Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your sound points and comments are very refreshing. I wonder if Paul actually said that he spoke in tongues more than them all? A very minor point in an excellent post. He certainly advocated prophecy as a much more useful gift in a public meeting. Yes, Paul did disciple and train others, and you are totally correct in that he did not make his trainees dependent on him, but pointed them to Christ: "Be followers of me as I am of Christ."

Thank you. This sounds polite and somewhat restrained in print. In reality, your enjoyment of this discussion is a giddy moment. Let me kind of pull 300 some posts into a kind of summary.

[Stands on Soapbox] We're all supposed to have the inheritance of the saints. [Gets down off of Soapbox.]

Isn't that maddening? There's this ecstatic thing in the Book of Acts. Then there's this chasm. On the other side of this huge gap in the landscape is what we call life now. We affirm that the Bible is True. Then we have to react to the fact that earthly life is messy.

When Jesus was saying that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all truth--this is the kind of thing we are talking about. 1 Corinthians 4:20 NIV:
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.​

What is Power in this context. Here is the list as I understand it.

Authority
Covering
Effective Prayer
Ordered Steps
Spirit-Taught
Wisdom
Vision

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An Illustration.

A Christian woman in Kenya saw deep poverty all around her. She prayed to God for help. [Effective Prayer]
One day, she had this glimpse of a library where the local children could read books for free. The surprise? The library was in her home. [Vision]
Day after day, this flash of insight had more confirmations that she was meant to do this. [Wisdom]
A new Christian website launched. She joined along with about 5,000 other people. [Ordered Steps]
She took initiative and greeted many people in a friendly manner. [Wisdom]
Five people in particular took notice of her and became friends over the internet. [Covering]
When she shared her Inspiration, these five friends began to help her accomplish this project. [Ordered Steps]
But what books to get? She had funds now, but all the choices were confusing. She prayed to God for help. [Effective Prayer]
The right books would teach values and Jesus. Now she knew what books to get. [Spirit-Taught]
There was initial opposition from the community because children were spending lots of time at her home. They came as a group to confront her. [Covering]
She went out to conference with this group. The speech she gave was effective and decisive about how the children needed this resource. [Authority]

This short example of a true event may not agree with exactly how you see wisdom functioning, etc. The steps shown in this order really happened. Let's skip to today.
Here is a group of children from the slums being read stories like "The Little Engine that Could" and the "Joseph in Egypt".
Book Club 1.JPG

One of these children is a girl named Amina. She told Emily what she wanted to have written.

book club 2.JPG

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Assigning Proper Value.

Come on. We all know someone like this: A person who loves on others, yet denies his or herself proper care and value. This topic was so titled because in the Kingdom of God, proper weights and measures are used. Here in the parable of the prodigal son is one such discussion. Luke 15:25-32 NIV:
“Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing.So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’​

“The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’​

‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”
The father in the story [God] defends His right to celebrate and be glad over the lost son. Many of us have heard this passage over a hundred times. How about a different discussion than normal?

What would our home, workplace, church, community look like if we gave everyone, including ourselves, proper value?

Oh, now it gets quiet. Look, we talk about it. We talk about it a lot! Children, six and under, are supposed to be read to for ten minutes a day. The average married American parent reports spending just over four hours with their spouse in a typical day of a seven-day week, excluding time sleeping or working together (Table 1, first row). "Page 19. of https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/opre/spending_time_together.pdf

"Your priorities aren't what you SAY they are. They are revealed by how you live. What does your life say about the value of your family and marriage? -- "Marriage Today" on Facebook''

My husband, who gives to everyone so selflessly, needs to experience honor. He deflects compliments. There is resistance to resting appropriately. All his frustrations are stuffed into the inner closets of his soul. I'm trading on the anonymous nature of this topic to say something important: He needs to love himself as WELL as loving others. This week he discovered how many people care about him. This isn't a fad. The awareness that he is important has to be extend into tomorrow and next week...

I'm not alone loving one someone who does not love him or her self. It's heartbreaking to see them excuse themselves from joy. I mentioned this at the beginning and now at the conclusion. It's possible to offer love, honor, value, perspective to someone in abundance and have it not be effectively received. It's also possible that someone is open to receiving this care and not have it offered. Either way, it's a Greek Tragedy.

