US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I had 3 successful fanfics, a blog I started, and a novel I was working on and I deleted it all because I had a guilty conscience about it because it was Secular. I still want to write and I like books its just I'm conflicted about restricting creativity, but at the same time I know that Paul in the bible says all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient. I really gotta consider how my creativity is going to affect other people and myself spiritually... It's hard though cause I like writing. I just don't know about writing Christian stuff. Plus, I feel like my creativity is dying a little because I suppress it, but then I'd rather that die then my soul. Advice?

euripetelynn

Dec 13, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟8,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess it depends on how you define "Christian" writing. As a Christian, my writing is always infused by my Christian perspective, though I don't always (in fact, I rarely) explicitly say Christian things. Consider Tolkien. LotR is not explicitly Christian, yet it is so steeped in a Christian perspective that it feels good and true and inspires Christians and non-Christians alike to good living. This is the kind of thing I'd like to be able to write.

Honestly, sometimes I find blatantly Christian material stifling, and often uncreative. Some of it I love, but consider the music. Not a whole lot of it feels real or emotional to me, which is why I've started listening to more secular stuff, because they're honest about their struggles and it's easier to learn and connect with them in many ways.

My suggestion: be honest about yourself, write what you want to write, and it will probably end up being shaped by your beliefs. You'll end up exploring Christian themes because you're a Christian. And sometimes, creativity may just demand that you incorporate blatantly Christian ideas into your writing. I know this is true of my own writing; all of my work is shaped by my beliefs, and some of it ends up explicitly referencing Christianity.

What kind of stuff do you write? Is it more fantastical, or realistic? Christian writing can look really different depending on the genre.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess it depends on how you define "Christian" writing. As a Christian, my writing is always infused by my Christian perspective, though I don't always (in fact, I rarely) explicitly say Christian things. Consider Tolkien. LotR is not explicitly Christian, yet it is so steeped in a Christian perspective that it feels good and true and inspires Christians and non-Christians alike to good living. This is the kind of thing I'd like to be able to write.

Honestly, sometimes I find blatantly Christian material stifling, and often uncreative. Some of it I love, but consider the music. Not a whole lot of it feels real or emotional to me, which is why I've started listening to more secular stuff, because they're honest about their struggles and it's easier to learn and connect with them in many ways.

My suggestion: be honest about yourself, write what you want to write, and it will probably end up being shaped by your beliefs. You'll end up exploring Christian themes because you're a Christian. And sometimes, creativity may just demand that you incorporate blatantly Christian ideas into your writing. I know this is true of my own writing; all of my work is shaped by my beliefs, and some of it ends up explicitly referencing Christianity.

What kind of stuff do you write? Is it more fantastical, or realistic? Christian writing can look really different depending on the genre.

Before I wrote realistic fiction, Dystopian, coming of age, with angst, stoicism, and a satirical spin. I often like to critique society or people in my writing by creating characters that portray my perspective or exaggerated perspectives on situations that bother me for the purpose of catching people's attention or changing their attitudes. Unfortunately, this takes a lot of negative elements. My writing becomes very dark, sarcastic, cynical, foul language, sexual acts, violent behaviors, that's why I deleted it.... its just I find it very hard to write sunshine and roses when I don't see things as sunshine and roses.

Upvote 0

euripetelynn

Dec 13, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟8,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, in some ways, I feel like that kind of writing can be a lot more powerful than sunshine and roses. This may be why R-rated movies are often more critically acclaimed - because they're more realistic and honest about the human condition, and thus can teach us a lot more. It sounds like your work might do just that: teach people and make them think.

But as Christians, we also understand that, though there is a lot of darkness in the world, we have a lot of hope. If I write something dark and depressing, I usually include a ray of hope, because it's more realistic. If your writing becomes too negative, it may be more important to evaluate your mindset than your stories. For example, if I realized that I continually wrote stories with zero hope, I may question if I really fell that I have hope. Then I could try and adjust my mindset, perhaps even through writing. I love exploring issues and thoughts through my work, and as a result writing shapes who I am.

It's not always bad to write negative things, but be careful how it's affecting you (probably not a good idea to write negatively if it makes you even more negative). If you're steering into territory that's damaging to you, then you might need to shift your style a bit. But this doesn't mean you have to write cheesy Christian novels with cheerful characters. Consider putting more of a Christian spin on things without going overboard.

I hope you find a nice balance :)

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello there JDmaybe,
Many years ago, before I came to The Lord, a friend told me I should write stuff because I was good with words. My response was I didn't want to add to the sadness and negative confusion that was already there. My feeling was that if I couldn't 'help' I wouldn't just add more gloom to the gloom.
But Halleluia! when we are in Christ we become new creatures and are freed to communicate what we we've received. And what we've receive is well worth the effort and time (I speak of writing) needed to communicate it. Writing is a craft that one is always learning. I don't see or hear of much good, non theological, christian writing these days. So much seems scripted, sugary sentimental or introvertedly melodramatic or just plain 'badly written'.
If you believe that writing is one of the things God would have you do in this life then do it. But be wise, be patient and keep good company. On a gloomy canvas a bright picture can well be painted. The christian painter paints both the dark and the light in such a way that the darkness is always diminished.
Go well
><>

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I had 3 successful fanfics, a blog I started, and a novel I was working on and I deleted it all because I had a guilty conscience about it because it was Secular. I still want to write and I like books its just I'm conflicted about restricting creativity, but at the same time I know that Paul in the bible says all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient. I really gotta consider how my creativity is going to affect other people and myself spiritually... It's hard though cause I like writing. I just don't know about writing Christian stuff. Plus, I feel like my creativity is dying a little because I suppress it, but then I'd rather that die then my soul. Advice?
Here's my advice, after some years of trying to figure this out...

Don't take yourself too seriously, have fun writing, and you'll find what you create is YOU. God created you as you with a gift to use, so use it - don't try and overthink it or stifle it by being overly introspective.

We writers love introspection, and it's a great quality because it means we think deeply about stuff. But it can often become a stumbling block if we don't use it fruitfully. Ted Dekker has some interesting thoughts on this. When you're being you, then the creativity flows, and it turns out that it hits the spot where people become intrigued and moved by it. When we're worried about what others think of our work, whether it hits the right market, and whether even God is scrutinising every letter, we're not going to actually move forward in God's call.

I hope that helps in some way.

Reactions: euripetelynn
Upvote 0