London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like half the White house have been exposed and this all 32 days before an election. And so the drama of the American election climbs to a new level. Since Biden might have also been exposed by meeting Trump in 2 hour debate this could mean both candidates being very sick on election day or even dead. Changes the dynamics some what!!

Trump and Melania test positive for coronavirus

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Looks like half the White house have been exposed and this all 32 days before an election. And so the drama of the American election climbs to a new level. Since Biden might have also been exposed by meeting Trump in 2 hour debate this could mean both candidates being very sick on election day or even dead. Changes the dynamics some what!!

Trump and Melania test positive for coronavirus
I know it was only a while ago that I was joking about first one to cough loses.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know it was only a while ago that I was joking about first one to cough loses.

May end up being whose cough is loudest and dominates the room. But seriously if both candidates die or are incapacitated on election day not even sure what the protocol is

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
May end up being whose cough is loudest and dominates the room. But seriously if both candidates die or are incapacitated on election day not even sure what the protocol is
I do wonder whether this is a political stunt. Whilst in the short term it makes Donald look weak, if he gets through unscathed it will focus attention on Bidens age.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do wonder whether this is a political stunt. Whilst in the short term it makes Donald look weak, if he gets through unscathed it will focus attention on Bidens age.

There is also a question of timescales. How long does it take to be covid free. If Trump recovers before election but Biden is still infected that casts a big doubt on the voter dynamics. If the whole administration comes down with cv19 and are in home office till they recover how does that work with continuity of government

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There is also a question of timescales. How long does it take to be covid free. If Trump recovers before election but Biden is still infected that casts a big doubt on the voter dynamics. If the whole administration comes down with cv19 and are in home office till they recover how does that work with continuity of government
Depends on how you define covid-free, and also of course on the severity of the infection.

Many people who were infected by covid-19 in spring are still battling with the diseases effects and might for the rest of their life.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on how you define covid-free, and also of course on the severity of the infection.

Many people who were infected by covid-19 in spring are still battling with the diseases effects and might for the rest of their life.

Yes most people just recover but others have lung damage or lose sense of smell or taste. Not under estimating potential severity. But if Trump shrugs this off that makes him look good. If he succumbs then Pence is the candidate. If both are sick on election day there is an uncertainty in the choice. If Biden is also infected then the American people and the onlooking world have no idea if whichever candidate is voted in will actually survive till office. Big Who Governs questions.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sods law this will see an uptick in support for Trump.

Yes but it all depends. Survival is crucial. Worst case Biden, Trump, the VP have all been exposed and most of the Cabinet. Then we are talking Designated Survivor territory. Best case everyone just shrugs it off and this is just one extra drama in the election saga

Upvote 0

samiam

Jun 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟12,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
First of all, while I am no fan of Trump, he is in my prayers, and I hope he has a quick and full recovery.

If, heaven forbid, the worst happens and Trump passes away or is incapacitated, it will be a Pence vs. Biden election on November 3rd. Should something happen to Pence, Peloski (yes, Peloski) becomes president, which may have very interesting effects on Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination. In terms of the presidential election, should both Trump and Pence go, but Trump gets the majority of electors, the electors, probably in cooperation with the Republican party, decide who gets the White House (I wonder how electors in states which don’t allow faithless electors would handle the situation).

I think Pence has more of a chance to win than Trump does; Biden will have to give us more than “I’m not Trump”. Should Biden have gotten the virus at the debate. and succumbs to it, I don’t think Harris has good chances, although I think Trump vs. Harris is better for her than Pence vs. Harris.

If all die (not likely, especially with Harris), the electors will decide. It would be unprecedented, but Trump’s electors will probably choose some Republican, and Biden’s electors will choose one of the moderate democrats who dropped out this spring.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes most people just recover but others have lung damage or lose sense of smell or taste. Not under estimating potential severity. But if Trump shrugs this off that makes him look good. If he succumbs then Pence is the candidate. If both are sick on election day there is an uncertainty in the choice. If Biden is also infected then the American people and the onlooking world have no idea if whichever candidate is voted in will actually survive till office. Big Who Governs questions.
I think the person governing would be the vice president, who'd then have to pick a new VP.

If Trump shrugs this off, which chanches are he does, it proves nothing.

Apparently, there a number of factors in play that decide how severe the infection is, and none of them have any influence on the ability of governing.

It's a silly way to choose a president, but not much sillier than the usual "who can collect more money".

And besides.. if it's Pence versus Biden, I'm pretty sure Pence has the upper hand.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

For some folk there are long term health problems generated from Covid-19.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, while I am no fan of Trump, he is in my prayers, and I hope he has a quick and full recovery.

If, heaven forbid, the worst happens and Trump passes away or is incapacitated, it will be a Pence vs. Biden election on November 3rd. Should something happen to Pence, Peloski (yes, Peloski) becomes president, which may have very interesting effects on Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination. In terms of the presidential election, should both Trump and Pence go, but Trump gets the majority of electors, the electors, probably in cooperation with the Republican party, decide who gets the White House (I wonder how electors in states which don’t allow faithless electors would handle the situation).