If you're the prodigal coming back to God, let God throw the Celebratory Party! Accept the LOVE. Can we please bring some awareness to our lives in this area? I'm testifying that it's very difficult to be in relationship with such a gem of a person who doesn't know they are precious!

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What's Inconvenient about Convenience.

For those type A folks, here is the answer: No faith.

It takes no faith if everything is convenient. A life set up to be maximized to suit one's feelings is minimized to suit God. Since the premise of this thread is built up about how serving servants so often get rejected for the truth, this is a key reason why a truthful messenger gets rejected. The truth is not convenient.

For the visually obsessed public, the Truth is a BOOK.
For the proud, the truth says 'Humble yourselves."
For the rich, the truth says "Give generously..." and "It is hard for a rich man to enter heaven."
For the busy, the truth says 'Be still and know that I am God.."

And the list could go on. The hardest truths have to do with identity. That's the most personal. That's how you define your experience of life. To the core of your experience, truth says 'believe before you see'. Now that's inconvenient. That is what faith is. It's trusting that God, who is Truth, cannot lie. The sun is faithful in its course. The seasons roll around on His orders. Nature certainly declares His majesty. God says in His Bible that He intends to remake... YOU. What do YOU think of THAT?

Convenience wants whatever it wants on its timetable. Convenience wants authority without responsibility, love without commitment or maintenance, power without restraint, form without content, society separated from untouchables. Why are many cities criminalizing 'urban camping'? It's inconvenient to be presented with the truth of homelessness.

Friendship with the world is hatred towards God. That's inconvenient too. We aren't talking about time-saving devices. We're talking about attitudes and mindsets. There's nothing new about this. Jesus' own words were further amplified by Paul's inspired ones to draw out in large block letters that could be seen from space. Faith is... Love is... and You are.. Let's just take one of these definitions. The extended definition of love is quoted in a lot of weddings. 1 Corinthians Chapter 13. See if you can spot how many inconveniences are contained in just a few words about love.

Love is patient.. [hold up..] Patient? What about what I want? Let's go! This sounds like it's going to take awhile. What are you trying to say here? Get to the point.

Ok, I will.
Convenience, in the end, is an idol.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What's Inconvenient about Convenience.

For those type A folks, here is the answer: No faith.

It takes no faith if everything is convenient. A life set up to be maximized to suit one's feelings is minimized to suit God. Since the premise of this thread is built up about how serving servants so often get rejected for the truth, this is a key reason why a truthful messenger gets rejected. The truth is not convenient.

For the visually obsessed public, the Truth is a BOOK.
For the proud, the truth says 'Humble yourselves."
For the rich, the truth says "Give generously..." and "It is hard for a rich man to enter heaven."
For the busy, the truth says 'Be still and know that I am God.."

And the list could go on. The hardest truths have to do with identity. That's the most personal. That's how you define your experience of life. To the core of your experience, truth says 'believe before you see'. Now that's inconvenient. That is what faith is. It's trusting that God, who is Truth, cannot lie. The sun is faithful in its course. The seasons roll around on His orders. Nature certainly declares His majesty. God says in His Bible that He intends to remake... YOU. What do YOU think of THAT?

Convenience wants whatever it wants on its timetable. Convenience wants authority without responsibility, love without commitment or maintenance, power without restraint, form without content, society separated from untouchables. Why are many cities criminalizing 'urban camping'? It's inconvenient to be presented with the truth of homelessness.

Friendship with the world is hatred towards God. That's inconvenient too. We aren't talking about time-saving devices. We're talking about attitudes and mindsets. There's nothing new about this. Jesus' own words were further amplified by Paul's inspired ones to draw out in large block letters that could be seen from space. Faith is... Love is... and You are.. Let's just take one of these definitions. The extended definition of love is quoted in a lot of weddings. 1 Corinthians Chapter 13. See if you can spot how many inconveniences are contained in just a few words about love.

Love is patient.. [hold up..] Patient? What about what I want? Let's go! This sounds like it's going to take awhile. What are you trying to say here? Get to the point.

