Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is sort of a continuation of my Special Thread: Why I am a Traditional Catholic thread. I mentioned how, I started asking Jesus and His Beloved Mother to turn my anger into sorrows, reminding me how, it is not I, whom the modernists are offending, but Our Lord. And how, at mass this morning the prayers and meditations were so effective, that I started choking up at mass. Well I want to discuss this a bit now, because I think I might actually be at a turning point in my spiritual life now, and I want to see what you all think.

For awhile, I've been really struggling with anger towards modernists, how smug and arrogant they are; how they sneer at the authentic Traditions of the Catholic Faith and look down on those who practice it; how they promote immoralities that ruin billions of lives. I most especially hate, they try to kill billions of souls dragging them away from God who is Truth Himself, which they reject as tyrannical. But it's not me they are attacking, it's God and His Mystical Body, the Catholic Church, it's He should and is greatly offended by their actions, it's all about Him, not me. I think I've been acting sort of like a human shield for Christ, standing up and saying: "No, no, Lord! Let me get offended for you," and thus getting mad a depressed in the process. Needless to say, this is not my job, I do Our Lord no favour, by doing this He gets offended anyways and now has to deal with an angry me in the process. So now I'm standing down and contemplating what's really happening, how Our Lord is so deeply hurt by the modernists, and the constant shouting of "no" in His face, and it's big effect on me.

During the Divine Mercy hour, as I said my prayers, I opened myself up to the reality of how Our Lord is offended my the modernists, and the effect was amazing, I was really getting choked-up about it. By the time I got to the Seven Sorrows rosary, I was exhausted, but I really feel like I'm on the right track, that this is a huge step forward. Still, I would like to hear your opinions on this practice, is this improvement? Am I doing this right? Do you have any other comments on this?

Hail Mary, full of sorrows, the Crucified is with thee. Tearful art thou among women
and tearful is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of the Crucified, pray for us, crucifiers of thy Son, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is a modernist?
This is sort of a continuation of my Special Thread: Why I am a Traditional Catholic thread. I mentioned how, I started asking Jesus and His Beloved Mother to turn my anger into sorrows, reminding me how, it is not I, whom the modernists are offending, but Our Lord. And how, at mass this morning the prayers and meditations were so effective, that I started choking up at mass. Well I want to discuss this a bit now, because I think I might actually be at a turning point in my spiritual life now, and I want to see what you all think.

For awhile, I've been really struggling with anger towards modernists, how smug and arrogant they are; how they sneer at the authentic Traditions of the Catholic Faith and look down on those who practice it; how they promote immoralities that ruin billions of lives. I most especially hate, they try to kill billions of souls dragging them away from God who is Truth Himself, which they reject as tyrannical. But it's not me they are attacking, it's God and His Mystical Body, the Catholic Church, it's He should and is greatly offended by their actions, it's all about Him, not me. I think I've been acting sort of like a human shield for Christ, standing up and saying: "No, no, Lord! Let me get offended for you," and thus getting mad a depressed in the process. Needless to say, this is not my job, I do Our Lord no favour, by doing this He gets offended anyways and now has to deal with an angry me in the process. So now I'm standing down and contemplating what's really happening, how Our Lord is so deeply hurt by the modernists, and the constant shouting of "no" in His face, and it's big effect on me.

During the Divine Mercy hour, as I said my prayers, I opened myself up to the reality of how Our Lord is offended my the modernists, and the effect was amazing, I was really getting choked-up about it. By the time I got to the Seven Sorrows rosary, I was exhausted, but I really feel like I'm on the right track, that this is a huge step forward. Still, I would like to hear your opinions on this practice, is this improvement? Am I doing this right? Do you have any other comments on this?

Hail Mary, full of sorrows, the Crucified is with thee. Tearful art thou among women
Holy Mary, Mother of the Crucified, pray for us, crucifiers of thy Son, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What is a modernist?
Modernism, I use the term somewhat loosely, but modernism is basically the belief that no one can develop a rational understanding of God. But rather, the Catholic Church should be centered around fostering the religious emotions of the people, and promoting good social behavior.

Fr. Smith touches on a bit in his Vatican II series, albeit, I'm not sure if you'll have the time to watch them: Fr. Smith's Vatican 2 Series | Christian Forums

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks! I'll check the video out when I'm in town. So I assume less focus on working within the teachings and disciplines of the Church and more of a feel good type of thing? Pushing the boundaries of what it means or requires to be Catholic?
Modernism, I use the term somewhat loosely, but modernism is basically the belief that no one can develop a rational understanding of God. But rather, the Catholic Church should be centered around fostering the religious emotions of the people, and promoting good social behavior.

