• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Tulsa Pastor selling religious exemptions for vaccine.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by TLK Valentine, Sep 21, 2021.

1. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,348
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    You get three guesses and one of them may have to do with deceased American Presidents.

2. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,348
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    I would be cash only if I were selling them.

3. RestoreTheJoy

RestoreTheJoy Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
  4. RestoreTheJoy

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Somewhat, though indulgences were sold to get you into eternity, and to buy forgiveness. Much larger scale there.

5. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+9,985
    Agnostic
    Married
    True. It was the entire Catholic church profiting in that case.

6. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+27,405
    Agnostic
    Single
    Exactly... it's a scam on so many levels.

7. RestoreTheJoy

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It really does take advantage of the unknowledgeable. But so many businesses do that, doing for you what you can do yourself. It's fine if you know what you are buying, for example, when you are 75 and need help moving, well, it makes sense to hire a team of young, strong people. If you need a math tutor, hire someone better than you at math, or better yet, barter something you have.

But this is something you don't need anyone to sign. Only your signature matters. Crazy.

Sounds like he is really offering a form he created that anyone could create, and people are signing up to get on his list for his campaign activities. And that is a violation of the tax code that prohibits campaign activities in the non-profit status of a church.

8. TLK Valentine

+27,405
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well, he's not only a pastor; he's a political candidate -- using his "church" as a means to that end is hardly surprising.

One is left to wonder if it was ever intended to be anything else.

9. RestoreTheJoy

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I don't think one can presume negative intent, simply because he is a man of faith or started a church, or preaches at one. So what? There are people of faith in every single profession and trade and job.

But he is violating the tax code by mixing the two activities, out of ignorance or any other reason.

10. TLK Valentine

+27,405
    Agnostic
    Single
    It seems unlikely that he could conceivably be that ignorant -- so... sorry, I'm going to stay with my theory that it's a scam.

Since he's not in it for the money (he has no minimum contribution), he must have some other goal. He's gathering together supporters (read: voters) who are the perfect combination of like-minded and weak-minded.

11. Mayzoo

Mayzoo Well-Known Member

+1,123
    Christian
    Private
    $1.00 (I believe he said that was a minimum the form/site allowed) a piece times 30,000 form downloads so far is not a small amount of money for essentially doing nothing.

12. IceJad

IceJad Regular Member

+508
    Malaysia
    Lutheran
    Single
  13. RestoreTheJoy

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You are assuming unproven assertions, both on the part of the pastor and on the part of those who download his form.

But feel free.

14. MMXX

MMXX Well-Known Member

+3,048
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    What's to stop someone from asking any minister to sign such a form?

If you're going to do something dumb you should at least be smart about it.

15. RestoreTheJoy

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No signature is required for an exemption in most states. NY has some crazy laws though.

16. MMXX

MMXX Well-Known Member

+3,048
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But a signature on a bogus form makes it more official.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  17. TLK Valentine

+27,405
    Agnostic
    Single
    I'm using my brain -- which I will continue to do even without your blessing.

18. MMXX

MMXX Well-Known Member

+3,048
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Are you sure you don't want their signature on it?

19. RestoreTheJoy

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No, anyone can create a form that adheres to state requirements. The form isn't bogus (most likely - have not seen it and compared it with the state statute).

The only signature required is that of the party, or in the case of a minor, a parent.

20. RestoreTheJoy

+1,184
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You are drawing conclusions without evidence. That's fine, I guess, but not persuasive or substantive.