Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Statue of Liberty is different because it represents an idea, not a person. One could, I suppose, say the same for the Donald statue, which would explain why it's made of fake gold... which would certainly explain its popularity at CPAC.

The MLK and Lincoln statues are to memorize people after they are dead. While Donald will indeed one day go the way of all flesh, he does not yet qualify.

could it be viewed as a modern day bust?

Here's a bust of Napoleon. I heard it was sculpted while Napoleon was still alive.

main-image.jpeg.jpg

"Napoleon famously rejected Canova’s monumental portrayal of him as Mars because of the statue’s nudity. The bust Canova derived from it conversely became one of the emperor’s important official images."
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/239576

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What makes the Trump statue so uncomfortable is the accompanying "Trump is God's representative on earth!" rhetoric that tends to go hand in hand with, shall we say, enthusiastic appreciation for him.

Especially galling is the fact that some of the same folks who made a lot of hay out of needling liberals for supposedly worshiping Obama as "the one" back in the day are the same ones who unironically seem to consider Trump as a sort of right-wing pope.
Ringo

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What makes the Trump statue so uncomfortable is the accompanying "Trump is God's representative on earth!" rhetoric that tends to go hand in hand with, shall we say, enthusiastic appreciation for him.

Especially galling is the fact that some of the same folks who made a lot of hay out of needling liberals for supposedly worshiping Obama as "the one" back in the day are the same ones who unironically seem to consider Trump as a sort of right-wing pope.
Ringo

Galling to you (as a Christian); amusing to me.

Especially when you consider that these are probably the very same folks who were up in arms about the "messianic" rhetoric surrounding Obama -- so secure in their belief that they themselves could never be so easily and thoroughly duped.

#KansasCityShuffle

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your eyes must be better than mine. Where on or near the statue in question is that wording found?

Ringo
That's interesting imagery, even though you seem to be the only one who is aware of anybody thinking Trump is some sort of right-wing pope. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Especially when you consider that these are probably the very same folks who were up in arms about the "messianic" rhetoric surrounding Obama -- so secure in their belief that they themselves could never be so easily and thoroughly duped.
But all of these alleged honors being directed at Trump are simply inventions of people who never liked him in the first place and enjoy speaking ill of him, whether what's said derisively has any basis in reality or not.

In the case of Obama, however, he WAS indeed referred to as a 'Messiah' by a very prominent Obama supporter.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

I'm not a Christian. When you consider every "God" to be false, it hardly matters which one is the current flavor-of-the-month.

I'll tell you one thing -- if the AntiChrist ever does show up and dupe the "false" Christians into following him, whatever scheme he comes up with, he's going to kick himself for overthinking it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In that regard only. But even so, innumerable leaders meet the test of being strongly liked by some of the population and strongly disliked by the rest. That's routine stuff. In just our own country's history, most of the presidents we've had fit that description.

• Agree
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
But all of these alleged honors being directed at Trump are simply inventions of people who never liked him in the first place and enjoy speaking ill of him, whether what's said derisively has any basis in reality or not.

People like Rick Perry?

Rick Perry Says That Trump Is God's “Chosen One”

Or Sarah Huckabee-Sanders?

Sarah Sanders says 'God wanted Trump to be president'

Or Wayne Allan Root?

Donald Trump: 'I am the chosen one' - Premier Christian News | Headlines, Breaking News, Comment & Analysis

Or these folks?

Trump was "chosen by God" says supporters

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In that regard only. But even so, innumerable leaders meet the test of being strongly liked by some of the population and strongly disliked by the rest. That's routine stuff. In just our own country's history, most of the presidents we've had fit that description.

True.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In that regard only. But even so, innumerable leaders meet the test of being strongly liked by some of the population and strongly disliked by the rest.

This is true.

In your opinion, did Donald pass his test?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
People like Rick Perry?
Possibly, although some of those seem to have held different views of him at different times.

So, do you have a point? None of what you posted shows that any of the people you named worshipped Trump, considered Trump to be a Messiah or called him that, any "golden idols," or the rest of this sort of thing that's been posted in this thread.

I know by now that it's too much to hope that discussions of politics won't feature pure fiction for the sake of the shock value, but every so often I think it deserves to be mentioned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a Christian. When you consider every "God" to be false, it hardly matters which one is the current flavor-of-the-month.

I'll tell you one thing -- if the AntiChrist ever does show up and dupe the "false" Christians into following him, whatever scheme he comes up with, he's going to kick himself for overthinking it.

You probably were not one then either.

Third request. did you raise the issue when it was Barack being touted as a Messiah?

Evidently you find importance right now, did you find the importance then?

Not a hard question either you did or you did not.

Which is it? Can you please answer that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Possibly, although some of those seem to have held different views of him at different times.

So, do you have a point? None of what you posted shows that any of the people you named worshipped Trump, considered Trump to be a Messiah or called him that, or the rest of what's been posted in this thread.

Exactly my point. There is a difference between a selfie and worship.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so virtually no one considered Obama an actual messiah.

And virtually no one considers Trump to be any of those ridiculous characterizations that have occupied most of the space in this thread. Not even those folks who got a kick out of posting them.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.