Canada
✟21,757.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know scripture says we are to turn the other cheek when wronged but how many times are we to turn it when being abused/wrong by the same person over and over taking pleasure in it making your life difficult? Will God actually do anything about it? Or am I just to accept this abuse for as long as the perpertrator decides to keep it up?

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you’re dealing with an abuser or narcissistic people, turning the other cheek is going to get you further abuse. A normal person might feel ashamed and stop. So it depends on what you’re dealing with. It is better to stop the abuse and that should be the bottom line . If you have to leave then leave , if the person wants a fight , fight them off until you can leave safely(fighting includes preventing financial ,emotional ,verbal ,physical or other abuse . Above all do not listen to people who tell you that you have to tolerate abuse because of ....reasons.

Upvote 0

DeeDee79

Jul 19, 2017
Canada
✟21,757.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you’re dealing with an abuser or narcissistic people, turning the other cheek is going to get you further abuse. A normal person might feel ashamed and stop. So it depends on what you’re dealing with. It is better to stop the abuse and that should be the bottom line . If you have to leave then leave , if the person wants a fight , fight them off until you can leave safely(fighting includes preventing financial ,emotional ,verbal ,physical or other abuse . Above all do not listen to people who tell you that you have to tolerate abuse because of ....reasons.

It's abuse over the internet. We have gone to the police but because the perp is tech savvy he is able to disguise himself so nothing can be traced to him. God is really the only one who can do anything about this but will he...?

Upvote 0

DeeDee79

Jul 19, 2017
Canada
✟21,757.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh You can’t block him. Yeah get the police involved . Try not to read his crap as he’s trying to get into your head .
Its not as simple as that. It was something private that this person is putting out there for everyone.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
F25E7997-D9FD-4617-9BB0-AC7B5F69CA54.jpeg
You can deal with as a 9 days wonder. 9 days later most people won’t care about the info. This a... is trying to get to you . Don’t let him ! Look at trump and the way he pathologically lies. A lot of people don’t care that he lies the way he does! I hate using him as an example to follow because he’s toxic but I hope you get my drift. He just ignores people who call him on his lies or he attacks them with more lies . I’d go for the ignore rather than attacking with lies .

Upvote 0

DeeDee79

Jul 19, 2017
Canada
✟21,757.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because of all Obama's lies, you should ignore the person.

I used Obama as an example because of his many lies, and no one cares. :ebil:

They aren't lies. It was something that was meant to be shared privately that this individual took and made it public as a joke.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just Im trying to say that you might need to be a little thick skinned about other people if they harass or tease you about it. As the police say they can’t help you . In some states this could be a crime though. . Trump actually was a poor example as he’s not shrugging it off well other than lying about it.

Upvote 0

Shahab

Jun 26, 2019
Isfahan
✟15,394.00
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know scripture says we are to turn the other cheek when wronged but how many times are we to turn it when being abused/wrong by the same person over and over taking pleasure in it making your life difficult? Will God actually do anything about it? Or am I just to accept this abuse for as long as the perpertrator decides to keep it up?

No, it means take the complete abuse before doing something about it. It means wait and see, maybe it was your fault. Maybe you're the bad one. When you turn the other cheek and you let them abuse you longer, sometimes you will see that it was your fault but other times you realize it was not. And they were the bad ones. Then you can be SURE whether you're dealing with a bad person who hurts you on purpose or a good person who is hurting you but doesn't mean to. That's the whole point of that. Once you're sure then you just simply get away from bad people or figure out what's wrong and fix your relationship with the good ones.

Did this make sense to you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately it's a judgement call. First, retaliating often creates a cycle of retribution. Second, it is possible to reconcile people. There are lots of times when turning the other cheek makes sense. But I don't think you should accept serious damage if there are good alternatives. Personal retaliation, however, is not a good replacement for a police system. Retaliation tends to lead to feuds. The point of police, church discipline, etc., is to provide a neutral, non-retaliational approach.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Many people incorrectly generalize the concept of turning the other check WHEN SLAPPED into enduring all wrongs or even pacifism. It only applies to being insulted.

For clarity on this, look how Muslims react when insulted... Riots, murder, etc. This is not Jesus' way. You can rest assured, however, that if your or your family's life is threatened - or that of an innocent - that the Savior that told his disciples to buy swords expects them to use them.

Upvote 0