Tug-o-war will now be banned in schools.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
SOUTH EL MONTE, Calif. – Authorities in Southern California say a boy and a girl had fingers torn off during a game of tug-of-war at their high school.

Read more: 2 Los Angeles students lose fingers during lunchtime tug-of-war game | Fox News

First rule of Tug-o-War, never wrap or coil the rope around any part of your body. When you can't hold on, let go, the rope moves freely.
Wrap it, coil it, tie it, and you will get hurt.

Of course, with this, our schools will over react, and ban it.

cam44

Jan 2, 2013
Endor heading to Pandora
✟1,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You can seriously/permanently injure yourself doing so many things - even going up and down the stairs - or in any physical education class doing almost any sport ...

The thing is that ANY time tug-o-war is done, a teacher/adult supervisor should be present to explain that the rope cannot be wrapped around any fingers/hands/body parts, etc. ... its just that injuries are probably so rare with tug-o-war that education and supervision never seemed necessary - they are likely seen as 'freak accidents'.

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

Read more: 2 Los Angeles students lose fingers during lunchtime tug-of-war game | Fox News

First rule of Tug-o-War, never wrap or coil the rope around any part of your body. When you can't hold on, let go, the rope moves freely.
Wrap it, coil it, tie it, and you will get hurt.

Of course, with this, our schools will over react, and ban it.
When I was six or seven years old, I nearly lost all the fingers on my right hand doing something similar.

In my case, it was by wrapping some twine around my hand. It's hard to imagine how they would have lost fingers playing tug of war.

Upvote 0

cam44

Jan 2, 2013
Endor heading to Pandora
✟1,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How ridiculous. I mean, the kids were pretty dumb to have lost their fingers in the first place. It was a common game in my school days, and even though the rope could burn your hands, it was no more harm.
the kids were pretty dumb? nice.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I propose a new law: a week-long training course is required for any Phys Ed teachers looking to supervise tug of war, to ensure students are taught to grip the rope correctly.

If this becomes law, I will even go as far as setting up a company to provide such training, at reasonable rates.

Upvote 0

cam44

Jan 2, 2013
Endor heading to Pandora
✟1,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I propose a new law: a week-long training course is required for any Phys Ed teachers looking to supervise tug of war, to ensure students are taught to grip the rope correctly.

If this becomes law, I will even go as far as setting up a company to provide such training, at reasonable rates.
a WEEK long!?!??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
While it is tragic that a few students lost a digit, the linked article and both links within the linked article never mention that tug-o-war will be banned in the school or any other school.
Enough with the logic please. It's health and safety gone mad!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Tug of war is an accident waiting to happen.

Note that this instance was something for spirit week and thus something instigated by the school.

If the rope was adequate for teh game it should have been hard to wrap it, but 2" and larger diameter rope is expensive.

Note that this is far from the worst that can happen. If a rope breaks the loose ends can whip around and result in serious injury, even death. Very unlikely for small contests, but for huge ones it has happened.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It may just be me, but I thought it was common sense to not tie a strong rope that is going to be pulled hard in either direction round your fingers.

I've seen adults do it frequently. In the US, of course. You Brits obviously are smarter.:cool:

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Liability!
Law suits.
That's what this is all about.
Red Rover, Dodge Ball, even tag has been outlawed in public schools. Pretty soon we'll hear that there are bleachers installed on school playgrounds across the nation and recess has been transformed into a study hall.

I'm waiting for the athletic programs to be outlawed due to the same absurd fears. Track could cause shinsplints, torn ligaments, cramps. Gymnastics could cause harm due to falls,etc...
Meanwhile we'll continue to witness ad campaigns stoking fears about the epidemic of obesity in children. While exercising so as to lose the weight will eventually be illegal because it might hurt.

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Liability!
Law suits.
That's what this is all about.
Red Rover, Dodge Ball, even tag has been outlawed in public schools. Pretty soon we'll hear that there are bleachers installed on school playgrounds across the nation and recess has been transformed into a study hall.

I'm waiting for the athletic programs to be outlawed due to the same absurd fears. Track could cause shinsplints, torn ligaments, cramps. Gymnastics could cause harm due to falls,etc...
Meanwhile we'll continue to witness ad campaigns stoking fears about the epidemic of obesity in children. While exercising so as to lose the weight will eventually be illegal because it might hurt.
Don't worry, they won't outlaw sports. Athletes sign a waiver and injuries are a part of sports. Money, or should I say the lack thereof, is the issue with losing sporting programs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It may just be me, but I thought it was common sense to not tie a strong rope that is going to be pulled hard in either direction round your fingers.
I've seen adults start to tie themselves to the end, and wrap the rope around the wrist, not seen wrapped around fingers though.

People don't think that the other team doesn't instantly stop pulling, the person tied to the end, could be pulled through his/her whole team or drug by the wrist,if it didn't get yanked off.

No one mentioned banning it in this story, but schools constantly overreact to any incident.

Waiver: organized sports sign a waiver, gym class, I don't believe they sign a waiver.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nobody mentioned banning it except whoever wrote the title "Tug-o-war will now be banned in schools"

Admit it. If the OP said, "Children injured playing Tug-o-war", would it have had much response? :cool:

Facts are optional here.

Upvote 0