Ok, I will.
Convenience, in the end, is an idol.
I agree convenience is an idol and basically distracts us from being corrected (for everyone of us within that list that has to be faced with an inconvenient truth that deals with our identity).

Individually, I can say I battle with convenience in a number of different areas. I admit it's convenient - actually painfully convenient from a faith perspective - for me to drive by the poor holding up a sign when I can stop and give in some capacity. That's always been a conviction.

In church, there is the area of giving of both time and resources.

In the book of Acts, the saint endured the inconvenience of persecution as Jesus said we would. But they were joyful about it, throwing convenience to the wind for the joy set before them.

Continually praying we as believers in America become the same way.

Reactions: Farine
Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree convenience is an idol and basically distracts us from being corrected (for everyone of us within that list that has to be faced with an inconvenient truth that deals with our identity).

If someone does get distracted from issues relating to their identity, here's what they lose: Freedom. Correction fixes something that's snared them. That's not how we feel, is it? Just look at someone else's life. We always seem to see other people so much more accurately than how we see ourselves. Take resentment, for example. Look at any close sibling relationship. "John got attention because he was an athlete. No one wanted to come to my piano recitals." Ah, what did the musician sibling have that God blessed?

Individually, I can say I battle with convenience in a number of different areas. I admit it's convenient - actually painfully convenient from a faith perspective - for me to drive by the poor holding up a sign when I can stop and give in some capacity. That's always been a conviction.

Since it is possible in Southern California to go through the winter with no snow and no absolute freezing temperatures, there is a higher percentage of homeless people here. It would not surprise me that some homeless people are snowbirds of a sort, migrating here for that reason.

Ken Craft, the CEO of Hope of the Valley, is a member of the church I attend. Hope of the Valley operates several thrift stores and also maintains two 'care centers'. One of them is a recuperative place where homeless people discharged from the hospital can go rather than right from the hospital to the street. He is a Facebook Contact so my news feed gets frequent updates about the status of the homeless in our area. He says we are having a large uptick in the number of homeless people in our community. I believe him.

We serve the God who creates from nothing simply by speaking. We're in scarcity mode all the time. Jesus turned to the disciples at the start of the miracle of the feeding of the 5,000 and said "You feed them." The disciples sound like us. God is still blessing and multiplying the little that we have. I hope I don't sound conceited. Here's how this blessing and multiplying seems to work from my experience.

People get stuck in their lives where they can't produce. More often than not, it's a soul problem manifesting as a financial one. We search our own soul for an answer, like the disciples searched their campsite. " No, Lord." we protest. "Our immediate vicinity is inadequate. Tell them to go somewhere else." God is not inadequate. Speaking life directly connects that erring or suffering soul to the God who made it. We fix nothing. Knowing a homeless person reveals how massive their struggle is. It underscores how much God must be involved. People can't see other's souls. God uses a person like a surgeon picks up an instrument. It's an honor to see how God picks a specific part of your life to bring someone else to life. We are instructed to be available to God. When we are open to God's involvement, the most amazing developments happen.

Let's cover one objection: the fear factor. Hey, some homeless people are highly unpredictable.

**Confirmation is a requirement. Legitimate assignments come with all its associated pieces intact, including security. God does not send you in to fail. Having said that, note you must be able to reliably communicate (two-way) with God.

**Fixing soul problems is a process. It takes time. God picks someone who has the right amount of time for this effort.

**This is managed from Heaven, not be you. This is a faith-walk because God is supplying the instructions of what to do.

**There is a place to speak the truth with love. We don't like conflict. As has been established in this long-running discussion thread, truth includes the potential of conflict.

**Obedience is better than sacrifice. If you want to understand everything, this type of ministry is not for you. In that case, please give generously to ministries helping the homeless.

*Understand that people can and do come out of this environment to make strong contributions to society. Don't lump all of them into a category. They are still people. There, but for the grace of God, go you and I.

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your Ways vs. God's Ways

Just to be sure we are all defining this word in the same fashion, ways means: a method, plan, or means for attaining a goal.

