Los Angeles Area
✟829,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
President Donald Trump wrote Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan an extraordinary letter warning him not to be "a tough guy" or "a fool" as his forces launched their attack on northern Syria, a White House official confirmed to NBC News.

The Hill with the text.

Dear Mr. President,

Let’s work out a good deal! You don’t want to be responsible for slaughtering thousands of people, and I don’t want to be responsible for destroying the Turkish economy—and I will. I've already given you a little sample with respect to Pastor Brunson.

I have worked hard to solve some of your problems. Don't let the world down. You can make a great deal. General Mazloum is willing to negotiate with you, and he is willing to make concessions that they would never have made in the past. I am confidentially enclosing a copy of his letter to me, just received.

History will look upon you favorably if you get this done the right and humane way. It will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen. Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!

I will call you later.

Sincerely,

Donald Trump

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Removing the salutation and closing:

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level Grade 5.3 Age 10.3

This text has 13 sentences, with 145 words (11.15 per sentence) with 1.4 syllables per word.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
President Donald Trump wrote Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan an extraordinary letter warning him not to be "a tough guy" or "a fool" as his forces launched their attack on northern Syria, a White House official confirmed to NBC News.

The Hill with the text.

Dear Mr. President,

Let’s work out a good deal! You don’t want to be responsible for slaughtering thousands of people, and I don’t want to be responsible for destroying the Turkish economy—and I will. I've already given you a little sample with respect to Pastor Brunson.

I have worked hard to solve some of your problems. Don't let the world down. You can make a great deal. General Mazloum is willing to negotiate with you, and he is willing to make concessions that they would never have made in the past. I am confidentially enclosing a copy of his letter to me, just received.

History will look upon you favorably if you get this done the right and humane way. It will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen. Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!

I will call you later.

Sincerely,

Donald Trump

What an utter embarrassment. Typical of Donald but embarrassing nevertheless.

I agree with George Conway about the world is both laughing and terrified on account of how deranged the letter is.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In any case, it seems the Turks could care less what the rest of the world, or the American leader, has to say. Turkish nationalism rules...

“Americans, Europeans, Chinese, Arabs — all united against Turkey,” the front-page of Sozcu, a newspaper usually fiercely opposed to Mr. Erdogan, said on Wednesday. “Bring it on.”

In the last few weeks, the Turkish national soccer team has backed Mr. Erdogan’s campaign by giving military salutes at two international matches. Pop singers have expressed their support on social media. Even the head of Turkey’s largest art fair emailed its international mailing list to condemn the “black propaganda” of international media coverage of the military operation.

The World Condemns Erdogan’s War on Kurds. But Turkey Applauds.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I still find it unbelievable that the USA could actually have elected this person as president. Is he a real life "Manchurian candidate"?

I wish I could find it unbelievable but having grown up around folks (none family) who bought up Donald's racist birther conspiracy theory about President Obama hook, line and sinker, it's not that shocking that we're in this mess. Dismaying as heck, oh yes. Believable, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish I could find it unbelievable but having grown up around folks (none family) who bought up Donald's racist birther conspiracy theory about President Obama hook, line and sinker, it's not that shocking that we're in this mess. Dismaying as heck, oh yes. Believable, unfortunately.

The America of this era will go down in the history books as an example of how easily people can be manipulated - in the age of the internet, big data analysis, etc.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is already a thread on that, and why should a letter be difficult to understand?
I actually sort of enjoyed the letter for its brevity, and being simple, and easy to understand.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I actually sort of enjoyed the letter for its brevity, and being simple, and easy to understand.

I enjoyed it as a joke. Most folks assumed that what is was. I was wanting for the Trump folks to get their poutrage on saying it was fake news, defend it. As an actual letter it is an imbecilic disgrace. Yes, it's written on a simple level a seven-year-old could read and uses reasoning at that level to boot.

• Agree
Reactions: evoeth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I enjoyed it as a joke. Most folks assumed that what is was. I was wanting for the Trump folks to get their poutrage on saying it was fake news, defend it. As an actual letter it is an imbecilic disgrace. Yes, it's written on a simple level a seven-year-old could read and uses reasoning at that level to boot.

I don't think he's dumb, by a long shot. I actually think he's quite bright. But he's extremely direct and blunt. To a point some seem to find difficult to reconcile with his rank. For him, though, it's like "I'm just gonna say what I think and send it to Erdogan!" and he sees no problem with this.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think he's dumb, by a long shot. I actually think he's quite bright. But he's extremely direct and blunt. To a point some seem to find difficult to reconcile with his rank. For him, though, it's like "I'm just gonna say what I think and send it to Erdogan!" and he sees no problem with this.

Of course Donald sees no problem with this. Praise the good Lord almighty most other folks do. I don't think he's dumb. I do think he's got zero self control. The letter is a reflection of his immaturity. It's written on the level of a silly child thinking he's going to be able to bully a grown man with a little letter. It's up there with thinking that a stomping your foot and sticking your lip out is going to impress anybody. I do sincerely feel sorry for anybody naive enough to think that this letter is going to do one lick of good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I still find it unbelievable that the USA could actually have elected this person as president. Is he a real life "Manchurian candidate"?
People are so desperate for change, they'll take change for the worse.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0