Trump's DACA "Meeting of Love"

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If Coulter only figured out now that Trump is a dimwit, she's not as bright as I thought.

How else is Donald going to pass himself off as a genius?

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right or wrong Trump (and Reagan before him) simply voiced what many Americans (enough to get them elected) already think.
I could not agree more. Many Americans are racists, xenophobes, anti-science, and otherwise desirous of sticking it to those they don't like. Lest the powers misunderstand, the same is true if people in many countries.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Obama used "executive orders" because he couldn't get those changes through Congress. Trump is no different as the Congress is no different. If Republicans were in lock step Trump could get everything passed. As it is his own party is divided and many fight him every step of the way.

Regarding conservative values Trump has defined and distilled what most conservatives never dared hope for.

And by what authority is "becoming presidential" measured in 'months'?

Gridlock, confusion, and indecision are the hallmarks of government. Trump didn't invent them last year.
where in my post do I talk about Executive orders? You are trying to find commonality between Trump and Obama to make it seem like they are in the same league in terms of equivalency.

Let me be crystal clear.

My problems with Trump have nothing to do with Executive Orders. My problems with Trump is he runs his entire administration as if he has no clue. The members within his own cabinet fight each other, multiple sources CONSTANTLY have described the WHite House as a Chaotic place and this is backed up by the numerous appearances of cabinet clowns and staffers coming on TV and giving contradictory stories which are then futher contradicted by the President himself days later if not hours later...

My problem with Trump is how he presents himself, his tweeting, and speaking to us and the world as if we are all morons that just fell off the turnip truck yesterday.

If you want to talk equivalencies you can compare Bush to Obama. At least they are within the same "league" as each other. Personally I believe Obama was a much better president but even with that, they are in the same league, like comparing wolves to dogs...

Trump is not in Obama's league, not even in the same ball park. The mistakes Trump makes and constantly makes is unprecedented and you have to use every mental contortion and argumentative trick and logical fallacy to warp reality such that you can somehow equate Trump to Obama and I'm sorry, my brain doesn't bend that far...

And I say this as a person who votes Republican roughly 30% of the time. I hate both parties and I feel I'm fairly impartial in my assessments. I'm also former government so I can read between the lines and I understand the "true" ramifications of what we see in the media. And based on what we are allowed to see, what is happening behind closed doors in his administration is so bad that it defies words...

• Agree
Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
200439.png

Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
where in my post do I talk about Executive orders? You are trying to find commonality between Trump and Obama to make it seem like they are in the same league in terms of equivalency.

Let me be crystal clear.

My problems with Trump have nothing to do with Executive Orders. My problems with Trump is he runs his entire administration as if he has no clue. The members within his own cabinet fight each other, multiple sources CONSTANTLY have described the WHite House as a Chaotic place and this is backed up by the numerous appearances of cabinet clowns and staffers coming on TV and giving contradictory stories which are then futher contradicted by the President himself days later if not hours later...

My problem with Trump is how he presents himself, his tweeting, and speaking to us and the world as if we are all morons that just fell off the turnip truck yesterday.

If you want to talk equivalencies you can compare Bush to Obama. At least they are within the same "league" as each other. Personally I believe Obama was a much better president but even with that, they are in the same league, like comparing wolves to dogs...

Trump is not in Obama's league, not even in the same ball park. The mistakes Trump makes and constantly makes is unprecedented and you have to use every mental contortion and argumentative trick and logical fallacy to warp reality such that you can somehow equate Trump to Obama and I'm sorry, my brain doesn't bend that far...

And I say this as a person who votes Republican roughly 30% of the time. I hate both parties and I feel I'm fairly impartial in my assessments. I'm also former government so I can read between the lines and I understand the "true" ramifications of what we see in the media. And based on what we are allowed to see, what is happening behind closed doors in his administration is so bad that it defies words...

Grant wasn't in the same "league" as the useless Generals he replaced either.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,421,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
✔@realDonaldTrump

The language used by me at the DACA meeting was tough, but this was not the language used. What was really tough was the outlandish proposal made - a big setback for DACA!

According to details provided by aides, the deal would allow DACA recipients a minimum 10-year path to citizenship and allocate at least $1.5 billion for design and construction of a border fence as well as at least $1 billion more for additional border surveillance, technology and manpower; specify that parents of DACA recipients would be ineligible for citizenship; and replace the diversity lottery program with a new system dividing the visas between people who have received temporary protected status and people selected on the basis of merit from low-immigration countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/talks-on-a-potential-immigration-deal-continue-with-deep-skepticism-on-both-sides/2018/01/11/d9f53ae8-f6cd-11e7-a9e3-ab18ce41436a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_dacadeal830pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.e9662f23c484

Can anyone point out which portion of the proposal is "outlandish"?

