United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just checking here -

When Barack was referred to as a messiah, was anyone on the left, or atheist bringing up objections?

Common Core Lesson Teaches Children Obama Is A Messiah
During the Soul Train Awards in 2012, comedian and actor Jamie Foxx exhorted a wildly cheering crowd to "first of all (give) honor to god, and our lord and savior Barack Obama," exhibiting the all-too-widespread hero worship that casts rational thought aside and labels even legitimate criticism as virtual blasphemy.
Anyone complain? Beuler? Beuler?

Messianic rhetoric infuses Obama rallies

In a giant Sunday afternoon rally suffused with Christian – and at times messianic – rhetoric, Barack Obama made his largest-scale pitch to black and white Democrats of South Carolina, the third and most devout presidential primary state.
Beuler? Beuler?

How about children singing praises to the messiah Obama

If you didn't raise the same issues then, why are you raising them now?

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,535.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I am not sure if I can, but I'll try.

You are anticipating what it might be like to be a Christian rather than experiencing it first-hand.
You are operating from theory rather than experience. The latter cannot be accurately estimated by outsiders.
Ah, I see. Okay, I’ll phrase it as a question. Would a Christian (specifically excluding people who profess to be Christian but do not follow God’s rules of behaviour) act in such a way as to appear as if they were engaging in idolatry?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...act in such a way as to appear as if they were engaging in idolatry?
That goes back to
"Are selfies the same as idolatry, or are they just silliness...?"
I see Trump as having been an exceptional POTUS, but he is still going to Hell if he doesn't get saved (just like everybody else).

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You know, deity the Christians revere. Purported not to like the worship of idols. You would have thought people who profess to be Christians would try to obey his commands.

Well, the Good News is that Christians have a personal relationship with someone who has promised to forgive them every time they choose not to obey the deity's commands.

Anyone can play golf like Arnold Palmer... with an infinite supply of Mulligans.

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Bethcha I do. And the vast majority of 75,000,000 others who have the capacity to tell the differencer between taking a selfie at a convention and worshiping an idol. And it doesn't take 30 pieces of silver to learn that either.

The statue tides them over until the real Idol arrives.

But let's see if this statue isn't just a symptom of the bigger problem -- CPAC is supposed to be a symposium of American Conservative ideas...

So.... what are their ideas this year?

One day I pray you come into a relationship with it's author.

The only such relationships I've seen have been too toxic for my liking.

Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,535.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That goes back to
I see Trump as having been an exceptional POTUS, but he is still going to Hell if he doesn't get saved (just like everybody else).
That does not answer my question to you. It’s okay if you don’t want to answer.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The statue tides them over until the real Idol arrives.

But let's see if this statue isn't just a symptom of the bigger problem -- CPAC is supposed to be a symposium of American Conservative ideas...

If CNN is every hiring, you could make a great Jim Acosta, you never leave your accusations once stated and completely ignore a reply

I hear they pay very well.

case in point

When Barack was referred to as a messiah, was anyone on the left, or atheist bringing up objections?

Common Core Lesson Teaches Children Obama Is A Messiah
During the Soul Train Awards in 2012, comedian and actor Jamie Foxx exhorted a wildly cheering crowd to "first of all (give) honor to god, and our lord and savior Barack Obama," exhibiting the all-too-widespread hero worship that casts rational thought aside and labels even legitimate criticism as virtual blasphemy.
Anyone complain? Beuler? Beuler?

Messianic rhetoric infuses Obama rallies

In a giant Sunday afternoon rally suffused with Christian – and at times messianic – rhetoric, Barack Obama made his largest-scale pitch to black and white Democrats of South Carolina, the third and most devout presidential primary state.
Beuler? Beuler?

How about children singing praises to the messiah Obama

If you didn't raise the same issues then, why are you raising them now?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That does not answer my question to you. It’s okay if you don’t want to answer.
You'd first have to come up with an actual idol or real idolatry if you want an assessment of it.

If that's not forthcoming, the only possible answer has to be categorical: "Idolatry is wrong."

But this has been said already. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That goes back to

Well, we know what happens when the blind lead the blind... what happens when the damned lead the self-proclaimed "saved"?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like the Statue of Liberty, the Martin Luther King monument, and the Lincoln Memorial?

:mmh:

I don't even have a problem with Buddha statues.

61roD1KtSaL._AC_SX466_.jpg

...In fact, I can't think of a single idol I don't like.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If CNN is every hiring, you could make a great Jim Acosta, you never leave your accusations once stated and completely ignore a reply

I hear they pay very well.

I'm sorry; did you mean to quote someone else?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, we know what happens when the blind lead the blind... what happens when the damned lead the self-proclaimed "saved"?

Matthew 23:15 -
15“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.
Ringo

• Winner
Reactions: TLK Valentine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Like the Statue of Liberty, the Martin Luther King monument, and the Lincoln Memorial?

:mmh:

The Statue of Liberty is different because it represents an idea, not a person. One could, I suppose, say the same for the Donald statue, which would explain why it's made of fake gold... which would certainly explain its popularity at CPAC.

The MLK and Lincoln statues are to memorize people after they are dead. While Donald will indeed one day go the way of all flesh, he does not yet qualify.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No one is worshipping him, they are taking selfie’s at a Republican event with a mock up of the former President in a Stars and Stripes bathing suit.

good grief. Have we brought distain of an individual to such a level that we can’t even have a humorous moment?

Good thing they didn’t put it in a Speedo, who knows what the accusations would be?!
Your arguments are so coloured by bias and patently absurd.
If Biden wheeled out a golden idol of himself you'd be all over it.
And left leaning christians would be ALLLLLL over it.

The depths to which Trump stoops to show you his lack of faith and desire to be worshipped is a never ending. That right leaning christians continue to make excuses for this, while their brothers and sister implore them to open their eyes to what is in front of them, it's just shocking.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No one is worshipping him, they are taking selfie’s at a Republican event with a mock up of the former President in a Stars and Stripes bathing suit.

good grief. Have we brought distain of an individual to such a level that we can’t even have a humorous moment?

Good thing they didn’t put it in a Speedo, who knows what the accusations would be?!
That's the modern version of worship.

What happens when people meet their favourite super star....they don't bow down and worship. They take selfies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.