniature and personal ones. People wouldn't be siding with what they feel in their heart, but what virtues they know in their mind. So to speak, a Person at home might watch the show and a buddhist could come on the air and tell everyone that he is peaceful and loving and lives a simple life. The person at home might find that to his liking and take it on.

Unfortunately, with the way Christianity is set up with tons and tons of denominations as it has, I fear that its gotten so confusing that no one knows what to believe. Unfortunately, a simple person may believe in a secular occult religion rather than Christianity because its more straight forward and there's less people telling you what's right and what's not. Not only that, but Christianity is surrounded by controversy on all fronts. A typical peaceful person may find it too extreme or the controversy too much for his liking.

What if when you go to work, the people who you know don't believe in God single you out and start questioning your faith? I could imagine that non-believers would be ganging up on believers, causing them to lose their jobs, or friends, to make them feel unwelcome and ultimately, lose their jobs and ruin their lives. I could imagine how such a show could bring about a turning away. Your non-believer friends who you used to be able to talk friendly to suddenly regards you in suspicion, as if you're trying to convert him. Non-believers may begin to regard Christians differently, become jealous and what not. They may begin to think that Christians are better than they are simply because they are Christians. They may think that Christianity is just a faux, and not the real thing.

This would truly be the worst deceiving show in the world, but I do feel that this show is the next big thing that will happen. Suddenly faiths around the world will be tested, as Peter's was when he was questioned about Christ three times and all times he denied them.

I see that there is more going on about peace and love then there is about religion. People are finding ways to build bridges for peace and love and cutting God out of the picture.

I think this particular situation could very well be what brings about a great turning away.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if when you go to work, the people who you know don't believe in God single you out and start questioning your faith? I could imagine that non-believers would be ganging up on believers, causing them to lose their jobs, or friends, to make them feel unwelcome and ultimately, lose their jobs and ruin their lives.

Given that believers have done just that to non-believers in the past, while I think it's a horrible thing, I can't say it's entirely *unfair*... But I agree, this shouldn't happen. I also think it won't, as long as we (the believers) are polite and honest.

The biggest threat to religion, I think, comes from false religions, not from non-believers. When I was in college, we got occasional people through who would stand around the campus "preaching". These people would spend hours talking about how everyone they could think of would go to hell, and had to stop sinning or be hated by God. Those people turned more people away from Christ than all the atheists I've ever met; indeed, they were the ones who turned me away from Christianity, and it was the really bigoted atheists who convinced me (through their bad example) to think about it again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Well as it says in the bible, 1 Cor. 14:1-7 should be considered for our lives.

Debating is foolishness, as Paul said in various places of the New Testament. (Look back to my first post for some examples)

And we must always remember in Gal. 6:7 "You reap what you sow"

In 1 Tim 4:1 "Now the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from what we believe; they will follow lying and spirits and teachings that come from demons."

in 7, it says "Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas and wives tales..."

Upvote 0
I nominate Jerry Springer as host for show. :)

If you think that such a show could ever air and have a fair representative of the Christain faith appear you'd be nuts. The show would probably go something like this, on one side you have 3 scientists with doctorate degrees defending atheism, and defending christianity you have a pedophile priest with a speech impediment sweating and counting rosary beads, and an illiterate spanish couple who saw an image of the virgin mary appear in the lint trap of their dryer.

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The show would probably go something like this, on one side you have 3 scientists with doctorate degrees defending atheism, and defending christianity you have a pedophile priest with a speech impediment sweating and counting rosary beads, and an illiterate spanish couple who saw an image of the virgin mary appear in the lint trap of their dryer.

LOL...

Seriously, I agree... this is how our media likes to portray Christians. If they do get a well versed apoletigist(sp?) the doc would have their work cut out for them.

Maybe this will open the eyes of the fence sitting Christians out there. Maybe it will show them that it is time time to stand up and be heard a little louder than those self-professed reverends (like Jesse Jackson). (Not that he would even dare square off with people who are actually educated):)

People like him and the others who re-write the Bible are a discredit to all Christians, yet they get more air-time because they are easy to criticize.

Beside all that, I don't think the show will make it for very long because the topics will get too profound, and Lord knows, the US mean attention span is close to that of a cow reading War and Peace. Come on you fence sitters... edumacate yourselves :D

in Christ

Zach

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
in (tim 4) 7, it says "Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas and wives tales..."

If you read carefully, he (Paul) is talking about arguing among believers. By all means, defend your beliefs to non-Christians!

It is what we have been called to do.

Upvote 0