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.​

This verse is not a surprise for most Christians that God's ways are not the same as ours nor are these ways on the same level. What happens when our goals, plans and methods are usually done our way?

Proverbs 14:14 KJV:
The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.​

That's a hint that maybe doing things mostly our way isn't helpful? We need more information.

James 1:8 KJV:
A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.​

AND James 1:11 KJV:
For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.​

The King James Version was used because this translation consistently used the word 'Ways' to avoid confusion. Obviously other translations took the original Hebrew or Greek word and used a slightly different one. Switching to the keyword 'Plan", let's look at God's Ways as detailed in Ephesians 1: 8b-12 NIV:
With all wisdom and understanding, he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ. In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.​

We have a lot of information listed here. A quick skim would see that our ways (method, plans or means to a goal) are discouraged. God's higher, better ways are promoted. In the conclusion, here are a few deeper insights. There's a lot of truth here if one spends some time.

We, as adults, already have a 'Don't tell me what to do!' reaction to someone, ANYBODY's, instructions. Even if it's God. God is not a man that He should lie, or a son of man that He should repent. God rules with or without your permission. As hard as it is to swallow that 'captain of my ship' pride, don't shipwreck.

Double minded is refers to a mixed condition where sometimes you are spiritual and sometimes you are carnal. Consider that in its literal interpretation. There is a phase in one's spiritual development when one's identity is sometimes the new creation (spirit) and sometimes the old man (flesh). These two natures war with the other. This warring causes instability.

Being rich usually includes the temptation to think one is his own Source rather than as a steward having the accountability for being given much. It is possible to be rich in terms of material possessions and still be in good standing with God. Most of us in America don't realize how rich we are. Check your heart for attachment to possessions, status, self-reliance.

If you asked many Christians what their goals were, I bet most would not say 'Unity under Christ'. That's God's goal --His Will from verse 10 of Ephesians 1. We don't even know what that means. Most of us would say we have seen the opposite. That verse goes on to say .. [God] works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will. Don't understand that? Just wait. God's working it out.

The world is in upheaval, chaos and deep distress. We have the answer. To the forces of disruption, chaos and poverty we preach unity under Christ. Revelation declares the victory of God's Will and Ways. Revelation 21:5-8 NIV:
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”​

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello Farine -its been a while . i have not called by in some time nor read your posts of late . ( i was for short time restricted due to a certain uncompromising stance -it happens and i'm sure will do so again [-shock horror i referred to a person who promoted evolution as " a liar " -well what was my choice -your right god was wrong ? wasn't going to happen ]

..may browse through later .just wanted to say hi .
i see you made acquaintance with Oscar ..good man .

hope its been well with you .it has with us , we continue to walk back into the book of acts ..on the other side of the Chasm again haha ;)

• Winner
Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hello Farine -its been a while . i have not called by in some time nor read your posts of late . ( i was for short time restricted due to a certain uncompromising stance -it happens and i'm sure will do so again [-shock horror i referred to a person who promoted evolution as " a liar " -well what was my choice -your right god was wrong ? wasn't going to happen ]

..may browse through later .just wanted to say hi .
i see you made acquaintance with Oscar ..good man .

hope its been well with you .it has with us , we continue to walk back into the book of acts ..on the other side of the Chasm again haha ;)
I'm glad you are on the right side of the CHasm :D Thanks for stopping by. Yes, it's excellent that life is well with you. We're having more adventures than we'd like. Since God is in charge, these adventures have a medicinal value. My husband had a minor stroke about a week ago. He's been discharged and now has a month of medical leave to heal.

As far as standing on the truth, we might have a much higher consequence than 'restriction' from a public internet forum. God bless!
Farine

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Benched!!

“There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither.” Alan Cohen.

“God never asked us to meet life's pressures and demands on our own terms or by relying upon our own strength. Nor did He demands that we win His favor by assembling an impressive portfolio of good deeds. Instead, He invites us to enter His rest.” Charles R. Swindoll.

IV bandaid.JPG

That's me. Just returned from the Emergency Room minus my potential emergency. I have to stop activity today as per the instructions from the Doctor. I'm benched. My reaction to it really doesn't matter as long as I obey.