Fr. Smith touches on a bit in his Vatican II series, albeit, I'm not sure if you'll have the time to watch them: Fr. Smith's Vatican 2 Series | Christian Forums

• Prayers
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks! I'll check the video out when I'm in town. So I assume less focus on working within the teachings and disciplines of the Church and more of a feel good type of thing? Pushing the boundaries of what it means or requires to be Catholic?
Yeah, pretty much. In a strict sense Modernist have a strictly materialistic view of the world, no miracles, rejection of non-essential traditions etc. However today, a lot of modernists seem disillusioned with the original materialistic view, and now seek after new age-like spirituality, there is however, one thing that distinguishes these people from mere Cafeteria Catholics, and that's the belief that doctrines can evolve. That's because these people have an obsession with evolution and believe that everything is evolving. (Which means that there is something seriously wrong with the laws of physics, since they've stayed the same since, oh, the beginning of creation!)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. That new age stuff always reminds me of being aware anything can appear as an angel of light. We are to stick to the the original teachings of Jesus and the apostles. Scripture says as much. What really confuses me is this mix and match syndrome I have been seeing lately. Like someone calling themselves a Christian pagan, etc. the possibilities are endless.
Yeah, pretty much. In a strict sense Modernist have a strictly materialistic view of the world, no miracles, rejection of non-essential traditions etc. However today, a lot of modernists seem disillusioned with the original materialistic view, and now seek after new age-like spirituality, there is however, one thing that distinguishes these people from mere Cafeteria Catholics, and that's the belief that doctrines can evolve. That's because these people have an obsession with evolution and believe that everything is evolving. (Which means that there is something seriously wrong with the laws of physics, since they've stayed the same since, oh, the beginning of creation!)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This sounds a bit like my psychologist - I think he's a Catholic; he told me his wife is, for sure.

But if does sound horribly modern, new age, and worst of all to me- if they do not believe in understanding God, I presume they don't focus on growing closer to Him, nor believe in the power of prayer?

If you like, can you give me some examples of modernists? :)

What's interesting is that their version of the evolution of doctrines, or, "everything is evolving", though it may be inspired by science, is in and of itself vaguely new age. I can certainly imagine them as being smug folks who look down on old things.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd be interested in some examples. There are so many different labels anymore it is hard to keep up.
This sounds a bit like my psychologist - I think he's a Catholic; he told me his wife is, for sure.

But if does sound horribly modern, new age, and worst of all to me- if they do not believe in understanding God, I presume they don't focus on growing closer to Him, nor believe in the power of prayer?

What's interesting is that their version of the evolution of doctrines, or, "everything is evolving", though it may be inspired by science, is in and of itself vaguely new age. I can certainly imagine them as being smug folks who look down on old things.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Well, one particularly offensive example of modernism I can give, is something that was said at my RCIA class. During the last session of my RCIA class we were shown a video which basically stated, that Our Lord dying on the cross, wasn't a sacrifice for our sins, but rather an attack on the idea of sacrifice, and that believing that the Crucifixion was a sacrifice, was basically paganism!

Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd be interested in some examples. There are so many different labels anymore it is hard to keep up.

I don't actually know much of anything about modernism myself and had wanted to ask JLOL for examples. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good grief! Were there certain materials the class was using? If so, I'd be interested to know who put it out for RCIA...
Well, one particularly offensive example of modernism I can give, is something that was said at my RCIA class. During the last session of my RCIA class we were shown a video which basically stated, that Our Lord dying on the cross, wasn't a sacrifice for our sins, but rather an attack on the idea of sacrifice, and that believing that the Crucifixion was a sacrifice, was basically paganism!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ohh! I've seen this kind of thing - I think it rightly ought to fill one with a sense of indignation. May the Lord have mercy on them - He has seen what people have done sacrificing to pagan gods and demons.. to be comparing God to that is very foolish.

This sounds essentially like a new age-mixed heresy for sure; it isn't Christianity. Most likely the feelgood modern idea of love (which is especially new age) makes them view the Atonement with disgust.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good grief! Were there certain materials the class was using? If so, I'd be interested to know who put it out for RCIA...
The this particular , came from an online video, I forget where. It features Fr. Richard Rohr and the author of The Shack, have you heard of these two?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh yeah. I am not a fan of either one. Ugh!
The this particular , came from an online video, I forget where. It features Fr. Richard Rohr and the author of The Shack, have you heard of these two?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There seems to be a trend with some that want to make Jesus' passion meaningless as well as His miracles. I actually had my sister tell me that anyone could do what Jesus did if they simply followed certain new age principals. She has a really this hostility toward anything concerning Christianity anymore. But I have noticed that with a lot of New Agers. Which is odd because they are supposed to be so evolved and compassionate. Most are not at all. Then there are those that claim Christianity yet deconstruct it at every turn. I think I know what you mean by "modernist" now for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Michie - New Age beliefs indeed are generally set against Christianity, which is a trademark of them being of demons.

There's hope for your sister. Perhaps she is close minded, so I do not know - but do ask her if she knows of Randall Baer?

Here's a description of him:
"Randall Baer, a former naturopathic doctor, was an internationally known authority in the area of crystals, sacred sciences and spiritual teachings.

Formally a co-director of the Starcrest Academy of Interdimensional Law and Science in Northern New Mexico."

Before his untimely death, this guy who was a leading figure in the New Age movement wrote a book called, "Inside the New Age Madness.", which recounts all the strange, intense experiences he had as a New Ager, including subliminal tapes, healing crystals, trance channeling, everything really - all the way until his conversion. This guy may be able to, by his experiences, help your sister and pluck her out of the fire. :)

If you want links, I am able to provide them. I hope you'll look into it. :)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Amen.

You have found out what countless Saints before you have found out: that when you take unto yourself the offense that rightly belongs to Christ, two things happen:
1. in order to do so you must face the raging mob that scorns Him, which in turn means that you must turn your back on Christ Himself to be able to face the mob.

2. In turning your back on Christ, you miss seeing the love that He bears for every one of those people, and that He loves them just like He loves you.

So in short, don't turn away from Christ, but instead turn to Him and ask Him to show you His loving heart--the Sacred Heart of Jesus--and learn devotion there.

Upvote 0