U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My two year old son has a little toothbrush that he uses, and some baby tooth gel that is fluoride-free and safe to swallow, which I put on the toothbrush to make it taste good. I don't actually like it when he applies the tooth gel himself. I prefer to do it. But he is a little copy cat and since it's not terribly messy, I acquiesce.

He has a cream that I keep in his diaper bag that looks a lot like tooth gel, and he insisted on squirting it onto his little tooth brush. I assured him it was not the same thing, and put the tube out of his reach just to be safe. Well he saw where I put it, and when I was distracted he pushed his sister's Barbie car over to it and climbed it until he got the diaper cream down. Of course he brushed his teeth with it, which I discovered when he presented his tongue to me with a sour face.

It's non-toxic, so no big deal. But it tasted bad, so he grabbed a baby wipe from his diaper bag and presented it to me hoping I'd wipe off his tongue. I told him that scented baby wipes probably wouldn't taste good either, but he didn't believe me, and wiped his tongue with it anyway. His reaction indicated he was wrong. So I gave him a sippy cup of milk to wash down the after-taste of the baby wipe.

Then he presented me with a bottle of vegetable oil, which I can only assume looked like apple juice to him, and insisted I put it in his sippy cup instead. He is very upset that I'm not letting him drink the vegetable oil, and even though he seems to accept things once he's discovered the consequences for himself, I just don't feel like cleaning oil out of his sippy cup. So I declined. How can I reason with him that this, too, is a bad idea and I'm not just being mean?