<crickets>

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Obama used "executive orders" because he couldn't get those changes through Congress. Trump is no different as the Congress is no different. If Republicans were in lock step Trump could get everything passed. As it is his own party is divided and many fight him every step of the way.

Then it would seem that Donald is, in fact, quite different from his predecessor.

Regarding conservative values Trump has defined and distilled what most conservatives never dared hope for.

Unconditional loyalty?

And by what authority is "becoming presidential" measured in 'months'?

Gridlock, confusion, and indecision are the hallmarks of government. Trump didn't invent them last year.

His administration continues to embody them.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
How creative that math has become. The recession that began in 2006 sent far more “Mexicans” home than anything enforcement will.Now I liked seeing some apparent cracking down on employers that knowingly hire undocumented workers.

Me too. And if they would crack down on selling
or renting property to illegals, letting them get
driver's licenses, bank accounts and credit cards,
or putting the children in schools, most would go
home voluntarily.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

✔@realDonaldTrump

The language used by me at the DACA meeting was tough, but this was not the language used. What was really tough was the outlandish proposal made - a big setback for DACA!

Can anyone point out which portion of the proposal is "outlandish"?

Anything beyond "Build a wall and send them home."
Amnesty of any kind is outlandish.
Why?
Because no requirements or standards will stick for long.
Amnesty for the few will eventually be amnesty for all.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,421,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything beyond "Build a wall and send them home."
Amnesty of any kind is outlandish.
Why?
Because no requirements or standards will stick for long.
Amnesty for the few will eventually be amnesty for all.

Fortunately, very few Americans share your view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Fortunately, very few Americans share your view.

I hope you're just saying that even though
you know better. I would say nearly half
of Americans want them gone, if not more.

The rest don't understand how they are
destroying the country from within. Not
just the illegals, but those who support them.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,421,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The vast majority of Americans support protecting DACA recipients:

September Poll:

Americans were asked whether they support “a program that allows undocumented immigrants to stay in the United States if they arrived here as a child, completed high school or military service and have not been convicted of a serious crime,” all elements of DACA, established by Barack Obama by executive order in 2012. Support spans demographic groups, including three-quarters of Republicans and conservatives, 86 and 87 percent of independents and moderates, and 97 and 96 percent of Democrats and liberals.

Americans back DACA by a huge margin

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The vast majority of Americans support protecting DACA recipients:

September Poll:

Americans were asked whether they support “a program that allows undocumented immigrants to stay in the United States if they arrived here as a child, completed high school or military service and have not been convicted of a serious crime,” all elements of DACA, established by Barack Obama by executive order in 2012. Support spans demographic groups, including three-quarters of Republicans and conservatives, 86 and 87 percent of independents and moderates, and 97 and 96 percent of Democrats and liberals.

Americans back DACA by a huge margin

The Right cheating veterans -- color me shocked.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,437.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thankfully the court has taken DACA out of Republicans' hateful hands until, hopefully, they no longer hold a majority in Congress. We don't have to be blackmailed by Trump's xenophobic, childish, and illogical wall demands. Even if the case is appealed the Supreme Court couldn't rule till June, 2019.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thankfully the court has taken DACA out of Republicans' hateful hands until, hopefully, they no longer hold a majority in Congress. We don't have to be blackmailed by Trump's xenophobic, childish, and illogical wall demands. Even if the case is appealed the Supreme Court couldn't rule till June, 2019.

So, the courts have taken away the pressure from Congress to act. I haven't read the decision, but I can't see the Supreme Court forcing government to accept DACA kids, without any congressional action to support that decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This was not the case when immigration reform was passed in the Senate and blocked by the far, far right in the House. It is not true now.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
But while this is lumbering thru the courts the Democrats will take over one or both houses of Congress, neutralizing Trump--and perhaps impeach in him.
I'm not sure of your point. Now is the time for DACA, not when there is a Democratic House, or during impeachment proceedings. Trump is more likely to support the DACA kids that Ryan or others in the House.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How do you figure?
Many in the House believe that all illegals and all on temporary status should be deported before anyone is given a path to citizenship. The bills coming out of the House address much more than DACA. Senators would like to have a DACA/wall bill if Trump would sign it, and then deal with immigration reform the next day (as Trump indicated). The House has little interest in immigration reform, calling it amnesty.

It seems the moment of having a DACA/wall bill may have passed. The president and now Democrats are now considering a DACA fix as part of any deal to keep the government running. From Trump's deal-making perspective, he wasn't going to allow Democrats to get two sets of demands, one for the wall, and another to keep the government open, with greatly increased military spending.

The very sad situation for Republicans is that both the DACA fix and the CHIP extension are supported by most Republicans, and will not acting will hurt Republicans in swing districts in the fall. Of course, opposing such legislation will increase Trump's standing among his nationalist base.

Last edited:
Upvote 0