✟15,577.00
Country
India
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I'm having a very hard time trying to quit smoking. My several attempts to quit all failed within a few days or a fortnights time. As a person born into an OO family, I'm also struggling with my faith and having doubts, after having gone through a very tough situation in life that made me question God's existence for a brief while. I find solace in reading the Psalms and reading articles on the Jewish Aish -ha Torah website. I do not doubt the existence of a Creator. But i do not have a complete belief system at present.

I would like to know what is the Orthodox perspective on smoking and would appreciate any advice that helps me quit. I request your kindness and prayers for my weak self.

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I'm having a very hard time trying to quit smoking. My several attempts to quit all failed within a few days or a fortnights time. As a person born into an OO family, I'm also struggling with my faith and having doubts, after having gone through a very tough situation in life that made me question God's existence for a brief while. I find solace in reading the Psalms and reading articles on the Jewish Aish -ha Torah website. I do not doubt the existence of a Creator. But i do not have a complete belief system at present.

I would like to know what is the Orthodox perspective on smoking and would appreciate any advice that helps me quit. I request your kindness and prayers for my weak self.

Have you tried tea? It can be a good substitute for cigarettes.

Upvote 0

Zachariah2017

Sep 25, 2017
Kerala
✟15,577.00
Country
India
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I want to add one other thing. Whenever i succeed in quitting for a few days, and when my withdrawal symptoms start to wane, and when i think i have begun to win, some unfortunate coincidence-like event occurs in my life that brings me suffering and mental agony, that i restart the habit. Which is why i suspect there is some sort of spiritual warfare or force that fights against me with great power when i try to quit.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear Bluerose,
Being a south Indian I drink tea with milk at least three to four times a day. Any food or drink reduces the craving for a little while.
I am glad you have tea, it helps reduce stress and I'm glad it helps the cravings some. I will pray God takes away your desire for cigarettes.

Reactions: Zachariah2017
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello, my friend.

I see no other OO person has responded to this thread yet, so I guess I will, even though I have no experience with smoking myself. It is an addiction that is unfortunately not unknown in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

My bishop, HG Bishop Youssef, has written the following advice on the topic:

Rather than convincing yourself with what is wrong with something, ask yourself what is right with it and beware of silent communication that is often louder than audible sounds.

"Therefore, if food [put here...anything else that is questionable] makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat [put here...or engage a harmful activity}, lest I make my brother stumble" (1 Corinthians 8:13). (source)

And also, quite plainly: Smoking at anytime is never condoned by the Church. (source)

So obviously it is not something that should be engaged in, but as with everything, some people still do. I am wary of giving advice to anyone with a problem I do not have personal experience with (or at least an analogous problem), but I rather like HG's advice in the first quotation, where it is good to look at what you do in a positive way (not just for smoking, but for everything): What is good in it? It is hard to make the case that smoking is good for you, and I don't anyone of any religious background who would say so. Completely separate from any judgment of the people who do it as people -- since again, it is a problem for people in the Church too, so we are in no way better or immune to it -- it is simply not healthy as an activity.

As for what to do about it, I think you are already on the right track by praying the Psalms. There are so many portions of the psalms that talk about the struggle with evil and how God will help us in it. I'm sure you can find plenty to apply to your own situation, as illumined by the Holy Spirit via the guidance of our holy fathers who also taught and fought in the same war against the passions.

May God be with you.

Reactions: Zachariah2017
Upvote 0

Zachariah2017

Sep 25, 2017
Kerala
✟15,577.00
Country
India
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello, my friend.

I see no other OO person has responded to this thread yet, so I guess I will, even though I have no experience with smoking myself. It is an addiction that is unfortunately not unknown in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

My bishop, HG Bishop Youssef, has written the following advice on the topic:

Rather than convincing yourself with what is wrong with something, ask yourself what is right with it and beware of silent communication that is often louder than audible sounds.

"Therefore, if food [put here...anything else that is questionable] makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat [put here...or engage a harmful activity}, lest I make my brother stumble" (1 Corinthians 8:13). (source)

And also, quite plainly: Smoking at anytime is never condoned by the Church. (source)

So obviously it is not something that should be engaged in, but as with everything, some people still do. I am wary of giving advice to anyone with a problem I do not have personal experience with (or at least an analogous problem), but I rather like HG's advice in the first quotation, where it is good to look at what you do in a positive way (not just for smoking, but for everything): What is good in it? It is hard to make the case that smoking is good for you, and I don't anyone of any religious background who would say so. Completely separate from any judgment of the people who do it as people -- since again, it is a problem for people in the Church too, so we are in no way better or immune to it -- it is simply not healthy as an activity.

As for what to do about it, I think you are already on the right track by praying the Psalms. There are so many portions of the psalms that talk about the struggle with evil and how God will help us in it. I'm sure you can find plenty to apply to your own situation, as illumined by the Holy Spirit via the guidance of our holy fathers who also taught and fought in the same war against the passions.

May God be with you.
Thank you.

Upvote 0