Of course, a lot of us get benched by God at one point or another. Without consulting us, God just clears our schedule. *Zap* Executive Orders. Nothing is on the schedule. There are many good reasons why this could happen to you. Rest fills the whole day planner this day. Since there is nothing else to do, seems appropriate to spend a few minutes on this topic and then .. um.. go rest.

If you are a parent, it is good parenting to model self-care for your children. They need to know there are times when one must stop normal activities. It's also good if one tends to over-function, to know when there is a limit in order to respect that limit. The body can only be pushed so far and then bad things happen.

In my case, this an age thing creeping up on me to ambush me at 3 am today. Thankfully, we live in an age and location where there is a simple fix. This age thing can be whacked mercilessly and my normal routine resumed. Notice was provided that my body needs more support. Got it.

Hebrews 4:3 [AMP]:
For we who believe [that is, we who personally trust and confidently rely on God] enter that rest [so we have His inner peace now because we are confident in our salvation, and assured of His power], just as He has said,
“As I swore [an oath] in My wrath,They shall not enter My rest,”
[this He said] although His works were completed from the foundation of the world [waiting for all who would believe].

This is an important verse. Successful benching involves communication. You understand when God is engaged in your life and what area God is working on. Examples help.

My mother in law has Alzheimer's. It has progressed to the point where she lives in a facility. My role in this is not to teach her as her mind has virtually no short term memory. This is brain failure. Being benched in this kind of environment means I don't try to make her brain do something it is unable to do. This is a fairly clear-cut example. Physically, there is a limitation which changes what choices I have while interacting with her.

My teens are very mature for their ages. Being benched in their lives has a whole other flavor. Here, I'm not parenting in areas they have competency. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So I don't make their lunches for school or do their laundry or overly investigate their homework activity. There's no point to it.

There is a good friend where we talk twice and three times a week. This is an accountability relationship. There are times when I'm asked about my Christian walk and then in return ask about my friend's experiences. Being benched in this situation means God is dealing with that person from Heaven. This can happen when sin has such a hold that normal interactions aren't effective. This could be a besetting sin. In any case, God lets us know when He is personally involved. In this situation, my checking in isn't desirable. God has got it. It's really out of my sphere of influence.

So resting for health, spiritual strength, excused from involvement for various reasons are all reasons one can be benched. It is often a rich time of relationship with God. And now, I'm off to do the right thing...

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
only believe was smiths wigglesworth often saying . but he got it from our lord Jesus .
lay hands on your mum command healing .. a cut on the leg ..a brain ,what difference is it to god .command the spirit of alzheimer's to Go in Jesus name . amen

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
only believe was smiths wigglesworth often saying . but he got it from our lord Jesus .
lay hands on your mum command healing .. a cut on the leg ..a brain ,what difference is it to god .command the spirit of alzheimer's to Go in Jesus name . amen

I read this and prayed over this for a few days. Alithis, there is this lingering question. The one who is to be healed needs to receive this, right? There has to be faith on the part of the person being healed. One of the things I most appreciate about your testimonies is the evidence that there still is faith in the world.

(Just to let you know, the last two days have been spent on public transportation, going back and forth between two households). GOD Bless you!

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Man, even writing about serving feels messy....

This being the third re-write of today's topic, some sweat was involved. There's something distasteful about setting aside one's own agenda. The spark of inspiration for today's topic was taking out the trash. As I went back and forth between two households, about the time I got back to each place, the trash had reached its summit. It felt like that was all I was there to do. Four different trips to the big bins outside later, I listened quietly. *crickets*

Which brings up another point. Appreciation or lack thereof. It shouldn't matter. We all get our praise and reward from God. Right? This is where there is a check in my spirit. Obviously, growth is indicated....

There's popular serving like singing in the choir. There's messy, uncomfortable serving like sitting in hospitals next to patients. It's not until it's your loved one who is admitted when you learn how important it is to keep someone sick supported. It can literally make the difference between life and death.

Messy serving [Matthew 25:35-37 AMP] is all that is listed here.
For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; I was naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me [with help and ministering care]; I was in prison, and you came to Me [ignoring personal danger].’​

No, this list does not mention taking out the trash. /sigh.

