London
✟8,696.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I used to believe in Jesus and I thought I could feel His presence, but I started drifting when I started to question it and then I couldn't feel Him anymore. I was very confused and it seemed I was alone in my confusion.
I started to pray again in the hope that I would recover my belief, and I've now been praying daily for nearly 8 months. Although I tried to focus most of my prayers on gratitude and hope, it was often an upsetting experience, especially when I felt like I was just talking to myself.

Two weeks ago, I thought I felt God again, and it was wonderful. I still have my doubts about whether it's all just wishful thinking etc., but ever since then I really feel like He's with me.

I've been researching religions during this time and now I'm worrying that I won't find the "right" one. It's like I can feel Him there but I don't know how to reach Him. I went to church on Easter Sunday and thought I felt Him there, but I had similar feelings when I visited a mosque and even a Buddhist temple (which was odd because they don't even necessarily believe in God).
It's hard because although I'm praying and trying to reach Him, I worry that I'm not living like He would want me to - should I be baptised, should I wear a hijab, should I not eat meat from cows etc.?
I would like to think that He would understand that I'm trying, but according to some religions this isn't enough.

I'm sorry that this post has been so long, but I would really appreciate your prayers to help me find the truth and figure out what God wants.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith in Jesus first, discovering he is the right one second. Before you have enough faith to devote yourself to Jesus, persist in asking God to lead you to the truth, and be willing to act on what you believe he wants you to do (e.g., things to help others, stop sinning). It takes longer, and sometimes never, to discover God if you try to do it intellectually or sitting in a chair. Rather than talk to people about their beliefs in God, ask them about their experiences of God when it was clear that it was God.

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” (John 14:21, 1984 NIV)

• Friendly
Reactions: Erin27
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Erin :) So this video is something that I have personally watched a good..15 times already. It should start at 52:22.
Anyway, this guy shares his testimony and I think you may find it interesting. His passion really shows too. Hope you give it a chance :) I promise it's not boring.

• Friendly
Reactions: Erin27
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It's not boring, but it seems very emotionally directed, and
without going into detail, well,
test everything...
Read the Bible directly, prayerfully and often, and verify everything, each thing, before accepting anything claimed or said or preached.
i.e. pray, and pray, and keep praying....

Two weeks ago, I thought I felt God again, and it was wonderful. I still have my doubts about whether it's all just wishful thinking etc., but ever since then I really feel like He's with me.

but I had similar feelings when I visited a mosque and even a Buddhist temple (which was odd because they don't even necessarily believe in God).

The feelings are very common, without being a true nor a good guide.

Even in a lot of 'Christian' events, even true Christian events - feelings may be present ,
how can the resurrected Christ be in us, and not have feelings,
but
they come from true experience in Jesus,
and
they come from false experiences too.
so feelings cannot be trusted, nor should be.

Upvote 0