I think Pence has more of a chance to win than Trump does; Biden will have to give us more than “I’m not Trump”. Should Biden have gotten the virus at the debate. and succumbs to it, I don’t think Harris has good chances, although I think Trump vs. Harris is better for her than Pence vs. Harris.

If all die (not likely, especially with Harris), the electors will decide. It would be unprecedented, but Trump’s electors will probably choose some Republican, and Biden’s electors will choose one of the moderate democrats who dropped out this spring.

I don't belive the Electoral College can decide the election in the way you think. It was questionable if it was Constitutional to begin with -- the problem now is that about half the states of "faithless elector" laws, that require the elector to vote for the Candidate that got the most votes in their states.

I see two scenarios -- though likely the Supreme Court would weigh in (after various groups challenge whatever is attempted). First, the Electoral College would confirm the "election results" -- electing two dead people. Then, likely, the Speaker of the House becomes the President and nominates a VP. Hopefully, in this case, the House would be controlled by the party who won the Presidency.

The second scenario is that the Electoral College would "split." Basically, those required to vote for the "winner" of their state would vote for the dead person, but other electors change their vote, so that no candidate receives a majority of the vote. That would cause the vote to be determined by the House of Representatives. Technically, they are only supposed to vote for the "top 3" finishers in the election. I suspect that both parties would go to court to allow them to replace their Presidential nominees, so that the House could then vote between three live persons.

It would be intersting but hope we don't see it -- and it seems unlikely that all would die. Current rates of death would indicate it is unlikely that more than one of the candidates might die; with a good chance, even if all were sick, that they all would recover.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the person governing would be the vice president, who'd then have to pick a new VP.

Apparently, there a number of factors in play that decide how severe the infection is, and none of them have any influence on the ability of governing.

It's a silly way to choose a president, but not much sillier than the usual "who can collect more money".

And besides.. if it's Pence versus Biden, I'm pretty sure Pence has the upper hand.
Personally, I would not vote for Biden as he is far too old for the job. I don't think he would last the first term if elected.

Pence is another candidate to consider if anything happens to Trump.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So the protocol is that the leader of the House of Reps is third in line interesting. Of course it is possible that Barrett herself is infected cause she has met with Trump and his staff recently

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't belive the Electoral College can decide the election in the way you think. It was questionable if it was Constitutional to begin with -- the problem now is that about half the states of "faithless elector" laws, that require the elector to vote for the Candidate that got the most votes in their states.

I see two scenarios -- though likely the Supreme Court would weigh in (after various groups challenge whatever is attempted). First, the Electoral College would confirm the "election results" -- electing two dead people. Then, likely, the Speaker of the House becomes the President and nominates a VP. Hopefully, in this case, the House would be controlled by the party who won the Presidency.

The second scenario is that the Electoral College would "split." Basically, those required to vote for the "winner" of their state would vote for the dead person, but other electors change their vote, so that no candidate receives a majority of the vote. That would cause the vote to be determined by the House of Representatives. Technically, they are only supposed to vote for the "top 3" finishers in the election. I suspect that both parties would go to court to allow them to replace their Presidential nominees, so that the House could then vote between three live persons.

It would be intersting but hope we don't see it -- and it seems unlikely that all would die. Current rates of death would indicate it is unlikely that more than one of the candidates might die; with a good chance, even if all were sick, that they all would recover.

Do you have any third candidates for this presidential election who , even though they get only a couple of hundred thousand votes would then take the place of the two dead candidates before them in the listings?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well yes if Trump succumbs to cv19 the Republicans could well win the election.

Upvote 0

samiam

Jun 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟12,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I think, in a Pence v. Biden race, Pence will have the edge in Florida and Arizona. The Rust Belt (PA, WI, MI, and MN) is more interesting, but those states tend to choose the Democrat when all is said and done; 2016 was by and large a case of voters in those states not being able to pull the level for Hillary after Sanders lost the primary.

My Pence v. Biden prediction is that Biden will pick up PA, MI, and WI compared to 2016’s results, giving him 278 electoral votes: 2020 Presidential Election Interactive Map

With Trump v. Biden, I think Biden will also get Florida and Arizona, and possibly North Carolina: 2020 Presidential Election Interactive Map

Pence, being relatively young, is very unlikely to succumb to COVID-19. However, if he were to, I think Biden will do very well versus “whoever the Republicans end up choosing”, 350+ EVs. Pence v. Harris is probably a Pence win; I just can’t see enough rust belt voters pulling the level for a woman. “Unknown Republican” vs. Harris could go either way. Harris is in her mid-50s, so is also unlikely to succumb to COVID-19, but I think Trump would lose against “unknown Democrat” but Pence would win. “Unknown Republican” vs. “Unknown Democrat” would probably have the Democrats winning, same as Biden v. Pence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yesitstrue

Sep 11, 2020
palm Desert
✟9,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Do you think Trump remembers doing this?

upload_2020-10-2_2-11-13.png

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,803.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
All I'll say is that if he'd tried harder to model hygiene, distancing, and mask-wearing, it would have significantly reduced his likelihood of getting it. However, given the number of people a politician must meet with on any given day, it would never be possible to eliminate it entirely. He's not the first political figure to contract it, nor will he be the last.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.