What this list does identify is the inherent value of a human being. Jesus invests these undesirable encounters with the incredible equivalent of serving and encountering Him. Yeah, it's difficult to picture that. That's what it says. Okay....

When the memorial service was being prepared for my father in law in early December 2016, there was a lot of support roles I had never thought about. There was the storage room which I got to see which held easels and much yardage of black drapes. There was the cabinets which contained the tablecloths for the reception tables. Following the coordinator around was a cardio workout. Her agile mind had me dizzy. There was the table for the sign in book, the table for the donation basket and the table for the coffee dispenser. I was instructed to place all these items in pre-determined places. My relatives jumped into action and followed her directions to convert the space into a beautiful place of remembrance. Twenty people worked in that half an hour. She had gone further. She had the catering arranged and the clean up group organized. Three hours later, the whole service had concluded.

Serving seems to be these snap shots of people. See the memorial service coordinator. There's a picture of a woman managing three kids into a mini van after leaving Target. Two of the kids are foster. One of them has a melt down. His Mom doesn't flinch. It's a great mix of structure and support. I nod appreciatively. Good parenting is so important. A snap shot of my husband as he cares for his Mom even when it's hard. A view of my daughter as she listens to her friend's issues at home. My neighbor chiseled out the packed earth in the concrete channel in the street that diverts it to the storm drain. My friend paid for a neighbor's school tuition fees because unemployment had unexpectedly hit that household.

1 Corinthians 15:57-58 NIV:
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.​

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read this and prayed over this for a few days. Alithis, there is this lingering question. The one who is to be healed needs to receive this, right? There has to be faith on the part of the person being healed. One of the things I most appreciate about your testimonies is the evidence that there still is faith in the world.

(Just to let you know, the last two days have been spent on public transportation, going back and forth between two households). GOD Bless you!
Some times it's really really difficult to see through all our emotions when people are close to us .when my 3 yr old was sick .shallow breathing gasping,little chest sinking in with each laboured breath ..oouh how I longed to not believe .and to administer the medications .to flee to the hospital .but we lay hands upon him and prayed and kept praying and commanded healing .it was a long night and a hard battle,our own hearts crying .He was healed ,and now also no longer has any dependency on inhalers or other allergy meds .in fact he no longer has allergic reactions .even got a bee sting the other day with nothing more then an itch .so grateful to God.
In regard to the person being prayed for requiring faith .short answer is.. Who activates faith when the child is 2? Or younger . when we read through the accounts of Jesus healing. It is very beautiful.we see different people activate faith and different people healed. We can't put it in a box.
The leper man asked Jesus ..if you will,Jesus replied I will ( he meant it's his nature to always heal God is life he can't do anything except will life it is his very nature - in contrast it's written he is not willing that any perish)
In the case of the centurian,his faith healed the servant who was not even present to act or even know.
And of course the wonderful case of Laserus .he was "dead"...

Of course this is a tip of an iceburg of thinking to be renewed to agree with Jesus as the living word of God and would take too much to post here.So best is to refer you to a resource .there are many.none are perfect but this one is Very Good .

It is not one session .but the entire Series .so save the link .or better,since you drive a lot ,you can download the audio copy and listen while you drive.

John G Lake Divine Healing Technician Training Course
Hope that's the right link.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some times it's really really difficult to see through all our emotions when people are close to us

Oh you said it wonderfully. Yes, there is an emotional hang-up here. THank you for acknowledging that fact. I have a lot of releasing to do on many different levels in this situation. What I will do is look at the materials you offered in gratitude and learn. There is a lot of health going on around me in people I love and care about. I will let you know how I get along at different points how I progress through the series.

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"It Makes Me So Mad....."

[Note: This is written on a day when I am not upset.]
Since this discussion is devoted to authentic serving servants of God, there are days when your heavenly assignment is really frustrating. That's the framework for the topic. Anyone who has dealt much with the public will have some stories....

