Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm an associate member of a UMC. I'm trying to understand the disaffiliation stuff. Are the people that are leaving the UMC the ones that want it to stay conservative and the ones that are staying the ones that are liberal (LGBTQIA+ friendly) or is it the other way around? I've not been able to figure that out, no matter how much I read. It never seems to address that very simple fact.

Reactions: Unqualified

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For clarity, I will say it is the conservatives that are leaving to either become Global Methodists, non-denoms, or to affiliate with some other denomination, I suppose. More accurately, it may be said that it is the conservatives whose beliefs do not allow them to co-exist with those that believe differently that are leaving. There are conservatives that are choosing to remain part of the UMC.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟23,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The conservatives are the ones leaving/disaffiliating and the liberals are the ones who are staying.

Some conservatives are staying in the (vain, IMO) hope that the denomination will keep the Book of Discipline unchanged, but the implication of that reasoning is that they will leave/disaffiliate too if the Discipline changes.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The conservatives are the ones leaving/disaffiliating and the liberals are the ones who are staying.

Some conservatives are staying in the (vain, IMO) hope that the denomination will keep the Book of Discipline unchanged, but the implication of that reasoning is that they will leave/disaffiliate too if the Discipline changes.
There are other conservatives hanging on in the hope that the 2024 GC will legislate a less onerous disaffiliation. I suspect the opposite: that after the P2553 sunsets, the bishops are going to circle the wagons and make it harder due to the loss of so many congregations in 2023.

Reactions: jas3
Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For clarity, I will say it is the conservatives that are leaving to either become Global Methodists, non-denoms, or to affiliate with some other denomination, I suppose. More accurately, it may be said that it is the conservatives whose beliefs do not allow them to co-exist with those that believe differently that are leaving. There are conservatives that are choosing to remain part of the UMC.
That's what I THOUGHT because the Methodist congregation I attend is very awesome and welcoming and I've heard they have no plans to leave. I don't know about the others in the city. I know that one of them is very much more-so conservative.

Another isn't that conservative, but they were sure overly concerned about my little service dog that is well-training and well-behaved and sits in my lap when I'm still. She's been trained to do that.

(The Methodist congregation I attend is very used to her as I've been going there for years and the first time that I brought her, my sister was alive and also had a service dog that came, and we had at least three people tell us, "We love when dogs come to church!" and now, not when there's a service, but sometimes when there are just some groups gathering, they let me let her off her leash and roam around until right before the meal or program actually starts because they know how sweet, friendly, and well-behaved she is. They all just joke around with her and me telling her not to go to the bathroom inside while she's sniffing everything . . . but they all know she doesn't do that and that I make sure she's had the chance to go before we go in, and that I pay attention if she is telling me that she needs to go out.)

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are other conservatives hanging on in the hope that the 2024 GC will legislate a less onerous disaffiliation. I suspect the opposite: that after the P2553 sunsets, the bishops are going to circle the wagons and make it harder due to the loss of so many congregations in 2023.
Being a member of the ELCA, it has been confusing to me since the congregations of the ELCA have the right to choose whatever they want, even though, in general, the overall ELCA is very liberal. Of course, some congregations have left the ELCA and, of course, there some still affiliated that have teachings that I find very bizarre, but there are nice welcoming ones that aren't so bizarre, either. God is still the parent and the trinity still exists. The real presence is still in the communion elements. I know when I feel okay with where I am and when I don't . . . I'm happy about the UMC wher I am an affiliate member.

Upvote 0