There are reasons why God compared people to sheep. Phillip Keller wrote a book which combined two powerful experiences.. being a Shepherd and the insights from Psalm 23. The book's title is 'A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23". Here is a short quote:

I have become increasingly aware of one thing ... It is ... the Master in people's lives who makes the difference in their destiny.
Despite an unparalleled wealth in material assets we are outstandingly insecure and unsure of ourselves and well nigh bankrupt in spiritual values. Always men are searching for safety beyond themselves. They are restless, unsettled, covetous, greedy for more -- wanting this and that, yet never really satisfied in spirit. By contrast the simple Christian, the humble person, the Shepherd's sheep can stand up proudly and boast. "The Lord is my Shepherd -- I shall not want."​

So what makes me so mad?

I have observed this restless lot of un-managed humanity for some time now. The same people who poke and resist and struggle would be so relieved if they would respond to God's message residing in me. But they don't. At least, not yet.

The fear of being wrong. Or of pain. Or of intrusion into one's most private business. These fears try to interfere. If it's not fear, it's deception. There are actually times when the enemy causes panic attacks just so the poor sheep.. i mean person.. won't be able to focus.

Can we say it like it is?

Serving people can be so frustrating! Thanks be to God who gives us the victory! I'm waiting on the LORD for a few particular 'Sheep" to come into His Care.

Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What Happens When You Are Distracted from God...

Hey, there isn't much time. A timer has started ticking in the background. 10...9...8 *blink*
"I don't care. This isn't [take your pick] helpful, fascinating, getting to the point."
So yes, I'm getting to the point. In order to do that, I need more than ten seconds, okay? The creative writing assignment is to show you that being distracted from God is dangerous to your soul.
"Dangerous?"
Oh yeah. Proving that this topic has danger in it, might be worth a couple of minutes of your time, right?
[Points to watch. ]" You have two minutes. Go."

The point could be established from Peter looking away from Jesus while out of the boat, walking on the water in Matthew 14:30. Since the metaphor of walking on the water could be contested, let's go for something more practical.

John's Gospel, Chapter 15, verse 4 says this:
Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.​

Logically, there is a conditional statement in this verse. IF you remain in Jesus, THEN you are able to bear fruit.
There should be at least curiosity in what it means 'to remain in Jesus' which is the qualifying phrase. Fellowship. Intimacy. Able to be directed by Him. That's what it means 'to remain in Jesus'. Do you see where this topic is headed?

What happens if you are consistently distracted from God? It's the same thing that happens in any human-to-human relationship you have already experienced--loss of fellowship, intimacy and loss of direction. Jesus calls this 'not remaining in him'. The reference to a vine with a branch implies the necessity of the connection. This situation causes one obscure consequence: 'no fruit'.

Let's examine the lack of flow of supplies from the vine to the branch as the danger. You are in a battle of good versus evil. The territory that this battle is fought over is your soul. You have a sealed spirit, pure and untouchable by evil. Your soul is contested. Some of your heart, mind and will is for God. Some of your inner space is claimed by sin. It's a mess in some areas. That's humanity. In a battle, one of the tactics is to cut off the opposition's supply lines. Essentially, that's what is happening here.

In life, it looks something like this.
A husband and wife have potential conflict. Oh, the variety of options here. She's a saver. He's a spender. (There are times when the spender is right and the saver is wrong.) Or they don't agree on how to raise their children. Whatever it is, we're at the beginning of the problem just when both of them realize this could be a hot topic.

What are they focused on? [The problem.]
What does it mean? [I'm married to an [insensitive, unaware or confused] person.]
What am they going to do? [Get upset, have a fight...]

Hold up. At what point did they pray? When did they use anything they learned from the Bible? Do they believe GOd will set the record straight if they are being unjustly accused? Where is their faith? Where exactly is their point of departure from bearing the fruit God is looking for?

The exact point where the process broke down happened with their focus. They got distracted from God. That was the point of danger even though they passed through that phase without stopping. Before temptation becomes sin, before you even realize you are being tempted, there is the grab for your focus.

The two minutes are up. God bless you in your walk with Him.

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Demands of Destiny.

This topic is yet another topic which could be a book. The reason is that here is one broad place to peek behind the veil of human experience to look at the Kingdom of God. This is one of the mechanisms God uses to position people and events according to His Will. This topic has a timing piece, a portion dedicated to assisting people, mentoring, funding, you name it--it's in here somewhere. So why would this topic have a teeny tiny five paragraph space allocated to it? Just a peek will get you energized to investigate more.

Earlier in this discussion thread, the broad scope of God's Will from Ephesians 1:8b-12 (Post 348 on this same page) is "Unity under Christ". There is one area of unity that has particular emphasis. That is marriage. The unity is so tight that the two are considered one by God. This metaphor of Marriage is involved in how Christ loves the church. If someone is touching the definition of what it means to be married then watch-out! God gets engaged when definitions of His Institutions are touched. Friends with Benefits, waiting ages to commit to marriage while living together, a ghetto version of polygamy where partners are discarded for another, affairs and reducing the love act to just a physical exchange are all attempts to change what this 'unity under Christ' is.

This is just one example. The purpose God has designed you for is another demand from destiny that your best and highest is what God chose and not what people decided for you. Whether it is your earthly purpose or partner, going against the Design is to be discouraged. The particulars of how God protects His Plan, His Intentions, would make a good read. All the above is set up for what comes next.

Did you think you got to this place in life by yourself? The answer to that question reveals much. So many big things rest on small things. God, who invented the massive interactions of stars and galaxies, also invented quantum mechanics. In the tiny realms of sub-atomic physics lies some interesting qualities. In these mechanics lies all the tools God needs to adjust reality. Miracles can be arranged on this level. There is a NOVA show on this topic that precisely laid out these principles in laymen's terms. Suddenly, I realized that this is where God changes things if He wants to.

This is not a tangent. God arranges things, especially things He wants. Providence is real. When people have experienced God's divine care and guidance, sometimes what happens strains credibility. God built into His Creation the Super-Admin Capacity to override what natural principles He wanted to with the foreknowledge of what the End would be.

Back to the issue of God's intentions, when a person goes against those intentions, reality begins to apply pressure. In churchspeak, it's often called "The Wilderness". It goes deeper than that. Revelation Chapter Two has a clear picture of God overseeing His Creation in 'opening doors that no man can shut and closing doors that no man can open." Ya gotta have lived a little while to have either experienced an open door that no one can shut or its reverse and tried to open a door God closed. As you can see this topic wants to overflow the space for the day. It's important to know that God is governing. God will see His Will expressed on the earth.

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unevenly Yoked...

This phrase makes sense in an agricultural community. It's an alien metaphor in an urban environment.
plough1.jpg

When we use this phrase in a spiritual sense, it has this meaning: Two or more people cannot perform the task set before them. Instead of working together, they are at odds with one another. This inability does not happen because of behavior, rather it happens because of deeper issues like identity, goals, beliefs and substance.

Ah, substance. This is a reference to an ancient Greek concept. This concept was well known by the writer of Hebrews when he wrote 'Faith is the substance of things hoped for.." For convenience, the Greek word means 'being'... the Latin counterpart means 'something that stands under or grounds things'. You get the sense of the truth of something in this concept of substance.

So if your substance, who you are at your deepest core, is not in agreement then there really isn't room to compromise. People try. If one wears masks or pretends or sharply limits involvement a short term option happens. It's not sustainable. From a spiritual point of view, if you are spirit, reborn through the Word of God indwelling you, you have had a change of substance. Your being is now in the flow of the Spirit of God. There are a lot of changes as a result of this.

One of the changes is relational. The core you is now very different than who you were. One of the changes is capacity. You are more than you were. Those who say 'I knew you when....' will struggle.

THis topic is important because we are social and need to belong and need to contribute to others. The whole mechanism for fellowship is better at the spiritual level. Holy people have more fun. They are happier. They have more gratitude. Joy. Let's not forget they have joy. In the Apostle's Creed in the last article there is this statement, "I believe in the communion of saints." This isn't something to be longed for in Heaven. We get this here on earth too.

If social experiences are more or less frustrating, let's talk about it. God's power to heal, restore and remake is infinite. God's desire for unity under Christ is the future of humanity. Every knee will bow. Every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord to the GLory of God the Father. We're just doing it ahead of everyone else.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.